DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• Question: is it possible to change the in game texture size?
    Example: a flat grass texture has now the size of 64x64, but to change this into a 1024x1024 texture spread out over a 1024x1024 space?
    Brutal doom seems to do it, and I think the larger base texture size really helps to reduce the repetitive look in the larger areas and on larger surfaces such as a rock wall.
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    I don't think Brutal Doom is able to apply such drastic changes the internal game logic and the structural texture layout. There are no such high-res images to be found within Brutal Doom's distribution.

Of course textures can have a higher resolution, ideally scaled by the power of two (128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc.), but the texture itself will always only cover the space equal/close to the dimension of the original texture. If the scaling of a high-res texture does not properly match the power of two factor, it is fitted (stretched, sqeezed) by the sourceport engine accordingly.
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    Write a material definition that overwrites the original flat with a new larger one?

https://manual.dengine.net/ded/material
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    hi all,

I hate this texture :D Looks so easy and I think this is not much work than some hours but take me more than week and still is not finished but only some scratches and seamless must be fixed and will be finished.

flat1_2

0o4nkoi8l1u4.png

y7fiwdoy02wl.png

dhtp

sosxyvp3ltye.png

• Vermil wrote: »
    Write a material definition that overwrites the original flat with a new larger one?
    Hm, perhaps you are correct. My thinking was that you cannot alter the original texture definitions. Then again, I have no own experience on that sector. Also to note, Brutal Doom makes extensive use of GZDOOM's sripting system, perhaps that's where the magic is taking place.

• You are on the right track there. Just make sure that those cracks do not stand out so much.

lsOLEqi.png
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    deus-ex wrote: »
    You are on the right track there. Just make sure that those cracks do not stand out so much.

The cracks will have a reduced depth in the final. The problem makes me space between the stones. :/ When I have proper texture, colors are bad and when are colors correct texture is bad...

dv41v91swwik.png
  • I was about to comment that Deus_Ex did a great job on this texture on the previous page of this thread, but then I relalized that he did FLAT1_1, but you are talking about FLAT1_2.
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    @Empyre

I made neither of those textures, all credit must go to marcelus who is doing a great job (to quote a famous president :) ).
  • edited 2019 Feb 5
    @marcelus

I don't know whether this meets your artistic claims, but here's a comparison of your flat1_2 (old layer) with your flat1_2 (new layer):

91srLUR.jpg
    Looks quite good to me.

Here's your flat1_2 baked with your new space layer:

mPEklz3.jpg

EDIT:
    I just noticed that both textures actually don't tile properly. I don't know if you are aware, so I thought I better mention it. Then again, you clearly stated that it is work in progress.
  • Another great texture in the making. I think the stones may grow a tiny bit, have a bit more light, and the whole needs a tiny reduction of the colour red. But if this final I'm also very happy. If you ask me I would say on to the next one, because I much rather have 10x 98% perfect textures over 2 100%.
  • edited 2019 Feb 7
    kars wrote: »
    Another great texture in the making. I think the stones may grow a tiny bit, have a bit more light, and the whole needs a tiny reduction of the colour red. But if this final I'm also very happy. If you ask me I would say on to the next one, because I much rather have 10x 98% perfect textures over 2 100%.

Now is final. This was crazy texture. I'm still learning how to make textures.

EDIT:
    I just noticed that both textures actually don't tile properly. I don't know if you are aware, so I thought I better mention it. Then again, you clearly stated that it is work in progress.

Fixed... maybe :D

Flat1_2

t2zjk6pou869.png

iev1ahmsn76l.png

original

0mclwsft47f8.png

I have also 1024x1024 resolution my textures but when I use them in GZdoom I have micro lags(I have good PC) sometimes because this are "big" files (more than 2 MB) and I do not know how it reduced more without lose quality. I used max compression in gimp but still are big

• marcelus wrote: »
    Now is final.
    Pics please, or it didn't happen. ;)

• deus-ex wrote: »
    marcelus wrote: »
    Now is final.
    Pics please, or it didn't happen. ;)

Sorry I long edited. Pictures are now in older post.
    Yes, nice one! Put the 'Finished' stamp on it, and on to the next, I guess. :)
    I have also 1024x1024 resolution my textures but when I use them in GZdoom I have micro lags(I have good PC) sometimes because this are "big" files (more than 2 MB) and I do not know how it reduced more without lose quality. I used max compression in gimp but still are big
    I can help you with that, if you don't mind. I would suggest to pack those 1024x1024 images into one (or several) archives, depending on the total filesize. Use an archiver like RAR, 7-ZIP, ZIP or whatever you prefer, then upload the archive(s) to some file sharing host, for example:
    https://www.sendspace.com

Then provide me with the download link via PM, or post it publicly here in the forum, your choice.

