DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• I liked those nice 3D model heads the best. Darn, the realism that would occur once this made it in game. I really hope the team plans for this one day.
  • Can't you already add decoration models? I thought that was in one of the 1.9 betas that it was added, what with the materials stuff and all...
  • Not presently no. The model decoration stuff in the old 1.9.x betas I threw together basically to give modders (i.e., kurikai) a means to begin developing the necessary resources. It was extremely alpha quality and was subsequently removed later when it became a hindrance.

A proper model decoration feature is planned for, at some point.
  • Another version, this time more metal. I searched a lot of sites from gargoyles and mascarons but never came across this lion. I am sure that these textures are made ​​from a photograph, as in 1996, Bethesda had their own versions of the texture with many other mascarons. Maybe they are a pictures from some book or something related with D&D?

http://i.xomf.com/llmzv.png
  • When I look at it I can't help but think Door Knocker. https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... WiajMJt8so
    It is very nice though.
  • No. I try that. Original must be some kind of stone relief.
  • I agree that the all-metal version looks better, but I also agree that the original must have been all stone. Mixing the two doesn't look right, but it looks like you've improved the model to look more like the original.
    There is something odd about the outer edge of the eyes: that thin line.
  • New one, but there is still something wrong:
    fvnqy.png
  • too shiny?
    the eyes should be inset more?
    have a crease where the forehead meets the hair?

How do you invision the eyes and mouth being lit up?
  • I think it looks just fine, though if you look at it from the side and it looks flat, it will be odd. But it is only a texture, not an object.
  • That look awesome!
    I can't tell by looking at it whether it will tile seamlessly, but it does need to, both vertically and horizontally.
  • just wondering, how would it look carved from the same stone? Hope you understand that.
  • Maybe one day tile maps will go bye bye.
  • PostFatal - a few posts above you have stone version.
    Gary - You're a dreamer :)
  • LOL, just imagine D1 tech with fully dynamic lighting, GLSL shaders and megatexture technology. It would Kick idtech 5 to the curb.
  • Reinchard wrote:
    PostFatal - a few posts above you have stone version.
    Gary - You're a dreamer :)
    I've seen the stone lion, what I am saying is, what if it was carved from the stone that it is attached to? Stone is stone except when it is carved from the very stone that it is on!. I've followed this from the beginning, I haven't missed a post. Think of the wall being formed and the lion carved as part of it, Not an addition, but part of it!
  • So, what's your point? Do you think I'll do another model just so you could see what would happen if? Let's focus on original Doom high resolution textures. Just doing this one model took me almost two weeks. Don't think I'll do another version because you want to see "how would it look carved from the same stone"...
  • looks good, maybe lighten up the shadows a bit more (more ambient light)
  • The lion looks sharper; this is blurrier. Also less detail, but I know it is the first version.
  • yeah i agree it looks a lil blurry-ish, the face.

but it looks good, lot closer to orignal and a lot nicer looking then the weird and ugly one which is currently in the dhtp
  • Thanks for suggestions. I have another one:
    Here next to original:
    nyxcg.png

And here's both lion and gargoyle switches:

sw1garg
    http://i.xomf.com/dgsfd.png

sw2garg
    http://i.xomf.com/fnmls.png

sw1lion:
    http://i.xomf.com/dnsbp.png

sw2lion
    http://i.xomf.com/ccmqd.png
  • great work! the lights on sw2lion look much more awesome then on your last version :D

and both faces look really good <3
  • Bear in mind that with Doomsday such lights would be better implemented using light decorations rather than baking the glow and/or halo into the texture itself. I don't know if you plan to release separate packs for different ports but this would be preferable in Doomsday's case.
  • That light decorations would look strange on flat textures without normal/bump maps. In my version you can see light that realistically reflected on the surface.
  • The point being that the baked lights in the texture are dependent on sector lighting. If the sector is dark then the surface will be dark yet the texture will suggest otherwise. Placing light decorations on them allows the lights to work independently of sector lighting, meaning a better overall look under more varied lighting conditions.
  • We need to find ways to also make these buttons in 3D and place them in Doomsday and/or normal map them. I'm pretty sure that eventually this will be achieved but I don't know if any work has started with implementing the support.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    The point being that the baked lights in the texture are dependent on sector lighting. If the sector is dark then the surface will be dark yet the texture will suggest otherwise. Placing light decorations on them allows the lights to work independently of sector lighting, meaning a better overall look under more varied lighting conditions.
    I understand, but I don't know much about the Doomsday engine, and today I focus on making textures. Maybe someone else can play with this lights.
    BTW, I have a request to the English-speaking forum members. If any of you recognize where these photos could have come let me know. You can also ask in the art forums. I asked the on Polish forums, but no one knew the answer. And of course I searched around a lot of sites about gargoyles, lion heads, green-mans, satyrs, fauns etc etc...

crkns.png
  • What exactly are you asking us to do? You mean you want to know where the 8 monster pictures in the screenshot above came from? Also, why does that require an English speaker to do that? BTW, I think you speak darn good English ;) It isn't easy to learn another language, especially as an adult since our brains have less plasticity. I await a day when we can download a language directly to our brains and learn a language in a matter of seconds Matrix style.