DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• I don't know if I paste here final version of my switches, so:
    sw1lion: http://i.xomf.com/dnsbp.png
    sw2lion: http://i.xomf.com/ccmqd.png
    sw1garg: http://i.xomf.com/dgsfd.png
    sw2garg: http://i.xomf.com/qhrpw.png
  • Those look nice Reinchard, and I agree they should go in the pack!
    Your work so far is waaay better than what is currently in the pack.

However, what about the 3rd face switch?
    WALL42_1.bmp

Btw, not to be misunderstood.. I wasn't saying that you did any sort of google image thing or whatever, the comment was directed to Gary who seemed to think that hi-res detail of any sort is more important than it looking like the original.

My comment was that original recreation should come first and is more important. ~ details can come later. ~ either in the texture its self or through decoration script and layer. Which is actually what we both do.
    :)

I think your switches look nice enough, I won't have to make them!
    The lion head drawing I did was for Bigdoor6..which can be released as a stand alone texture if need be. ;)
    I started on Bigdoor6 and Midgrate before I found out that you had already done them, unfortunately.. I was just making the textures that weren't in the current pack.
    But end-user "should" at least get the option to use either one.

Cheers
  • Reinchard wrote:
    Mr.Rocket wrote:
    It's not just some random image or model that looks something like it. ~ that's the whole point of me drawing it. I could have just grabbed some picture of a lion, cropped it, turned it gray and applied a texture filter to give it a rustic look. ~ but then it wouldn't look like the original would it?
    I would like to point out that my lion and gargoyle and all my other textures are made by me from the scratch and I don't use any pictures from google. All textures are first very carefully modeled on low-res original textures and then I have some very long work with it in 2d program, to do it exactly like his lowres counterpart. So I spent days or even moths to do it properly. Lion head are modeled in 3d program based on original texture.
    I don't know why so many of my textures are not in the pack. The biggest question is my Tekwalls series, like that tekwall4:
    http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1858/t ... acolor.jpg

tekwall1 and 3:
    http://i.imgur.com/vQVxMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CKUh8l.jpg
    do these have the proper names so they will show up? If not, I don't know what to rename them. I'm using your lionhead door 6 and midgrate but they too had to be renamed. I'm using the lionhead because in my setup it seems to look more 3d. I do wish you had made a shine map for door6 though. and also the door without the lionhead. I forget the name. I was wondering if maybe a small amount of bump mapping might give these a more rustic and 3d look? This is one reason that I don't much care for the "do not touch" permissions. I have found that a little bumpmapping can go a long way in giving a 3d look, of coarse when you guys get to use those other masks, I forget what they are called but are usually blue and give a 3d look, then all will be well in the universe.
  • umm yes they do if you look at the heading there under you will see the name for instance the fist image in the list of 3 is tekwall4 and i think you get the idea.
  • @PostFatal and Gordon,

For the textures I just recently did:
    Just because I didn't post a pic, didn't mean there wasn't something to download. :)
    These would be the ones you're after: http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/etc/rockets_stuff.zip
    They do indeed have shinemaps. :)

texture_info_101.png

~ BIGDOOR6 and SPCDOOR4 have shinemaps and their mask and lightmaps and scripts will also need to be in the pack before they will show up as well.

~ MIDGRATE also has a shinemap, but being a mid-texture, that shinemap will currently not show up, as Danij said, but at some time in the near future mid-textures will allow shinymap decoration. ~ when mid-textures finally have support, then this midgrate texture will show up with a purple tent to it, which will mean I need to update when that time comes.
    All this stuff is contained in the .zip archive above.

Just remember these (are not) to overwrite anything, these are for the pack maintainer..
    The scripts in the shinemaps.ded will need copy and pasted in, as well as each texture, masks, and lightmaps one at a time. ~ these are totally new masks and lightmap texture layers btw, aside from the primary diffuse textures of course.
    They are actually for a .box addon at some point.

I wouldn't want you to have to download the texture pack again to fix it if you made a mistake putting them in the pk3 heh.

Cheers

ps: PostFatal said "then all will be well in the universe." ~ Yes you're talking about bumpmaps, Normalmaps to be more specific as well as heightmaps, all of which mean, and or do pretty much the same thing. I agree it would be nice to have normalmaps at some point.

