DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• KuriKai wrote: »
    https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/tree/master/textures

look for the "###.placeholder" filenames

@kars I have also just uploaded the gstone2 texture into github

Thank you!

BTW I made also the ZZZ face textures, based of the photo of an art piece send to Romero. - Is this good enough?
    i2md4vq50l6n.png
    4idxrqe5jh0z.png
    wxyfzu79x47a.png
    701vxx79bxkr.png
    fra3voc7zbj9.png
    wx8mqvzmcgmb.png
    x2n7d81xzv9f.png
    zxy9inx9hkas.png
    nhwe3mashguw.png
  • what's it look like ingame?
  • Well I see it needs a bit more work..
    This is a downres of the new big 3072x1536 picture:
    7v043beatz7o.png
    And this is it in Doom2 / Zandronum3:
    ek85ahfy3s20.jpg

Apparently it needs some renaming and there is also a strange gab in between the left and middle column?

Also, now I think I want to redo the blood, but I'm not sure if I can find the version without the blood.
  • I also noted that the pipe / bamboo wood wall looks desaturated compared to the green slime fall and the blood floor.
  • edited 2018 Sep 21
    The gap you mentioned appears to be normal, it's also visible with DOOM2 default textures. I also checked with GZDOOM, it's the same appearance there.

DOOM2 - Original textures:
    oNlLFyQ.jpg

DOOM2 - HD textures by kars:
    lilTuKC.jpg

Regarding the renaming of the textures, check the screenshot below for reference:

o1YXN9d.jpg

Btw, a nice set of textures you created there.
  • yeah the pipes are making for sense than the mainboard rear site...
  • edited 2018 Sep 22
    that gap on the left would be the wall, and the horns would be inside the wall.
    Are you able to fix up the brain area so it's no so large/offset? also, you able to make the motherboard(circutry) areas more pipey?

maybe stick some big arse screws into his horns (to hold him in place) like the original?

you are well on the way to having it look really good!
  • edited 2018 Sep 22
    Thanks for all the great supportive responses!
    These days' I'm really busy with my dayjob, but I'll try to implement the suggestions.
    Why is there a gab in the original? is it just a bug? - I've discovered other small bugs in the past. And shall we correct for this bug? (by shifting the texture?)
  • kars wrote: »
    Why is there a gab in the original? is it just a bug?
    By closer inspection of my screenshots (see below) you can see, that the left borders of ZZFACE1, ZZFACE8 and ZZFACE9 are copied to their respective right borders. Probably it's either a glitch in the original texture coordinates that was never patched, or the game designers did it on purpose to compensate for a fitting issue. You should not try to correct this by shifting the texture.

Also note in the original texture how the horns are fastened by columns (or some demonic large screws), like KuriKai was pointing out.

pWmhW3x.jpg

I recommend to rework your textures accordingly to allow for a better visual representation of that copied areas.

mT7DE2z.jpg
  • that gap on the left would be the wall, and the horns would be inside the wall.
    Are you able to fix up the brain area so it's no so large/offset? also, you able to make the motherboard(circutry) areas more pipey?

maybe stick some big arse screws into his horns (to hold him in place) like the original?

you are well on the way to having it look really good!
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    We are not talking about a gap on the far left. It is about what appears to be a visual gap in kars texture right to the skull face on its left side. In my example screenshot I marked the area on the very left where data is copied from, and the area on the skull face left side where the copied data is applied to.

• edited 2018 Sep 22
    deus-ex wrote: »
    KuriKai wrote: »
    We are not talking about a gap on the far left. It is about what appears to be a visual gap in kars texture right to the skull face on its left side. In my example screenshot I marked the area on the very left where data is copied from, and the area on the skull face left side where the copied data is applied to.

Unfortunately, that is mapping error. The linedefs that make up the left side of the face are 264 units long instead of 256. Hence the texture begins to repeat.

I think the mapper accidently dragged linedef 10 (notice that the left side of the arena also isn't straight like the right side) slightly leftward and ended up stretching the lines that made up the left side of the face in the process.
  • Vermil wrote: »
    I think the mapper accidently dragged linedef 10 (notice that the left side of the arena also isn't straight like the right side) slightly leftward and ended up stretching the lines that made up the left side of the face in the process.

Yeah, like I wrote above it's probably either due to faulty texture offset data in the original game, or (rather unlikely) it was kind of a last minute hack job before game release to fix a texture misalignment.

I took my screenshots in DOOM2, MAP30 "Icon of sin", the author of this map is Sandy Petersen. It's strange though that this visual glitch never was corrected via an update patch.
  • edited 2018 Sep 23
    I've just emailed John Romero and asked him about this anomaly / error.
    Awaiting his reply.

This happens when I correct the sector width from 264 to 256:
    qan6dnl7azjf.jpg

As you can see it now looks good.
    I think it's a mapping error, and it look like the mapper dragged 4 vertecies 8 units to the left. Yes 4, because the upper left corner of the room also looks shifted 8 units, breaking the rooms perfect symmetry.
  • Well guys I got this reply from the man himself:
    Hi Kars,

Yes, that extra 8 pixels is a MISTAKE made on that level. If the textures were touching they would look correct.

