DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• No, I create only 2 heads.
  • Would you be up to creating the 3rd one?
  • Reinchard's gargoyle and bigdoor should be added into the pack. I'm liking Mr Rocket's grating best though.
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    Pretty big waste of time making textures that would mis-match.
    The metal trim on my midgrate and his bigdoor6 wouldn't match, just like the faces wouldn't.

Actually I'm beginning to think this is a big waste of time anyway..
    You'd think it would have made a difference when I said I was working on bigdoor6 and midgrate, 4 pages ago, but instead the coordinator became an art director and 2 people ended up working on the same textures, and I doubt that I'll ever get a straight answer on what we should do about it.
  • Since Rein hasn't gotten any closer to having them done and put in Doom and your progress is lightning fast, maybe you should keep making them since it seems Rein is taking months? So long so that we didn't even know they were in the works.
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    One advantage of Doomsday's info/box system is that both Mr Rocket's and Reinchard's textures can be included in the DHTP and the individual user select which set they personally like via checkboxes in Snowberry.

See the JXRP (HeXen resource pack) for a similar example, which includes more than one version of several models.

Obviously, other ports don't have anything like the info/box system though.
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    But wouldn't that only work if there were separate packs made?
    Or would it work if a separate pack was made, containing just a few texture in a small pk3 inside the actual texture pack?
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    The info/box system allows multiple resources of the same type to be included in the same PK3. The user can then pick which one they want to load via checkboxes in Snowberry. If a user tries to load multiple resources of the same type, Snowberry will infor the user when they try to start Dday, asking them to pick one to unload.

Admittedly, the JXRP only uses it for models and I can't say I've ever seen an add-on use it for textures though.

The Doomsday version of the DHTP already includes shinemaps, that aren't present in the versions of the pack for other ports, due to other ports not supporting shinemaps.

Of course, while the info/box might handle Doomsday, it doesn't handle the versions of the DHTP for other ports.
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    I never heard of being able to switch between multiple hi res versions. Maybe Doomsday needs more engine work to allow that. Well, how would you be able to select between the ones you want to use? In a checkbox in snowberry? I can do that with models, at least.
  • @Vermil,
    So it would work if a separate pack was made, containing just a few textures in a small pk3 inside the actual texture pack?
  • Sorry, I don't look here too often, so I don't know someone work on textures thats I made year ago. And I even don't know if they are included in the official pack. I plan to do satyr head too, but I'm work on several projects and I don't have much time. Because I'm using 3d models for my textures, I need some time to finish them.
  • @Mr Rocket
    Basically yes, though as I mentioned above, nobody has ever released an add-on that used the info/box system with textures before.

It doesn't deal with other ports though as the system is Dday exclusive.
  • And I', pretty sure that I'm paste official/final version of my lion/garg switches, metal and grate textures.
  • @Reinchard,

That's okay man, I think we might be able to have the same textures if wanted and end-user can select which ones they would like to use.

@Vermil, I see, I'm guessing there would need to be an info or description txt of some sort in the internal pk3 inside the actual texture pack pk3, so the user can select which one they want?
  • Isn't snowberry on the evolutionary hit list?
  • For some reason I recall making such a file a rsp? or something for the old kickstart front end that would do the same?
    @Tea Monster, I suppose so hah.
  • edited 2014 Jun 23
    http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Addon_box

Probably best to look at something like the Doom or HeXen resource packs though.

Snowberry is indeed planned to be retired, though all it's functionality, including the info/box system is planned to be supported by the engine itself via Ring Zero, first (i.e Ring Zero will someday have a pwad loader and such).

Indeed, Kickstart did have similar functionality via ksa files. Though one improvement with the info/box system, is that the info files can be included inside the mods pk3.
  • Well that's good news!

You can't blame me as I must verify the info/box system.
    Is there some info on the wiki or somewhere I can get the setting I need to put in such description or ksa-like document? so I can test it out.

Edit:
    .box .addon with info metadata? ~ oh I see now your link above :)

Thanks
  • Hi,

From the looks of it, it would need to be setup something like this?
    addons--|
             --deng-dhtp.box--|
                               --deng-dhtp-20140616.pk3
                                 info
                                 readme
                                 |
                                  --extra--
                                           |
                                            --MrRockets_Doom_faces.pk3
                                                                      |
                                                                       info
                                                                       readme

The only thing I don't like about it is in snowberry you have to select the pulldown menu and show .box addons.
    I think this should be shown without a pulldown menu. ~ because truthfully, I wouldn't have never noticed it until I made a .box test run.

