DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

191012141538

Comments

  • @Gary: My guess is, if these photos are from real life, you could retake them to get a High-Res version of them. That is my guess. Or use "re-taken" pictures of them already on the net.

    @Reinchard: I am german, and some just look familiar, but I cannot place them ... Record 1 and 2 look familiar to me, same with 7 and maybe even 5. If I get an idea, I will let you know.

    Maybe ancient Rome (around Caesar)
  • I'm just searching photos that will be used for Daggerfall and Doom textures.

    Brick12:
    http://i.xomf.com/vfycr.png

    dmnvx.png

    Ingame screenshot:
    http://i.xomf.com/pmdmx.png
  • Looking good. I'd suggest making the emboss effect more subtle in the hires version. I appreciate that its the same dimensions as the lowres version but I'd argue that is only because they can't make it smaller due to having reached the pixel level.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'd argue that is only because they can't make it smaller due to having reached the pixel level.
    I think they can do it. Look at the textures like brick8 for example. I agree with you, but my goal was to make a texture most similar to the original as possible, so I leave this.
  • Is this still being worked on? Reason I'm asking is because I happened to notice quite a few textures that are still not high-res. You can see almost all of them in Episode 3. You can instantly tell because a lot of them are still blurry. Also noticed medkits are still blurred as well.
  • Its still alive. But no one is submitting textures and I'm currently working on 3d models for doom.
  • Nevander wrote:
    Also noticed medkits are still blurred as well.
    They aren't blurred with Kingennio's enhancements, but with the plain old model pack, they are. Here is his stuff and the pack for Doom is at the bottom of this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=439
  • gary wrote:
    Nevander wrote:
    Also noticed medkits are still blurred as well.
    They aren't blurred with Kingennio's enhancements, but with the plain old model pack, they are. Here is his stuff and the pack for Doom is at the bottom of this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=439
    I tried this new pack and now I'm getting significant FPS drops. Not sure what's causing it. Not a fan of the 'bloody screen, so real' thing going on either.
  • Hi,

    Wall texture:
    SPACEW2, also known as RW46_2 is underway for Doom2, not sure if it's in Ult-Doom though.

    Noticed it wasn't on map02 of Doom2 the other day so I started on it!
    Anyways, it's in the works. ;)

    It's currently 512x1024 in png.
    What format did it need to be in tga?

    Thanks
  • Hi,

    Here ya go: SPACEW2.png
    spacew2.png

    Yes, this is actually meant to be an ugly looking texture heh. ~ rusty/gritty/and not much detail..
    I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but it does look better than the original.
    ~ though of course fitting with a classic Doom feel. :) I decided not to make it look, hmm overly done.. it just seemed like the type of texture that shouldn't stick out too much so I stopped where I was at with it. There is of course still room to improve on it, for example some somewhat shiny metal flanged fittings where the little pipes would fit together etc. As well as bit of pixel noise smoothing from sharpening the image after resizing it. But truthfully these things aren't really noticeable once in game. The pixel grittiness seems to add to the idea of it being some fine rust build up on parts of it imo.

    The first place you'll see it is in Doom2 map02.
    This is the actual texture I would upload to the project site, so you should be able to right click, download, and slap it in the resource pack..

    When I first started on it, it was 1024x512, this however is at 512x256. ~ which dropped it to 264kb.
    Is there any chance that DE might support normalmaps in the future?

    Thanks
  • Maybe time to update the pack again soon. Also it would be neat if it became a hi res normal map pack. maybe just plain old hi res textures are obsolete.
  • looks good, do you still have the larger version?
    May I put it in the DHTP?
    What permissions do you have on other people editing it? I suggest allow to do anything with it if they credit you.
  • Hey, KuriKai

    This texture is completely from scratch, but I don't mind if someone wants to update it a bit, I'd like them to at least credit me though heh.
    I didn't spend much time on this one, but there is a reason for it, to me it seems to be a modest texture and I think it would look weird if it was overly detailed.

    I have the larger 1024x512 version but it won't look much different even at 256 color, as there's not tons of color to the drawing. Also I did some small tweaks to the texture at 512x256, not much though, only some small highlights and darkening of the upper and low panels, to add a small bit of depth.

    It doesn't look bad in game, specially when lighting from gun fire or something is around it.

    Yes, slap it in the DHTP. :)

    Thanks
  • It seems most of the textures in Doom have been upgraded. It is good that people are still trying to get them all up to date so there are no original low res ones left to update. I wonder how many are left to do.
  • Cool, could you send me the larger un-palleted one? as a png?
  • gary wrote:
    It seems most of the textures in Doom have been upgraded. It is good that people are still trying to get them all up to date so there are no original low res ones left to update. I wonder how many are left to do.

