DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• I'd suggest spending a little time painting in some contrast manually to improve the lighting. As it stands it looks too flat and uneventful. For example, there could be slight visible gaps between some of the bricks.
  • That could be a double-edged sword, though. Players would see that spot of detail repeated regularly on the floor, which could bring them out of immersion.
  • Not at all, if it's done well.
  • For a week I'm working on very hard texture. When I started I thought it would be easy. Unfortunately, all my versions look terrible. It would be easy to make a texture that looks good, but the after reduction hires version to the size of original, my work looked completely different. So after week of work I have this:

ceil3_2:
    DTRhpc4.png

SY4qdP8.png
  • Looks better than the current one
  • totally agree. looks great, ceiling3_2 :)

could you also make a version for ceiling3_1? which is the same texture but with slightly different colors
  • When a new version is released, is this thread where you would announce it?
  • What do you guys think about that interpretation of gate3 texture?

DUkK7xZ.png

wwlIjqx.png
  • Looks pretty good to me!
  • Is it a normal map? Is it any different than what we already have?
  • It looks good however I think the lines are a little too "definite/prominent" when compared side-by-side with the original. In the original texture one can see the edges of the star aren't straight and look as though they were made by some thing being dragged through the surface (me imagines pulling my thumb through sand/soft clay).

Actually, prompted by Urban Space Cowboy I decided to take a closer look at the original and it is now pretty clear to me that this is a resized and recolored version of patch W103_2. Look closely at the surface details and this is quite obvious. Therefore, the original at least is intended to look like branded skin.

@gary: No its not a normal map, its a high resolution texture.
  • Is there something preventing people from making normal-mapped hi-res textures? Is the engine still not capable of that?
  • the renderer can't support that yet
  • @gary: The plan is to replace the renderer entirely rather than try to bolster it with modern features/functionality. The existing "1.0" map renderer was originally designed nearly fifteen years ago and consequently is based on seriously outdated paradigms/technologies. Although it "works", there is little point in developing it any further.
  • It would be a good idea if people making textures, especially those making textures with models, were to start producing normal and spec maps now, in readiness for when the renderer IS capable of such things. That way, people are not going to have to back track over a large catalogue of textures to bake off a shed load of normal maps.

DaniJ - you might want to make public some details of what sort of textures the new renderer will require. This is that texture and model artists can start now to get stuff ready. Questions such as:
    1. Will you support normal maps?
    2. Will you support parallax mapping?
    3. Will you support spec and/or gloss maps?
    4. Any UV mapping/modelling limitations such as mirrored UVs, model formats etc.

Just an idea.
  • Here is another but not final version. I just want to know if it is going in the right direction.

B6eNMCe.png

Few things like metal border and circle is still not finished.

Z5x5TOw.png
  • Those sharp, black shadows look a bit out of place, but I guess that's alright and stuff.

Looks gud.
  • edited 2013 May 2
    ***removed due progress***
  • @Reinchard: I feel that the shape is supposed to be created with a (huge) branding iron. Just like they use branding irons to burn the owners mark into cows skin. So you might need to straigten the lines up a little. you don't need to make it obvious that the lines aren't straight, just make it subtle/imperfect straight lines. It's looking good though :)

@BuddhaMaster: Unfurtunatly your touchedup version is not showing for me.
    Also you seem to have mixed up the skys, the first one is for doom ep 2 and the last image is for doom2 (third sky)
  • Firstly, as Kuri mentioned, your low-res image is Doom2's SKY3, not Doom1's SKY2. But ignoring that...

Personally, I like that the original hi-res version casts a glow on the mountains; makes the mountains look less flat and like they aren't just pasted over the top of a sky texture.

Maybe a bit cheeky, but having a glow on the mountains also fits in better with Doomsday's Sky Glow feature; it adds a little bit of cohesion that the sky texture features the sky casting a glow, as Dday's Sky Glow feature does in the game world.

While the original Doom1 SKY2 is indeed red and not orange, your reds are far too muted IMO.
  • I'm sorry to counter your arguments about the sky.
    But the original sky with the snowy mountain-tops in front of the blood-red sky creates a totally unreal look which is totally part of how it should look like. I think the original look (even if outerworldly or "unrealistic") must be maintained at all cost.

If the images don't show up, try refreshing the page.

About the "glowing sky" feature, I've never seen that in action myself?
    Is it supposed to look like a glowing bloom/HDR effect cast by the sky?
    Could someone upload the original SKY3 I can't find it in the original textures.
  • edited 2013 May 6
    Here's my attempt at Sky from episode 2 (maybe it's not SKY2, but I swear to god its the Cyberdemon fight)

bQA5Otel.png

and with a glow...
    XAIA0Cvl.png

*sky has been updated, see bottom Page 24
  • Nice! I always wondered what exactly mountains are a base for original RSKY3 texture (I mean, what images were used to do the original texture). Are these the same mountains as in SKY2 from Doom1?
  • edited 2013 May 6
    No way would I know the orginal photo.
    I've 'stolen' from this photo (it's free).
    http://desktop.freewallpaper4.me/download/4179/mountain-skyline
    I've just realized the shadows in the original skybox are not cast in a consistent direction.
    Maybe this is to counteract the repetition?

Here is a little touch up of Episode 3 sky.
    MgeAr5Yl.png

I removed that overall faint shade of blue, removed the photo like quality to get closer to the original Doom look with it's bold black lines and finally returned some violet to the sky where it might fit, even if initially being all against it. Violet can feel outer worldly and unsettling.

*sky has been updated, see bottom Page 24
  • Their's an issue with tiling in-game with the clouds on both of the skies. And the violet on the SKY3 looks a bit odd IMO. But the skies are an improvement overall.
  • Indeed, the improvements to SKY3 look cool.

Still not personally 100% sold on SKY2 though. But I'd go with yours on account of it being more faithful. On the glowing variant though, I think some of the mountains in the foreground might look better with a glow as well.
  • I could not detect any tiling problems in episode 3 sky, other than a microscopic line.
    Here ya go
    Bot skies are made seamless and the purple removed.

SKY2 http://imgur.com/bsHzsyx
    SKY3 http://imgur.com/NB8Gpsk
  • edited 2013 May 4
    That helps a lot. Thank you very much. Although you should include the version of SKY2 with the glow.

Also on the note of skies. I've touched up the Hi-Res version of SKY4 to give it a more orange hue like the original. It looks quite nice in-game.
    http://i.imgur.com/GYkPg7g.png

Although I did do a Google search and I found this picture that looks very similar to the original.
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3383/4576911790_21abb9a98f_o.png

Now if only someone can do something about Doom II's odd SKY1 replacement.