Thanks
  • Hi,

doom_lion_head.png

I finally finished the lion head for BIGDOOR6.
    And MIDGRATE has been updated with curvy alpha background. :)
    ~ note, you will only see the curviness (how it should be viewed) in-game, the midgrate texture holds transparency properties.

This zip contains not only BIGDOOR6 and MIDGRATE, there's also lightmaps and masks and shinemaps.ded specific for these textures. ~ there's also a small update to SPCDOOR4.
    Everyone should like how these textures turned out, especially BIGDOOR6. ~ make sure its shinymap is applied! ~ it should actually look as if it has a slight cubemap reflection. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/etc/rockets_stuff.zip

I figured I'd release them like this instead of posting all the NEW lightmaps, masks, etc, and let you guys decide whether they should go in its own .box or in the texture pack.

license: Free for non-commercial use - Do not modify

Cheers

ps, MIDGRATE actually has a shinymap as well, but for some reason it doesn't show up. ~ is it because it's a transparent solid texture? ~ I'm guessing that the shine decoration might be disabled in the engine for this type of texture or it may want to draw the effect over transparent areas, which would look strange.

Thanks
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    MIDGRATE actually has a shinymap as well, but for some reason it doesn't show up. ~ is it because it's a transparent solid texture?
    Indeed, when a material is drawn on a middle surface of a two-sided line, Doomsday does not presently use the shinemap. This is because the renderer is currently soft-limited to using a maximum of two texture units. Hopefully we'll address that in the not too distant future.
  • Alright, well that explains it. ~ it doesn't have to do with transparency at all then!
    Hmm.. when do you think a mid-texture might support shinymaps?

@KuriKai : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=875&start=490#p11781
    These textures are completed..

Thanks
  • but it doesn't look done. I don't see shiny details or that much detail. It needs much more detail to be more like this but a lion version: http://i.xomf.com/dgsfd.png Notice the grainy small details.
  • edited 2014 Jun 25
    Different art styles.

In past comments you have said, to use your terms, that you prefer 'realistic' over 'cartoony'.
  • In 2014, who wouldn't? Also it makes Doom feel more grown up, unlike the Wind Waker. Doom is supposed to be spooky, not cartoony. Besides, why aren't Reinchard's switch textures available? They are just posted here but not available for some reason. it is good to have less monopoly.
  • Gary, the lion head drawing looks a bit different on the door than the solo pic of it on the previous page.
    Also bigdoor6 has a pretty heavy shinymap on it, but you'll have to look at it in game to really know.

My drawing is going to look pretty close to the original, at least that's how I intended to make it, as close as possible at a hi-res scale.
    It's not just some random image or model that looks something like it. ~ that's the whole point of me drawing it. I could have just grabbed some picture of a lion, cropped it, turned it gray and applied a texture filter to give it a rustic look. ~ but then it wouldn't look like the original would it?
    Adding those little bits of detail and highlights is pretty easy to do, part of that detail is in the shinymap decoration.
    And besides, I haven't made or released any of the face switch textures yet to begin with. Not to mention, you'd be better off comparing the lion head to the original lion head not the goblin.
    Little fine details can always be slapped in there later if need be, but I suggest you view the texture in game first.

Warp to level 20 of Doom2, it will be the first door you see..
  • I will :)
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    It's not just some random image or model that looks something like it. ~ that's the whole point of me drawing it. I could have just grabbed some picture of a lion, cropped it, turned it gray and applied a texture filter to give it a rustic look. ~ but then it wouldn't look like the original would it?
    I would like to point out that my lion and gargoyle and all my other textures are made by me from the scratch and I don't use any pictures from google. All textures are first very carefully modeled on low-res original textures and then I have some very long work with it in 2d program, to do it exactly like his lowres counterpart. So I spent days or even moths to do it properly. Lion head are modeled in 3d program based on original texture.
    I don't know why so many of my textures are not in the pack. The biggest question is my Tekwalls series, like that tekwall4:
    http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1858/t ... acolor.jpg

tekwall1 and 3:
    http://i.imgur.com/vQVxMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CKUh8l.jpg
  • Yeah, those need to go in the pack.
  • agreed, they look great! especially tekwall4 :)