    44 textures left to make for the shared doom textures
    dbrain1.placeholder
    dbrain2.placeholder
    dbrain3.placeholder
    dbrain4.placeholder
    rock4.placeholder
    rock5.placeholder
    rockred1.placeholder
    rockred2.placeholder
    rockred3.placeholder
    shawn3.placeholder
    skincut.placeholder
    skinlow.placeholder
    skinmet2.placeholder
    skinscab.placeholder
    skinsymb.placeholder
    sladwall.placeholder
    spcdoor4.placeholder
    sp_dude1.placeholder
    sp_dude2.placeholder
    sp_dude4.placeholder
    sp_dude5.placeholder
    sp_face2.placeholder
    sp_rock1.placeholder
    stargr2.placeholder
    step2.placeholder
    step5.placeholder
    tanrock2.placeholder
    tanrock4.placeholder
    tanrock5.placeholder
    tanrock8.placeholder
    wood12.placeholder
    zzwolf2.placeholder
    zzwolf6.placeholder
    zzzface1.placeholder
    zzzface2.placeholder
    zzzface3.placeholder
    zzzface4.placeholder
    zzzface5.placeholder
    zzzface6.placeholder
    zzzface7.placeholder
    zzzface8.placeholder
    zzzface9.placeholder
    
    Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Done, thanks
  • Hi,

    SPCDOOR4 is underway for Doom2. :)

    Edit:

    And here it is!
    Still under development however...
    spcdoor4_512x.png

    There's a few things I need to do to it, the hue is a bit off at the moment and there's some embedded sort of circuitry that needs added in the top corners, as well as smooth out some curved edges etc.. Then finally a little highlight and shading..other than that it's almost complete. :) ~ it's about 90%..

    ~ Spending a little more time on this one, the 1024x512 version looks much better in this case.
    Will post a download when ready!

    BTW, does anyone know which level of Doom2 this texture shows its self? ~ so far I'v only tested it in a pwad I fixed up for it.
    Curious of how well it tiles in an actual game iwad..even though it's a door texture, I'm not yet sure if the id software devs used it as one back in the day.

    Thanks
  • Good, keep them coming. the more the merrier. This is a burst in texture activity I haven't seen in a while. :)
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    BTW, does anyone know which level of Doom2 this texture shows its self? ~ so far I'v only tested it in a pwad I fixed up for it.
    Curious of how well it tiles in an actual game iwad..even though it's a door texture, I'm not yet sure if the id software devs used it as one back in the day.
    It's used on the doors of the red brick building on Map16.
  • Hi,

    Ah okay, thanks for looking into it Vermil.
    ;)

    It looks like I will need to do some small adjustments for depth, we'll see though, maybe when I get to tweaking the hue and shadowing; that may straighten it out.

    Thanks
  • Hi,

    Okay, here ya go: spcdoor4.png
    spcdoor4.png

    1024x512 version:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/etc/spcdoor4_1024.png


    KuriKai, I'd rather this one not be modified..

    Thanks
  • cool,
    Are you sure you don't want to let people edit and improve it if they want?(this also helps people learn) maybe they can use it as a base for a custom texture.

    So what are the rules on your textures "brick10, brick11, brick12, spacew2"?

    I will put in the readme that they need to ask you for permission first before doing anything.

    This is what others have chosen to allow
    *)You MAY use Chilvence's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)You MAY use KuriKai's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit as ONLY IF you give credit.
    *)You MAY use Freelanzer's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you credit him with Real name (Jacob Østergaard), email address(freelanzer@gmail.com), and website (http://freelanzer.com)".
    *)You MAY use DaniJ's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit.
    *)You MAY use Reinchard's Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    
  • Hey KuriKai,

    I'd really not like for anyone to edit or modify my textures..
    I don't mind if anyone wants to use them, that's the reason I made them heh.

    On the side of using a texture "anyway you see fit", it is to my understanding that said texture can be used, anyway, and in any game anyone would like, this however only has to do with "using" the texture.
    Said User can use the texture and make sweet love to it, as long as they credit me heh.

    As shown in the author permissions you posted above:
    *)You MAY use [Author name's] Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    
    Using a texture however doesn't imply that one can freely edit or modify the texture, it means they can ONLY use it.

    That said, no I wouldn't want someone to "edit or modify" any of my textures.
    However ~ SPACEW2 on the other hand is a special case texture where I purposely didn't spend much time on and don't mind if someone would like to edit/modify or update the texture, just as long as they credit me for the primary texture base.

    The other textures can freely be "used" but DO NOT modify them! I expect to be credited for anything I make of course.
    This permission is for pretty much any current or future textures I post, unless stated otherwise like SPACEW2. ;)

    Even after these rules and permissions apply, someone may still want to edit or modify one of my textures, please ask first and chances are, I'd consider it, but only if they give me credit.

    "brick10, brick11, brick12, spcdoor4" ~ and any other textures I may have in the build? http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/textu ... tures.html are for public use.. ~ aside from SPACEW2 which I give permission to modify, but of course is still also for public use.
    Free for public use ONLY:
    *)You MAY use [MR_ROCKET's, Mr.Rocket's] Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    ~ r/l name: Ron Goode
    
    Free for public use and modification: 
    *)You MAY (use and or modify)[Mr.Rocket's] SPACEW2 Texture ONLY IF you give credit.
    