Pss, Danij if you're listening? This talk about lightmaps and masks, to me the effect seems to work more so like an environment map, but that's just imo. :)
  • I misunderstand you Mr. Rocket in your previous post. I try do 3rd switch in near future. For now, all my textures all free for edit if someone wants.
  • I'm sorry Mr. Rocket if you misunderstood. I was asking Reinchard if he had a shine map and mask for his door6, something about his lion head just seems to look less flat so I'm using it. I also want to use his techwalls but am not sure what the names are ingame or can they be used as named?
  • @PostFatal

Ah, I see. bigdoor6 should just be called bigdoor6. :)
    Also as Gordon said, and in your previous post quoting Reinchard, tekwall4, 3, and 1.
    If you have doombuilder installed, it's really quick to find the actual texture name that will be used instead of the textures patch name.

Cheers
  • Odd that the ringleader Kurikai hasn't popped in to say if he was going to include Rein's textures or not. While we are at it, pop in Mr Rocket's Bigdoor6 and midgrate soon. :) At least some of these textures are ready, me thinks.
  • Well, there is a conflict here. Mr. Rocket's stuff and Reinchard's can't be in the same pack unless there is a way to select which you want. That is kind of what I was trying to say earlier. I like the cleaness and sharpness of Mr. Rocket's lion head but it looks flatter than Reinchard's lion head. maybe it is just my vid card. It's not any reflection on anyones work. I'm afraid that this is getting complicated with so much great work going on with some of it being the same textures. And, like I've said in other places, VR is going to make a difference in how textures show up. It may be that new ways of doing things like shadows and shine maps is required to achieve a 3d look.
  • Man PostFatal listen, both mine and his textures are indeed the same (name) is why I released mine as a separate pack, zip, or addon.box and it's actually up to the maintainer to put them in a separate pack.
    However in your case, as you see fit to decide which you want, you now have an eye on the locations in which these packs you would decide in which to use. otherwise you would have a check box after release and then it would be your choice which one(s) to load.

The problem occurred during creation of these textures and the maintainer not telling us which are ready to go in the pack and which aren't as well as what we should do about it. On your side of the globe however, it's totally up to you on which ones you decide to use. :) I don't want to put anyone to blame here, the maintainer probably just wasn't ready for anyone to start making textures out of the blue, and that's probably what happened. :) ~ it's not that big of a deal, but now we have 2 versions..

We just make texture resource here. The names are correct (to us even if they have some bs extension) :), we don't have any control over where or how they are used, but we know and you know that we made them.
    That's basically it. :)

Indeed, it is why I released the textures I made in a zip to be used as an addon box at some point.
    You will just have to make your own decision which to use. :)

I agree that a 3d model will always have a better 3d look, even though you can tell from my oldie drafts that I was trying to make the drawing look like the original, the original didn't look "3d" to me, but I still tried to give it some depth.
    To me, both versions would work, both versions are good in that aspect, but both versions can't be used at the same time. ~ unless we both work together on them. :)
    ~ I wouldn't want to modify someone else's work, but I would be into adding shinymaps as an effect for other textures, if wanted.
    Effects and ui art is actually one of my strongest points anyway.

Cheers and Good Luck.
  • Hi,

Here's TANROCK8:

tanrock8.png

I didn't do a hi-res version of this one per say, it's still 512x256 32bit.
    Same permissions, free to use, do not modify..

Thanks
  • well, after a few day hiatus on this thread, it is good to see you didn't forget about it. also, what about the other textures posted on this forum? They are being made but just sitting around and not usable in game. hopefully they go into a pack and they aren't made for nothing. I wonder what the plan for that is.
  • gary wrote:
    well, after a few day hiatus on this thread, it is good to see you didn't forget about it. also, what about the other textures posted on this forum? They are being made but just sitting around and not usable in game. hopefully they go into a pack and they aren't made for nothing. I wonder what the plan for that is.
    Hey,

It's not that big of a deal, both mine and Reinchard's MIDGRATE and BIGDOOR6 are of course the same name textures, yet totally different pieces of work. Either can be used, it's just up to who ever wants to use them.

Every texture I'v made so far, I'v tested in game.
    So I know how they look in game, and for a fact of course can be used, in game.

As far as I can tell, for it to be easy for end-user to quickly check out any textures they want, (in this case same name textures) any "same name" textures should be put in a .box addon. This way not only the textures that are loaded in the texture pack, the user has the option to load any additional textures.

Let's say Reinchards MIDGRATE and BIGDOOR6 has already been put in the pack.. But say end-user wants to use my MIDGRATE and Reinchards BIGDOOR6, for this to be done and have the option to (enable or disable) my MIDGRATE and BIGDOOR6 separately, both of these textures (my versions) will need to be in separate .box addons. So one or the other or both will have a separate check box via .box addon. ~ this would then allow end-user to use my MIDGRATE and Reinchards BIGDOOR6, or vice versa..

