DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• Tiling will be solved, the base texture is actually much taller (x3), so it's a matter of taking a lower crop. I await a bit more feedback before I make the final push. It's the hardest one I've ever done. Thank you for your response :)
  • Ok, I think it's ready:aa0ngwe3zk6d.png

Original:y16hlaa5wqgs.png
    New ones:
    tay26wiwkv0z.png
    5v6i1gtcnvrc.png
    hwelu8ug5iyj.png
    4azffljekbgy.png

I had to tune the saturation, colour accuracy, brightness, tiling. But I'm happy with this result.

• edited 2019 Feb 18
    Hey, know that's a beautiful blood fall.
    Here's what it looks like animated, when the images are put into the right order:

iOYpVFj.gif

The question is whether these images also work for water and nukage falls, because of the big blood drops. I guess for the water and nukage falls the drops probably need to be smaller, though for the slime fall it could work just fine.

EDIT:
    Just rechecked DOOM, DOOM2, Plutonia and TNT for liquid-fall images:
    • Only Plutonia.wad contains waterfall images
    • The nukage falls are actually named SFALL1-4
    • There are no brown slime fall images available at all
    oh6cu8k1dakd.png
  • edited 2019 Feb 18
    Thank you for the compliments, and the animation Gif. God knows how hard this bfall was to make, but now I know :)
    The slime / nukage looks like a simple recolouring, likewise is the waterfall.
    I think I can make the drops to be more transparent, take the shine off, make it a bit less contrasty and subdued. For the water I can add a bit of occasional local spray. I see what I can do tonight, first I need to make myself some dinner!

I just started on the Slime fall, and I discover that in the shadow it leans towards yellow, while in the brights it's more green, however the nukage floor texture has a consistent green hue. I prefer to make the Slime fall match the colours of the floor texture, to allow for a smooth match between the wall and floor.
    ggszyvzi545w.png
    Here are the 4 png's for the Sfall:
    x22qs1utvexq.png
    kq4hyvfiertn.png
    akhb94y013dm.png
    a42f1iq8etbq.png

You may also noticed that I gave the fall a small glow.

Now on to the waterfall.
  • edited 2019 Feb 18
    kars wrote: »
    God knows how hard it was to make, but now I know
    Why, you mean the GIF? It wasn't hard to make at all, but your part was certainly hard to accomplish.

Actually there are only two maps in DOOM2 making use of the Blood fall image, MAP25 and MAP28. So if you like to see the blood falls ingame, the latter map has some huge blood fall walls well worth a visit.

For the water I can add a bit of occasional local spray.
    Sounds tempting, as long as it doesn't break the tiling effect.

I see what I can do tonight, first I need to make myself some dinner!
    Enjoy your meal! It's definitely well deserved. :)
  • > @kars said:
    > Ok, I think it's ready:
    >
    > Original:
    > New ones:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I had to tune the saturation, colour accuracy, brightness, tiling. But I'm happy with this result.

I do not have time now try it in game but I like it. Looks very nice
  • edited 2019 Feb 19
    marcelus wrote: »
    I do not have time now try it in game but I like it.
    Here are some in-game impressions of the blood fall:

Original:
    https://i.imgur.com/CNjdgJ5.mp4

kars:
    https://i.imgur.com/EugqRH2.mp4
  • kars wrote: »
    I prefer to make the Slime fall match the colours of the floor texture, to allow for a smooth match between the wall and floor.
    Sweet!

Animated slime fall:
    dQOYaA0.gif

Some in-game impressions of the slime fall:

Original:
    https://i.imgur.com/UCfQvsD.mp4

kars:
    https://i.imgur.com/EvY0ejo.mp4
  • edited 2019 Feb 19
    Kind of makes me wish there was an options to automatically scroll a material in a material def, like how we can apply smooth animation to a material.

