DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• PostFatal wrote:
    Carmack should have said that about his doom engine. free to use but don't alter it. Oh, that wouldn't work, we wouldn't have Doomsday engine.
    Well maybe one day I'll release the source code then everyone could edit it.. ~ only as long as the source is released with it! and I'm credited.. :)

By then though I could make millions off the textures that I don't want anyone to edit! hah

Cheers
  • like I said, watermarks is the answer.
  • Haha! I like that! :)
    Was just think'n of Snoopy Icons.. 10 bucks a pop!

Anyways, I doubt anyone wants to see their texture look different the next time they see it.
    Of course unless stated otherwise.

:)
  • Just suggesting that we put a non-commercial clause as an idea, as it's the engine that's been open sourced, not the game content. If you guys are good, then that's fine.

These are some really nice textures. Looking forward to the new pack!
  • The licences of the current pack "free to use(means use and edit which i will clear up in the readme files)" were chosen as there is no real point to stop people editing or using the textures(we can't police the internet). We are also recreating copyrighted textures, no idea what zenimax's stance on it is. I'm sure the old johns from id software new about this texture pack and didn't ask us to stop doing it. Also there is no point to limit the texture pack to doomsday only as other doom engines have the capability. If someone want's to make a mod for another game that remakes a few doom maps and they want to use the textures, that should be fine also(my opinion).

The main reason we chose our work as "free to use" so that people can modify it and fix any problems that they notice and add it back into the pack(This can help new people get into creating textures). For example in the next release there will be some zzwolf textures that i made the red bricks colour match the originals more.

This pack is all about the community’s wish to have a great looking high resolution texture pack that has the same feeling as the original.
  • Well said, KuriKai. My only concern with what was being proposed was that each and every texture would have to have it's own credit/permissions file and people would have a hell of a time trying to figure out what they could mod and what they couldn't. I play mostly with Hexen and in many places I have darkened or lightened or bumpmapped or in some cases colorized some textures to achieve the look that I prefer.
    In other cases I've swapped out the texture intirely.
    Of all the Doomsday games, Doom has remained the most true to the originals and Hexen is the least true, but part of the fun is making the game what you want it to be. I suspect that when the Oculus Rift comes out, everyone will want to start all over with textures and models so as to make them more believable. The OR will show just how flat and unbelievable these games are in their present state.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    Well said, KuriKai. My only concern with what was being proposed was that each and every texture would have to have it's own credit/permissions file and people would have a hell of a time trying to figure out what they could mod and what they couldn't.
    checkout the readme files in the dhtp ;)
  • KuriKai wrote:
    PostFatal wrote:
    Well said, KuriKai. My only concern with what was being proposed was that each and every texture would have to have it's own credit/permissions file and people would have a hell of a time trying to figure out what they could mod and what they couldn't.
    checkout the readme files in the dhtp ;)
    I have. Can't wait for the new cataloging/cross referencing plugin that makes sense of it all.
  • KuriKai wrote:
    The licences of the current pack "free to use(means use and edit which i will clear up in the readme files)" were chosen as there is no real point to stop people editing or using the textures(we can't police the internet). We are also recreating copyrighted textures, no idea what zenimax's stance on it is. I'm sure the old johns from id software new about this texture pack and didn't ask us to stop doing it. Also there is no point to limit the texture pack to doomsday only as other doom engines have the capability. If someone want's to make a mod for another game that remakes a few doom maps and they want to use the textures, that should be fine also(my opinion).
    Thanks KuriKai, I appreciate it.

Well "free to use" means "free to use", "free to use and edit" means "free to use and edit".. big difference!
    Mainly what I was suggesting though is to add the part where it clearly shows that the author gives the "ok" to modify his/her texture added to the readme. ~ everything else "to use" would remain the same. ~ end-user would have to ask via email or something.
    Free for public use ONLY:
    *)You MAY use [MR_ROCKET's, Mr.Rocket's] Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    ~ r/l name: Ron Goode

Free for public use and modification: 
    *)You MAY (use and or modify)[Mr.Rocket's] SPACEW2 Texture ONLY IF you give credit.

For example if PostFatal wanted to modify my recreation of SPACEW2, he wouldn't even have to ask, as it would show in the readme that it would be ok. But of course he would still have to give me credit. As I give credit to the original author "id software" ~ probably Adrian Carmack?
    Anyway, that would answer PostFatal's question above also.

This is the proposal I was trying to make on the previous page, well as clear as I could for other viewers.
    This is all due to when you asked me if it would "be ok" if someone would like to edit or modify one of my textures.

Well, there's may answer, however not only an answer to this, but an answer that will make things more clear in the future for the ones out there that are out to, or feel they should? modify someone else's texture.
    Although in this case, the best learning curve one could take is to simply create a texture from scratch!