Yes, nice one! Put the 'Finished' stamp on it, and on to the next, I guess. :)
    I can help you with that, if you don't mind. I would suggest to pack those 1024x1024 images into one (or several) archives, depending on the total filesize. Use an archiver like RAR, 7-ZIP, ZIP or whatever you prefer, then upload the archive(s) to some file sharing host, for example:
    https://www.sendspace.com

Then provide me with the download link via PM, or post it publicly here in the forum, your choice.

1024x1024 pack

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VnKfwXRPwFZk4znTPzb3kk6CW-ZqIVSz/view?usp=sharing
  • edited 2019 Feb 10
    hi all

This texture is in dhtp but is in low resolution and the color is very distant from the original texture. I do not know who did it and I do not want to offend anyone, but I did a new one.

floor4_1

fsr43651vrna.png

o8qiaiqvspuk.png

28lnhx71xoyo.png

7p7k6aulidhz.png

DHTP

wmj9pvux0rv1.png

Another great texture in the making. I think the stones may grow a tiny bit, have a bit more light, and the whole needs a tiny reduction of the colour red. But if this final I'm also very happy. If you ask me I would say on to the next one, because I much rather have 10x 98% perfect textures over 2 100%.

which texture would still need to be reworked? Some tek (tekwall...) textures are not overworked but I do not have the courage to do them :D

• edited 2019 Feb 11
    I do not know who did it and I do not want to offend anyone, but I did a new one.
    There's no need to be worried or afraid, instead feel encouraged to give any texture you like a try. Most of the current available hi-res textures in the DHTP pack are already many years old, often more than a decade. These days there are not many skilled texture artists around anymore creating new Classic Doom textures. I think we are lucky that you happen to be one of them and come visiting here.

floor4_1:
    The new floor4_1 texture is really great. Thank you.

which texture would still need to be reworked?
    You should continue with what ever you feel comfortable with, either redo an existing hi-res texture or pick one, for which no hi-res counterpart yet exists in the DHTP.

With practice comes skill, with more practice you hone your skills. Who knows, soon you will feel confident to try your skills on 'tekwall' or something similar. Most important is that you enjoy what you are working on.

1024x1024 textures:
    I created size optimized versions of your 1024x1024 textures, available both in 8-bit and 24-bit for comparison.

You can spot minor differences between the 8-bit and 24-bit images only on very close inspection, e.g. the light cone in BSTONE3 or the lights in GRNLITE1. When used in game you will not be able to notice that. The 8-bit textures are quite smaller in size, will load faster and occupy less graphics card memory. You decide which one you prefer. Of course you can mix 8-bit with 24-bit textures.

NOTE:
    Only images that include an alpha channel for transparency information require to be saved in 32-bit depth. Textures without alpha channel can safely be stored in 24-bit depth, which also helps to save some valuable space. 32/24-bit images can be converted to 8-bit without adding too much noise to the image, if done carefully and using the right tools.

marcelus_1024x1024_Textures_(deus-ex_edition): download
    I do not know who did it and I do not want to offend anyone, but I did a new one.
    There's no need to be worried or afraid, instead feel encouraged to give any texture you like a try. Most of the current available hi-res textures in the DHTP pack are already many years old, often more than a decade. These days there are not many skilled texture artists around anymore creating new Classic Doom textures. I think we are lucky that you happen to be one of them and come visiting here.

floor4_1:

which texture would still need to be reworked?
    You should continue with what ever you feel comfortable with, either redo an existing hi-res texture or pick one, for which no hi-res counterpart yet exists in the DHTP.