EDIT: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2322
  • Wow, very good work!
  • edited 2019 Feb 23
    I do not like how I made floor4_1 texture and I must done completely new texture :D

before

xv9zkp9gtkis.png

now

kqkqvqyqlat7.png

Original

a03vg3hkeeo6.png
    deus-ex wrote: »
    marcelus wrote: »
    I do not have time now try it in game but I like it.
    Here are some in-game impressions of the blood fall:

Original:
    https://i.imgur.com/CNjdgJ5.mp4

kars:
    https://i.imgur.com/EugqRH2.mp4

maybe some more drops would be fine add but still looks nice

• Thanks for the recognition and encouragement. I've made the waterfall version.
    Original:sw6n14w934wn.png
    t4c96z2ol5di.png
    New WFALL1
    2z5of172dmcl.png
    WFALL2
    ckk3hf6kqwzg.png
    WFALL3
    mkrgjuupshy7.png
    WFALL4
    i38nxchgjvs9.png

As you see the new one is a bit darker, but this is (again) to make it fit the water floor texture. This water texture does not look like very realistic water, but it does fit the game's originals nature. Hope you guys like it enough.
  • marcelus wrote: »
    I do not like how I made floor4_1 texture and I must done completely new texture :d
    Agreed, your new floor4_1 is even better than your previous version, it's a pretty accurate recreation of the original. Well done!
  • edited 2019 Feb 23
    I've made the waterfall version.
    Animated Waterfall:
    Fnkbv23.gif

Ingame original:
    https://i.imgur.com/VQLWeM9.mp4

Ingame kars:
    https://i.imgur.com/juPmwG3.mp4

Yes indeed it is a bit on the dark side. I wonder how it looks like with the waves doubled (see draft below):

avmSQAV.jpg
    Could you give this a try?
  • edited 2019 Feb 24
    Now I try shotgun sprite. Yes is not close to original but original is so small and after upscaling do not see nothing useful. I made it for me but if someone like it here is high_res shotgun.

lic6pefvm9p8.png

SHOTA0

d0swuepm494l.png

• Nice, I like to see a bit more wear and tear. Also more shadow underneath the bud-stock.
  • Ok lads, I did rework all the fall textures, adding a second / third layer, and tuned the colours and brightness to be even more close to the originals.
    WFALL1
    eqbih00cmly7.png

WFALL2
    7ik84yf04mfz.png

WFALL3
    7ojnqavxddon.png

WFALL4
    n6l0ccyyglxm.png

Original fall and water:3hfxuh8xezci.pngn2f0rumlfmfq.png
  • I did also rework the Blood and slime fall:
    BFALL1:
    fb4wb0nj5e41.png
    BFALL2:
    896xi6vx4dcd.png
    BFALL3:
    wfegng7oxup5.png
    BFALL4:
    0dhm5a7ojq8u.png
    SFALL1:
    1d4kqu525pk0.png
    SFALL2:
    9mnwxo245hjf.png
    SFALL3:
    2aicbnxh2hrh.png
    SFALL4:
    mz43qsnek81x.png
  • There are two blood drops in bfall4.png that are too bright, standing out disturbingly. Check the in-game video below to get the best visual impression of the issue.

Animated Bloodfall:
    vBe5iIL.gif

Bfall4 with marked issue:
    yV67cTF.png

Animated Bloodfall with marked issue:
    FoAAuOD.gif

In-game video:
    https://i.imgur.com/v5AeKnd.mp4
  • Here you go:
    BFALL4:
    f4lw29z5syzn.png
    I also did some work on the green big door:
    azdtbn3nsfuj.png
    Next the tekwalls.

• very nice textures....

A little bit difficult to keep track what's the final version :)

When will these be added to the HRP SVN?
  • edited 2019 Mar 15
    Hi, sorry to ask this directly here, but I wanted to use DHTP alongside brutal doom, but since some textures get replaced it doesn't work very well. I have been manually replacing some textures from DHTP to fit them better, but still there are some original texture from BD that doesn't have a counterpart in DHTP.

Is there any version like this but for BD?