As far as I can tell though, the whole pack will need to be restructured as a .box in order to have additional .box addons internally.. ~ the texture pack will show up in snowberry as it normally would, but there will be some (extra) check boxes in .box addons with support for these options.
    I'v done this my self so I know it works, and like you, wondering why the maintainer has disappeared.

Cheers
  • and like you, wondering why the maintainer has disappeared.
    Sorry, bit busy these days; Moved contry, got new job, and don't have fixed place of abode. once I do, I will continue
  • edited 2014 Jul 3
    KuriKai wrote:
    and like you, wondering why the maintainer has disappeared.
    Sorry, bit busy these days; Moved contry, got new job, and don't have fixed place of abode. once I do, I will continue
    Hey! not to worry, all is fine. Good to hear.. :) ~ but yes we were beginning to wonder!
    However, (in the meantime) Reinchard and I have ended up making the same textures with of course (same texture names), only 2 texture afaik.
    These will need, dot boxed as some users want to use I guess both versions?

NTL, Will give you time to settle in and see what's been going on.. :)

=======================================================================

~ While you were away, not much has changed:
    I just released TANROCK8, I think Reinchard may be working on the 3rd face SWITCH!?
    But here's current:

Reinchard:

bigdoor6
    tekwall 1, 3, and 4? ~ please correct if need be!
    midgrate

Lion switch
    Goblin switch

Misery sw!t..?

Mr.Rocket:

bigdoor6 with shinymap
    midgrate with new wavy alpha ;)
    tanwall8

~ Will release these in a small pack if it would be better?
    My permissions, free to use, do not modify..

========================================================================

And because a couple of these being the same name, separate (same name) textures MIDGRATE, BIGDOOR6, will need to be .box addons.. ~ so end-user will have that optional selection. ~ (previous post for more info.. !) ~ I can always post pics of the file/folder structure if needed..

Thanks, Cheers
  • KuriKai wrote:
    It is why I keep thinking about how we should use tech and automation to free people and distribute the wealth. I'm thinking in my natural lifetime in the 1st world, much more free time and a basic income slapped onto shorter mandatory workweeks for everyone will happen. With the pace of tech progression in the 1st world, something will have to give soon. Then that pesky RL can be reduced in interference and people can concentrate on creative value such as this.

Hopefully this project will be around by then.

Oh, and I notice that a weekly post has not been added to the Developer's section since June 3rd. Maybe because the project is in a period of bug fixing and not coding addition.
  • Man, you read into soo much stuff! :P
    I presume, but not assume that such actions, most times, could be.. oh what do you call it?.. over assuming a typical assumption?

Only time will tell, nvl, I figure that we are just creating textures, in our creative and decisive wit; with this in mind, never takes long..
    I'd imagine the developers have many, many.. things, in mind.. that could take much longer.

That said, practice makes perfect, development takes time..

Only real issue is that assumption is a possible guess..as far as we know. :D
  • Well, keep up the good work, and I will gladly download them and included them if they work on my end. But I guess Kurikai has to set them up in a way that I can use them.
  • Gary, you can "set them up" and you know it.. O:-)
  • Yeah, if I can figure it out, and I can barely get my head around a ded file, then gary should have no problem.
  • edited 2014 Jul 3
    Ok, well maybe this will help :D
    This of course assuming that you know the pk3 file structure in DE.

\Doomsday Frontend\addons                       
                             |
    \Doomsday Frontend\addons\deng-dhtp-20140616.box
                                                    |
    \Doomsday Frontend\addons\deng-dhtp-20140616.box\extra
                                                          |
    \Doomsday Frontend\addons\deng-dhtp-20140616.box\extra\mrrocket_textures_2014_v2.pk3

[mrrocket_textures_2014_v2.pk3]
                      |   
                      |     info 
                      |     shinemaps.ded
                      |-----|textures|--
                      |                bigdoor6.png
                      |                midgrate.png
                      |                spcdoor4.png
                      |                tanrock8.png
                      |                
                      |               
                      |----|lightmaps|--
                           |           blend.png
                           |           shine1.png
                           |           shine2.png
                           |masks|--
                                   bigdoor6_shiny.png
                                   midgrate_shiny.png
                                   spcdoor4_light.png
                                   tanrock8_shiny.png

deng-dhtp-20140616.box would contain all of the current dhtp texture pack.
    It's contents would be just like it would in a pk3, just as a folder instead; folder.box or deng-dhtp-xxxxxxxx.box.
    Inside this folder would contain a .pk3, mrrocket_textures_2014_v2.pk3 in this case.