Anyways, as said:
    "free to use" means "free to use", "free to use and edit" means "free to use and edit".. big difference!

If this is not cleared up, then I don't want my textures in the resource pack until it is!

Thanks
  • KuriKai wrote:
    The licences of the current pack "free to use(means use and edit which i will clear up in the readme files)"
  • Hi KuriKai,

I know what you posted..
    Here's what I posted in reply:
    Thanks KuriKai, I appreciate it.
    Well "free to use" means "free to use", "free to use and edit" means "free to use and edit".. big difference!
    These textures I give to community as a free gift..
    The text and permissions that I write is part of it and should be attached to it. ~ these rules go all the way back to 1980 heh.

I know you said you'd clear them up...

Can you state what will be said in the readme file?
    From that point I will decide if I want any textures I'v made in the pack.

Thanks
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    spcdoor4.png
    I like this. I think this already has a hi res texture, but this is even better. I also like that Doom now allows the glow from textures to emit a glow point.
  • edited 2014 Jun 14
    Hey Gary,

Going by the list of textures that KuriKai posted a few pages back, spcdoor4 hasn't been done yet, which is why I made it. :)
    Here's the 1024x512 version:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/etc/spcdoor4_1024.png

Yeah I know what you mean, I was thinking of fix'n up a light definition for it. ~ I already have a brightmap made for it, just haven't made a script yet. ~ the little red lights would glow a little too.
    Here's a 256x128 version of it.
    spcdoor4_lights_128x.png
    I tested this out in Doom3 too, with the brightmap and all. It looks pretty cool, would be neat to add a small table so some of the lights blink etc. :P I'v been making textures for a couple different Doom3 mods for a few years now. I'v not yet looked into seeing how texture lights/brightmaps should animate in DE though.

I'd only really go to the trouble of adding some small lights to this texture because after all, it is labeled as a door. ~ even though this door doesn't show its self a whole lot in the IWADS, it still deserves some lights. :\
    The brightmap image above is basically what the door could look like in a room with 0 sector lighting. :)

Thanks
  • Different texture makers have seemingly disagreed over whether those red bits are actually lights; the same red bits appear on the BIGDOOR textures and they weren't considered lights by whoever made the higher resolution versions of those.
  • I think it would be very neat if one day the community started updating custom wad textures into hi res versions. I wonder if that is in the plans or if they need permission from the authors to do that. Seems like no custom wads with custom graphics offer hi res updates.
  • Hey Vermil,

Yeah at the time I wasn't sure as to if they were lights or they just weren't lit heh.
    I'd like for the texture to match up with the other door textures in that regard so it would be easy enough to black out the red in the brightmap if need be.
    Btw, looking at the wiki, I'm limited on the light decoration info and where to put the script once I have one made. Is there any info on this besides the wiki? When I look at the dhtp-doom2lights.ded I only see 1 small script for 1 light, this couldn't be it..

Thanks

Hey Gary,

That would be a huge job, there are soo many custom textures and so many millions of pwads.. that could take a long, long time heh.
    Unless you're talking about tc's and such like Hacks or Chex Quest, that's possible.. But it would probably be best that the main Iwads were finished first. Aliens TC would be neat if it had a hi-res texture pack, so I see what you mean.
    I figure the permissions for such a project would be the same as Doom's, because nothing is being changed in the tc or pwad its self, the texture pack is an addon and the user has the option to use it or not.
    Basically like running a mod with the tc.

Cheers
  • Have a look in the libdoom.pk3 in your Dday installation (inside "data/jdoom") for D1lights.ded and D2lights.ded, for some examples of light decoration definitions.
  • well, main wads like Eternal have custom textures here and there. Some of those custom textures are shared among some other Doom wads. Some of the switches would look neat in hi res.
  • not to be off topic, but on a side note, I wonder if doomsday is getting closer to supporting stuff like this (though it was said 2 years ago it would require many zdoom features (imagine this with models): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOlEcFqm2Y
  • Actually, you are completely off topic gary... (What are you referring to in that video? Running Brutal Doom in Doomsday? If so then no, not much has changed on that front - its a hugely complicated ZDoom mod that relies completely on ZDoom specific features, behaviors, etc...).
  • Yep, brutal doom. I was wondering if we would ever get there. But yes, off topic.

On the topic of textures, I did find the low res version of that door that is being developed above. I saw it earlier in the wad I'm playing now but didn't notice the connection (sometimes it is used as a wall, I think). So yes, it is one texture that hasn't been done.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Have a look in the libdoom.pk3 in your Dday installation (inside "data/jdoom") for D1lights.ded and D2lights.ded, for some examples of light decoration definitions.
    Hey Vermil, I can attach a light source to the texture but really what I'm looking for is a way to attach or layer a brightmap texture over the original. I'v looked around here and at the wiki but having trouble finding this info, would it be something to the nature of the way gzdoom would do it with a TEXTURE script? or in DE's case would it use a material script similar to Doom3?

