DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

Comments

• ok, found out the reason, the build script is trying to pushd into the decotations folder, but does not exist. which then breaks the package building.

there are no decoratiosn yet, but a dead cacodemon, is a decoration, so i will create a dead cacodemon decoration pack and upload to github, this will fix the issue
    https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_types
  • ok thx, looking forward to it
  • edited 2019 Jul 19
    @0815Jack The Dead cacodemon decoration model has now been pushed to github, the pack now should compile without any issues.

I'm currently am working on the shotgun and super shotgun, a new pack will be released once i have these complete
  • @KuriKai yes now it works :)

the fists are looking great..... :D .... the right hand might look better with and darker skin (at least on my setup) the keycards are very faithful to the original

question: is there another command than git clone https://github.com/KuriKai/dhtp.git for just updating from github cause "clone" doesn't work on an existing directory?
  • in the dhmp root directory, type "git pull"
  • Great job recreating my spider mastermind character! It's crazy to see someone spend so much time recreating something I made 25 years ago. I am working on an archvile for fun currently, hopefully will be sharing images of it soon.
  • I have a problem; the DHMP won't properly completely build; it starts running, it creates the doomsday directory and then when it stops it deletes the doomsday directory. The last stuff I see before it stops and I can't read anymore is several lines that say updating. The build program stops, the window goes away, and the doomsday directory at that moment disappears from the master directory.
  • edited 2019 Jul 29
    @punchatz Thanks. Teamonster made the model and textures it and I rigged it with bones and animated it. I look forward to seeing the archvile. How are you making it?

@3DMaster post the output into a pastebin please
  • Thank you punchatz! It was a pleasure. I've always appreciated the design of the Doom monsters. I love the gleefull insanity of the Spider Mastermind and the inhuman visage of the Archvile. I'd love to see your modern take on it.

Would you have any source photos of your work that you wouldn't mind sharing? We are always looking for reference to make sure our work is as much like the original as possible.

Thanks again!
  • >@3DMaster post the output into a pastebin please

How do I do that?
  • run the build script in a terminal

copy and paste the output to
    https://pastebin.com/
  • Where does it place the output? Is there a file made? The window goes away on its own, I don't get to copy and paste it.
  • what are the steps you are taking to build it?
  • @Tea Monster I dont have any photos that have not been uploaded to the internet already... I was terrible at taking pictures of my work :( I do have the molds for the spider mastermind and mancubus, I want to scan them at some point.

@KuriKai I am using Maya, Zbrush and Mari on my new Archvile. While he is going to be a hell of lot more detailed and refined, he is going to be the classic Archvile for the most part.

Rip and Tear
  • I double click the .sh file and it starts running.
  • edited 2019 Aug 5
    ry0u76pdvg95.png

@punchatz This is a wip of the archvile i've been making, how accurate would it be? I have referenced your model, a sketch of what i think is the archvile, and the sprite.

Or would it be possible for us to get your model in-game?

@3DMaster can you explain more a step by step of what you are doing?
  • edited 2019 Sep 11
    There's a DHMP-doomsday.sh file in the build directory, I double click that. The script starts running in a window, old-school DOS/command prompt colors, I have to choose quality settings, I pick S (src), which is the highest setting, should I look a directory higher I see the Doomsday directory that the instructions tell me I should eventually zip up being created; but when the script stops and the window automatically closes, the doomsday directory is deleted again.
  • You are running in windows?
  • edited 2019 Aug 17
    This is what I'm working on at the moment. I've got to do some more passes on the clothing. The Chaingunner is on tap as well, but he's got to go through an 'enchonkifiying' procedure when the others are done.

Proportions of the figures are deliberately squat to fit into the game style of the original game. We thought that normal, or 'Hero' porportioned models would look out of place.

wo43cw7h3ab1.jpg
  • edited 2019 Aug 19
    KuriKai wrote: »
    ry0u76pdvg95.png

@punchatz This is a wip of the archvile i've been making, how accurate would it be? I have referenced your model, a sketch of what i think is the archvile, and the sprite.

Or would it be possible for us to get your model in-game?

Here is where my current Archie is at but he has a long way to go!!

idaujgndjbvt.jpg

I don't think I would want my model in a public release... because my involvement with the original game it could get sticky if I released this.

You can use it to guide some of your model work... it will help you get the proportions a bit closer.

• Wow that's looking great already, yeah that makes sense, thanks for showing it off.
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    You are running in windows?

Yes.
  • edited 2019 Sep 11

Proportions of the figures are deliberately squat to fit into the game style of the original game. We thought that normal, or 'Hero' porportioned models would look out of place.

wo43cw7h3ab1.jpg

As I recall, the only time they looked short and squat in the original game was when newer monitors came out and the 4:3 game got stretched to widescreen. But me being 67 years old my memory may not be so perfect. Seriously, they look stretched.
  • looking good and going back onto the spin of the chain gun it is spinning clockwise as you can tell from the shine as if it was spinning in the opposite direction the sine would be on the left not the right of the gun. another sing that it spins clockwise is the little bolt on the right of the gun that is only visible when not having the full hud up. tho going at full speed and not having that one marker when you do not have the full head i do agree that you can say it can spin ether way. technically they could have had 3 sprites for the chaingun rotation but 2 is enough.
  • I got a prompt to updat "Git for windows" and I did. Tried the .sh again; now a zip is created if I click the dhmp-doomsday.sh; however virtually every directory in the zip is empty. The text running in the dos/command window keeps saying "Zip error, could not create output file." I've been trying to look for this error, but all the errors I find are with stand alone zip programs, and none of the "solutions" have anything to do with Git.
  • is there any output to the build script?
  • Where does it put the build script and what is its filename?
  • @3DMaster dhmp-doomsday.sh is the build script

Finally figured out how to rig an arm to a weapon so it animates well
    9koxt40mtqnb.png

• @skyjake Is there anyway to stop a hud model being cut off by the minimum render distance? when trying to position the shotgun to match the sprite as close as possible, parts close to the camera get cut off.
  • Now that the weapon model uses its own FOV, it should be pretty easy to set a really small minimum render distance for it.

https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2373