As far as I can tell this is how .box addons work, but I'm no expert. :)

----

After this is setup. In the Snowberry launcher there is a pull-down menu in the addons dialog/tab. Select the addon tab, goto the pull-down menu, select (show all - also box contents)

~ Snowberry should show something like this:

X deng-dhtp-xxxxxxxx.box
    |
    X mrrocket_textures_2014_v2.pk3

Press Play:

=================================================================

Now this is how it might be done if there were a such thing as "selective textures" :D
    MIDGRATE and BIGDOOR in this case.

Create a new pk3, put each textures exclusively in a new |textures| directory, a new info file+scripts+lightshaders etc.. and make 2 pk3's one for midgrate and one fore bigdoor6. pretty much just like the other pk3.. and slap these new pk3's into the .box folder instead of the other pk3.

call them: mr_bigdoor6.pk3 and mr_midgrate.pk3

~ Snowberry should show something like this:

X deng-dhtp-xxxxxxxx.box
    |
    X mr_bigdoor6.pk3
    |
    X mr_midgrate.pk3

Remember, use at your own risk, I didn't tell you to delete anything! :D
    Make a backup of your current texture pack first!

note* the above suggests that all other textures are in the pack, other than mr_bigfoor6 and mr_midgrate.

I know this all sounds complicated but it's actually fairly simple.

Cheers
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    KuriKai wrote:
    Hey! not to worry, all is fine. Good to hear.. :) ~ but yes we were beginning to wonder!
    However, (in the meantime) Reinchard and I have ended up making the same textures with of course (same texture names), only 2 texture afaik.
    These will need, dot boxed as some users want to use I guess both versions?

NTL, Will give you time to settle in and see what's been going on.. :)

=======================================================================

~ While you were away, not much has changed:
    I just released TANROCK8, I think Reinchard may be working on the 3rd face SWITCH!?
    But here's current:

Reinchard:

bigdoor6
    tekwall 1, 3, and 4? ~ please correct if need be!
    midgrate

Lion switch
    Goblin switch

Misery sw!t..?

Mr.Rocket:

bigdoor6 with shinymap
    midgrate with new wavy alpha ;)
    tanwall8

~ Will release these in a small pack if it would be better?
    My permissions, free to use, do not modify..

========================================================================

And because a couple of these being the same name, separate (same name) textures MIDGRATE, BIGDOOR6, will need to be .box addons.. ~ so end-user will have that optional selection. ~ (previous post for more info.. !) ~ I can always post pics of the file/folder structure if needed..

Thanks, Cheers
    I'm working on 3rd switch texture and on compute1.
  • Reinchard wrote:
    I'm working on 3rd switch texture and on compute1.
    Awesome!

Tea Monster, are you still working on those Startans?
  • May I suggest a list of the textures not in the DHTP be added to the first post? I know that Kuri Kai posted such a list in this thread several pages ago, but it will/has get lost there.

Also, perhaps that list could be updated as people claim textures to make? Complete with a date of claiming?
  • Still working. I have many projects on the go at the same time, so I can't promise a time.
  • Doing one at a time seems more logical. If you do them all at the same time, can you get anything done?
  • In case you did not know, I made ​​the most of star* texture series, like:
    stargr1: http://imgur.com/tREcK6J
    starg3: http://imgur.com/mQF0p37
    starg1: http://imgur.com/6CeKOUx
    startan3: http://imgur.com/iBIv9F0
    startan1: http://imgur.com/WrAAdYv
    startan2: http://imgur.com/MvvvYJU
    stargr2: http://imgur.com/7YmpZf7

some version with switch: http://imgur.com/SJ6NS2L
    ingame screenshot:
    A3YpVy0.jpg

and comparison with original:
    jalcgzX.png
  • Vermil wrote:
    May I suggest a list of the textures not in the DHTP be added to the first post? I know that Kuri Kai posted such a list in this thread several pages ago, but it will/has get lost there.

Also, perhaps that list could be updated as people claim textures to make? Complete with a date of claiming?
    Updated the first post to be more readable about how to find out what needs doing still. (checking the github page for the ###.placeholder files)

Don't know how to have a list that can be updated as people claim to make textures. but, if they sign up for a git account they can create their own branch of the dhtp and then i can merge the textures.

@reinchard, do you have the other switch texture? if so i will put that switch into the pack