    =============================================================

    After some thought, I'd like to make a proposal for a new modification rule:
    As shown above, if the "modification rule" isn't in the current resource packs? It should be..
    This way both end-user and author will have a better understanding about what can be modified and what can't, and the author will feel more secure about his/her artwork. This will clearly show which artwork isn't and is allowed to be modified. ~ even though both can be publically USED.


    Thanks


    EDIT:
    There should also be something said if someone wants to use these textures "or any other resources" in another game besides DE.
    Something to the nature of:

    This resource pack was created for the Doomsday Engine.. http://dengine.net however it can freely be used in another game engine outside of the Doom Community. If this is the case, and you would like to use any resources or assets in this pack in an entirely different game? Please by all means contact the author! He/She would without a doubt like to see how their artwork looks in another game also! ~ And not to forget, please give credit where credit is due!

    Thanks
  • I don't mean to be pedantic, but the bit about other games always bothered me. Also, is there a non commercial use clause? Otherwise we are giving away Id copyright material.

    Yes, it's all stuff that's been created by the community, but its closely based on artwork copyrighted by id.

    As an example, if these were used in another game, id could be knocking on their door for having the union aerospace logo in their game.
  • Hi Tea Monster,

    Well I see your point, but the fact that the textures, models, etc. are recreations and not direct copies is what allows them to be freely distributed. This art isn't being copied, it's being recreated. for example when you look at a vase and paint a picture of it. Lets say the actual vase has a crack in it, but the painted version doesn't, in fact the painted version looks much better than the original because of that, yet still looks much like the original. Even though the painted version now looks better, it will never look exactly like the original. What's happened here is that the vase was looked at, "drawn from scratch", and represented as a better looking version. ~ but is indeed not the original and could never physically be the original, even though it looks very much like it.
    I think the same would apply if I was to paint a picture of a $100 bill, I couldn't buy anything with it, as it's visually not a $100 bill but only an impression of the original.

    What id software wouldn't want is for someone to take their artwork, slightly modify it, and call it their own, and or try to sell it. This is why everything is to be free and created from scratch.
    The textures and any other resources are free and are to remain free, just like the source engines.

    All Doom likenesses and logo's are registered trademarks of id software.
    We or anyone can use these likenesses but we can't modify them or sell them. ~ and the same should apply to our own work.

    Thanks
  • I think copyright is overrated and IP property holds us back as a species. Really holds back progress and the exchange and improvement of ideas. As they say, you can't own an idea. Just requiring the crediting of the person or company would eliminate the copyright IP silliness. I think it is the greed of excessively capitalists societies like the USA these days that like to restrict the publicity of such ideas or freedom to use them, stifling real progress.
  • edited 2014 Jun 13
    Hi,

    I don't want this to be some political video game add-on conspiracy or anything heh.
    But I would like for things to be a bit clearer for everyone to see and feel better about the current permissions etc.
    (this suggests that the texture resource packs README file be slightly updated) so that if at some point someone wants to modify a given texture, the readme file will tell them otherwise whether they can or they can't.
    So, again to keep things clean I'd like to make sure everyone is on the same page here:

    After some thought, I'd like to make a proposal for a new modification rule:
    As shown, if the "modification rule" isn't in the current resource packs? It should be..
    This way both end-user and author will have a better understanding about what can be modified and what can't, and the author will feel more secure about his/her artwork. This will clearly show which artwork isn't and is allowed to be modified. ~ even though both can be publically USED.

    So then, textures or any other resources for that matter should NOT be modified, UNLESS stated otherwise, as shown below:
    Free for public use ONLY:
    *)You MAY use [MR_ROCKET's, Mr.Rocket's] Textures and Flats for any use you see fit ONLY IF you give credit.
    ~ r/l name: Ron Goode
    
    Free for public use and modification: 
    *)You MAY (use and or modify)[Mr.Rocket's] SPACEW2 Texture ONLY IF you give credit.
    

    As shown above, the first part says that anyone can USE any texture(s) I'v contributed to the texture resource addon, as long as you give me credit.
    For example, Free to ONLY USE: ~ It's done..don't mess with it! :)
    SPCDOOR4
    spcdoor4.png


    The next part says that anyone can USE the texture, but also can MODIFY this texture (..stating that SPACEW2 is free to edit) if they want,(perhaps educational purposes?), as long as you give me credit.
    For example, Free to USE and to EDIT or modify: ~ Feel free to splatter some blood on it.. I don't care. :)
    SPACEW2
    spacew2.png

    So far though, I don't see why anyone would fall short to this proposal?
    Just remember the original author could update his/her texture/resource at any given time rendering your version obsolete. :P

    Thanks :)
  • edited 2014 Jun 13
    Carmack should have said that about his doom engine. free to use but don't alter it. Oh no, that wouldn't work, we wouldn't have Doomsday engine.

    I don't have any idea who's textures are whos in the resource pack, maybe they should be watermarked like google maps. Nothing better than having a bunch of readme files and credit files and permission files to keep up with.
Sign In or Register to comment.