SPCDOOR4 ~ being the primary texture name.
    SPCDOOR4LITE ~ the brightmap to layer over the primary.

I'm sure Danij would know without having to even think about it, but I wouldn't want to bother him about it.

Thanks
  • Doomsday doesn't support brightmaps. Though Doomsday already supports detail textures and shiniemaps, which are extra layers placed over the top of textures (i.e it's not like Dday doesn't have features with some similarity already, which may make brightmaps easier to support).

That said though, Doomsday does offer a couple of features that could perhaps be used to fudge something that looks like a brightmap in the meantime; shinemaps and textured dynamic lights: I used the former in a very old mod of mine to make something that looked like a brightmap, when I wanted something in between unlit and full bright.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... vasion-tc/

It's perhaps kind of difficult to see in those screenshots, but there is only one full bright texture in those screenshots; the rest use shinemaps and dynamic lights.

Of course, Deng Team would probably frown on kludges, but if you wish to test how a brightmap might look on your texture, there is nothing wrong with a little private experiment.
  • Hey Vermil, I will credit you for helping me with this.
    Also, thanks for all the info, and I need to check out Corridor 7!

Which would you suggest be best for an improvised sort of brigthmap layer? detail or shiniemaps?

Thanks
  • Hi, this is a bit off topic but..

I was on map04 of DooM2 and noticed that a tech wall texture wasn't showing up as a hi-res texture, (over by where you get the blue key) well not knowing it's name, I opened Doom builder to check, I was like okay, it's TEKLITE2.
    So I was prepared to make a new TEKLITE2 texture, but was curious of what other TEKLITE's there were and I found TEKLITE and TEKLITE2 in the resource pack.

Why isn't TEKLITE2 showing up in game? TEKLITE does..

Thanks
  • Could the Teklite2 PNG be in a format unreadable by Dday?
  • Hey Vermil,

Both TEKLITE and TEKLITE2 are png format. ~ I'm able to view them both in my paint program, but only TEKLITE shows up as hi-res in game, TEKLITE2 doesn't.

Really strange that it doesn't when I can view it in paint shop.
    I suppose it's possible that somehow the image binary is broken, but I'd figure the image wouldn't be viewable at all then?
    I haven't looked, but I suppose it could also be possible that the texture name or patch name differs in the IWAD? but again, I haven't looked.

Does TEKLITE2 show up as hi-res for you?
  • *)You MAY use/edit Chilvence's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)You MAY use/edit KuriKai's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit as ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)You MAY use/edit Freelanzer's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you credit him with Real name (Jacob Østergaard), email address(freelanzer@gmail.com), and website (http://freelanzer.com)".
    *)You MAY use/edit DaniJ's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit.
    *)You MAY use/edit Reinchard's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)You MAY use [MR_ROCKET's, Mr.Rocket's] Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you credit him with Real name (Ron Goode).
    *)You MAY (use/edit)[MR_ROCKET's, Mr.Rocket's] SPACEW2 Texture ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)For all other textures, you need to ask permission from the author to redistribute.

But what about your slime_13, brick10, brick11, brick12 textures? they fall under the use only?

Also, thanks for reporting the TEKLITE2 texture not showing up in doom2, it's fixed in the next pack that I will release
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Hey Vermil, I will credit you for helping me with this.
    Also, thanks for all the info, and I need to check out Corridor 7!

Which would you suggest be best for an improvised sort of brigthmap layer? detail or shiniemaps?

Thanks
    Now, to come back to this.

What I basically did was repurpose a shinemap/reflection as a fake brightmap.

I duplicated my texture for the mask map and blacked out all the areas I didn't want lit. I then made a mask map texture that was solid white (which happened to be the same dimensions as my texture).

Reflection {
    Texture = "1ELEV4F"
    Min color { .5 .5 .5 }
    Shiny map = "WhiteMask"
    Mask map = "Masks/1ELEV1F"
    Shininess = .4
    }

Obviously, this isn't an actual brightmap; it will still be affected to some degree by sector light level and such. But It can be used to make select areas of a texture (or flat) brighter.
  • Hi,
    KuriKai wrote:
    But what about your slime_13, brick10, brick11, brick12 textures? they fall under the use only?
    Yeah that's fine.
    Also, thanks for reporting the TEKLITE2 texture not showing up in doom2, it's fixed in the next pack that I will release
    Np, good to hear!

Thanks

@Vermil, Okay I'll check it out tonight!
    Are Reflection/Shinmaps working in the current version?

Thanks