With practice comes skill, with more practice you hone your skills. Who knows, soon you will feel confident to try your skills on 'tekwall' or something similar. Most important is that you enjoy what you are working on.

1024x1024 textures:
    I created size optimized versions of your 1024x1024 textures, available both in 8-bit and 24-bit for comparison.

You can spot minor differences between the 8-bit and 24-bit images only on very close inspection, e.g. the light cone in BSTONE3 or the lights in GRNLITE1. When used in game you will not be able to notice that. The 8-bit textures are quite smaller in size, will load faster and occupy less graphics card memory. You decide which one you prefer. Of course you can mix 8-bit with 24-bit textures.

NOTE:
    Only images that include an alpha channel for transparency information require to be saved in 32-bit depth. Textures without alpha channel can safely be stored in 24-bit depth, which also helps to save some valuable space. 32/24-bit images can be converted to 8-bit without adding too much noise to the image, if done carefully and using the right tools.

thank you very much

Floor4_1 in game

maybe would be fine add some contrast. Colors and depth are close to original texture but do not match good with DHTP textures

5m7em3sd8654.jpg

floor4_1:

1024x1024 textures:

NOTE:

thank you very much

floor4_1 in game

maybe would be fine add some contrast. Colors and depth are close to original texture but do not match good with DHTP textures

3a9k4jcrhidg.jpg
    Then again, isn't that the fault of the old textures in the DHTP to begin with? I'd suggest to stay close to the originals, rather than trying to fit into a set of textures that doesn't match as good with those. Feel free though to experiment and perhaps present an alternative texture.

• I'm secretly working on the bloodfall textures.. very challenging stuff getting the animation to look good, like the original and 'natural'. Yes I know I still have to do a few tekwalls. I'll do that after the Bfall's.

- great work on the ceiling textures.
    In regard to what to do next, just seek out commonly used textures that are the most out of tune with the originals.
  • edited 2019 Feb 13
    I'm secretly working on the bloodfall textures.. very challenging stuff getting the animation to look good, like the original and 'natural'.
    Cool, I'm looking forward to that. Besides trying to make it look convincing, the hardest part is to make it properly tile to the left, right, top and bottom.

If you manage to pull this off, perhaps you can generate the Nukage-, Slime- and waterfalls from it by adjusting the color.
  • The colour adjustments for the other materials are the super easy parts ;)
  • edited 2019 Feb 15
    Then again, isn't that the fault of the old textures in the DHTP to begin with? I'd suggest to stay close to the originals, rather than trying to fit into a set of textures that doesn't match as good with those. Feel free though to experiment and perhaps present an alternative texture.

you are right

another floor texture

floor4_5

ctnvn3urm5az.png

e27tdzdu6qnp.png

DHTP

89slwvjbfzii.png

and again floor4_1 with a bit rough surface

3s2wecr5oebg.png

• A nice and accurate recreation of the original image, except the amount of oxidized (green) areas seems a little bit too much. Could you make an alternative with a slightly reduced oxidation level?

Original:
    4M8ZKtH.jpg
    marcelus:
    USHof1A.jpg

and again floor4_1 with a bit rough surface
    Yes, I like it, a subtle improvement of the texture.
  • edited 2019 Feb 16
    A nice and accurate recreation of the original image, except the amount of oxidized (green) areas seems a little bit too much. Could you make an alternative with a slightly reduced oxidation level?

what do you think now ?

before

r2kwk9o4shme.png

after

reduced green color, less visible scratches, darken around holes (closer to original but not 100% sorry :D)

69kt4bbel034.png

• Yep, you nailed it! Below a couple shots comparing both your initial floor4_5 and the updated version against the original texture.

yFBggK2.jpg
    UmQmb0b.jpg
    1t2b9CJ.jpg
    b49taDh.jpg
  • edited 2019 Feb 17
    Hi lads, I've been busy all day making a bfall texture.
    I got 2 flavours for you to choose from.
    Original:
    7h4yj3meiyoc.png

Normal size:
    6yzg2gt84a8b.png

Double size:
    ezsvpjnj7e8d.png

Resized (counting the 12 horizontal drops from the original):
    4r4eec44vlpr.png7h4yj3meiyoc.png
  • I like the last one best. However, none of the three samples tile properly at the top/bottom border.