Cheers,

John

So my suggestion is to find a way to make the texture look right with the current faulty geometry.
  • Probably the most obvious suggestion is to increase the width of the three left most textures ZZFace1, ZZFace8 and ZZFace9 from 256 to 264, and add new content on the left border of those textures.
  • edited 2018 Sep 25
    That would potentially break the appearance of the Final Boss in both Final Doom episodes and every mod that aligns the texture correctly?
  • Vermil wrote: »
    That would potentially break the appearance of the Final Boss in both Final Doom episodes and every mod that aligns the texture correctly?

Good point, I wasn't aware that Plutonia and TNT had this issue fixed. Well, simply have two texture sets then. One set with the width unaltered goes into the hires texture pack and will be used for all Doom WADS by default. A second texture set with the width changed to 264 can be made available as a additional addon that can be used to override the normal set if necessary.

Or create a separate addon containing just a definition or lump file that fixes the texture misalignment in DOOM2, which can be activated on demand.
  • the fixed could go in the doom2 folder, and the non fixed can go in the tnt and plutonia folders, or even just in the "textures" folder
  • edited 2018 Sep 26
    the fixed could go in the doom2 folder, and the non fixed can go in the tnt and plutonia folders, or even just in the "textures" folder
    No they can't. As Vermil mentioned this would potentially break every DOOM2 addon WAD that aligns the textures correctly. With a separate addon fix solution you have the freedom to use the fix as necessary, and to not use it as necessary, too.
  • I used the zdoom-hdtpXXXXXXXX.pk3 files to enhance the Brutal Doom since long ago.
    Sadly, I can not use them together since the release the bd21rc2.pk3.
    I know the BD is under development but I'd like to know you will be a compatible version with the BD again?
  • I have never used brutal doom. I need to rely on others to explain/show me the documentation on how to pack the textures into a zip so they will work with brutal doom.
  • GZDOOM - Hires textures for Doom

1. How to
    2. loading textures for specific games only

Folder structure for hires texture addons

Place any hires textures here that are to be used in all Doom games, i.e. Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom BFG, Doom2, Doom2 BFG, TNT, Plutonia, Nerve, Doom Freedoom:
    Filter\Doom\Hires\

Hires textures to be used in all Doom2 games, i.e. Doom2, Doom2 BFG, TNT, Plutonia, Nerve:
    Filter\Doom.Doom2\Hires\

Hires textures for Doom2 Plutonia only:
    Filter\Doom.Doom2.Plutonia\Hires\

Hires textures for DOOM2 TNT only:
    Filter\Doom.Doom2.TNT\Hires\

• I noticed new textures in the last 2 versions of the BD. Like these on the D1 E1M1 map.2l7giqxxdahg.png
    p8440fap1cjw.png
  • edited 2018 Nov 29
    Although I like the concept of having more items in the BD map enhancement system, I hate the new textures because their low resolution and quality stick out when I load BD up with DHTP. I wish BD offer a choice to load custom map textures. Maybe he should use DHTP and HIGH res versions of his own custom textures?
    //edit: spelling
  • @deus-ex So If i lay it out like that it will work on gzdoom and brutal doom? does that work for zdoom too?
  • I found only 1 animated texture error on the D1 E2M3 map with the older BD versions. I checked these textures in the zdoom-hdtp.pk3 files but there are everything is OK. The BD uses wrong textures for this object.
    f7c6ba1juwi4.jpg
    s8g2h4na3ygb.jpg
    vs4l98ps304a.jpg

I tried the Hoover1979 UltraHD texture pack, too for the new BDs but the BD does not work with this neither! This Hoover texture pack look really strange for me.
    I use the zdoom-hdtp with a bat file what contains this:
    gzdoom.exe -file bd21rc1fix.pk3 zdoom-dhtp-20180514.pk3
    this BD version was the last what was able to use your texture pack.
  • edited 2018 Nov 29
    @deus-ex So If i lay it out like that it will work on gzdoom and brutal doom? does that work for zdoom too?
    Did you check the two links I provided in my post above? The descriptions actually relate to ZDOOM, and GZDOOM is the successor of the now discontinued ZDOOM. There is no reason to worry about support for ZDOOM as GZDOOM includes a software renderer too, which is more current and has more capabilities, like true color support.

Brutal Doom (BD) is a special case as it makes extensive use of scripting. In addition it provides a level enhancement system which adds new details to the original Doom and Doom2 levels including TNT and Plutonia, utilizing additional flats, textures and sprites.

As far as I can tell from my own experience, BD appears to favor its internal images over external ones. One would probably have to replace the images in the BD package itself.
  • slx wrote: »
    I found only 1 animated texture error on the D1 E2M3 map with the older BD versions. I checked these textures in the zdoom-hdtp.pk3 files but there are everything is OK. The BD uses wrong textures for this object.
    I checked zdoom-dhtp-20180514.pk3 with the latest Blood Doom release BD21RC3 from November 2018. The correct texture for BLODGR1 is shown, but it does NOT run the animation for BLODGR1 - BLODGR4 (green blood pipes).

Animation for BLODRIP1 - BLODRIP4 (red blood pipes), as can be found in E3M4, is working though.
  • What is being displayed in slx's post is the TNT hi-res replacement for BLODGR.