Also, I made an ashwall3(or is it RW22_2 ?) for my personal use. I really like how it looks, but I made it from another texture posted in a random blog (this one), and I did not ask permission to edit it, so I will wait for what you guys have to say about it.

thx

• I know and recognise the BD texture problem, I wonder if BD replaces some original textures with a SAME named texture, or does BD textures have an original name?

Your texture does differ too much to the original in:
    1) light direction: should be top-left
    2) bumpiness roughness / shadows
    3) colours
    4) light-levels

For me the goal is to make a texture that when resized could replace the original without the observant player noticing, reflecting the original in style, colours, saturation, lightlevels, light direction, shape, texture.

I think the current DHTP ashwall textures can be done better, so give it a try!
  • About BD
    All texture replaced in BD have a different name (I have a list of the textures that were replaced) but sometimes BD replaces a texture from the game itself.

About ashwall3
    I don't think my texture will follow te spirit of DHTP because it too different from the original. The problem is that when upscaling in resolution sometimes staying too true to the original just doesnt work.

This is it: (it still needs some work)
    79329202065b67eef7639f12a18bcd63ea511dd3a91014fcfa4e52957921c7da4abdec4a.jpg

Here is a comparison of the 3 textures
    0ucgb47vgtsw.png

• edited 2019 Mar 15
    Welcome to the forum, krazlegan.

It's always nice to see someone contributing new assets to the game. Here's my opinion on your first posted texture, which is basically the same like kars (see previous post):

The color of your texture is too far off of the original and the light level is too high. I don't mind if a new texture doesn't resemble the original by the letter, but besides using a similar surface material the color and light level should be not too far off to be convincing.

Regarding the texture dimensions it's absolutely sufficient to use a size of 512x1024, note that the original uses a size of 64x128. Further increasing the texture resolution does not add anything notable to the image, so it's a just a waste of Graphics card RAM that puts unnecessary weight on the system and increases loading times.

In-game comparison:

Original
    AnwlaBD.jpg
    DHTP
    YyQkbsK.jpg
    krazlegan
    gaDsmaG.jpg
  • Ok, I went to work with Krazlegan's original:
    rc9fbkf7y9zm.png
  • edited 2019 Mar 15
    Ok I did the ashwall1 and 3 to:
    Ashwall1:
    exezfapotben.png

Ashwall3:
    385z44zj7iwe.png

I'm looking through the BD code to see if / how I can turn his retexturing off.
    DYNAMICLEV.txt seems to have some texture info, as well as CVARS.txt

Ok I think it may be in de ACS subdirectory, however I cannot open the compiled ACS files there, is there a way? Or do we go and check what textured he replaced, and make a copy of those and name them to what BD named them?

• edited 2019 Mar 15
    That's fantastic, I knew you guys would do a better job, hahaha

the only problem is that it lost the seamless pattern:

EDIT**: Don't know why that happened but it was a problem on my end. The texture looks awesome!!!!
  • kars wrote: »
    Ok I did the ashwall1 and 3 to:
    Hey, these are freakin' nice. Btw, there is no 'ashwall1' in Doom/Doom2, the correct name is actually 'ashwall2'.

Ok I think it may be in de ACS subdirectory
    No, the ACS directory holds pre-compiled Action Code Scripts used for individual animations, cut scenes and advanced game logic.

Or do we go and check what textured he replaced, and make a copy of those and name them to what BD named them?
    That's what I actually did to replace Brutal Dooms butt ugly Lava textures. It was a lot of work as it required me to replace 74 images in total, 65 alone for the Lava fall. Perhaps there's a better option by providing your own GZDOOM-compatible texture definition, but I have no experience with that yet.

krazlegan wrote: »
    the only problem is that it lost the seamless pattern:
    You must be doing something wrong there, the textures tile pretty fine:

Ashwall3 original
    G3Ghtp8.jpg
    Ashwall3 kars
    ndoV4f8.jpg
    Ashwall2 original
    5UTf9wV.jpg
    Ashwall2 kars
    hzTyMIu.jpg
  • edited 2019 Mar 15
    You can turn off all the BD texture replacement by turning off map enhancment system in BD level options (that removes some useful stuff tho)