DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

1121314151618»

Comments

• Hi,

i noticed that WIP models were added to github some months ago. I tried to get them ingame but it doesn't work for me. Either the game crashes or does nothing....

Are these models too early for being ingame?

• are you compiling the pack? running the build script?
  • yes. I copied the stuff from the wip folder into the regular subfolders and run the script afterwards....

I tried different approaches like all, only powerups, only decorations but nothing worked for me....
  • Nice looking indeed, but why creating hi-res models when the latest version is 20181226 on the DHMP homepage? We are talking about almost 3 years without any update for the Doomsday Engine! I know there is a way to update manually, but an updated installation file would be very much appreciated!
  • wyland wrote: »
    Nice looking indeed, but why creating hi-res models when the latest version is 20181226 on the DHMP homepage? We are talking about almost 3 years without any update for the Doomsday Engine! I know there is a way to update manually, but an updated installation file would be very much appreciated!

Very much agreed, since I can't compile a new one myself either.
  • what errors are everyone getting when trying to build it themselves?
  • edited 2021 Sep 10
    There are plans to introduce a new renderer to Doomsday that will alter the look and feel of the pack. This is taking some time to put together.

Also, there are personal events and projects that have taken our time on the pack and for a variety of reasons we have deferred any updates.

Also, despite multiple posts on here and Doomworld forums, the Doom community still seems to think that the only models available are the ones from Sitters. No offence to the guy, but they are getting a wee bit old now.
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    what errors are everyone getting when trying to build it themselves?

Look on the previous two pages.
  • edited 2021 Sep 12
    KuriKai wrote: »
    what errors are everyone getting when trying to build it themselves?

The thing is, most of us are no programmers, just users. That's why it's a lot easier to use an installation file instead of compiling and running build scripts! Don't get me wrong, you guys do a great job and I really appreciate your work!
  • Happy singles day! 11:11
    to celebrate, here is a new build of the dhmp
    get it from https://dhmp.hiriwa.com

note, cause it's been a while, i'm not 100%sure what extra is included compared to the last release. What i do know is that the postlight reflections are updated a bit
    Happy singles day! 11:11
    to celebrate, here is a new build of the dhmp
    get it from https://dhmp.hiriwa.com

note, cause it's been a while, i'm not 100%sure what extra is included compared to the last release. What i do know is that the postlight reflections are updated a bit

thx for the update.....

I noticed the black candle and the keycards .... but some wip stuff isn't ready yet

• I am working on my first go around as a complete novice when comes to modding by creating the Box Of Shells. I've got a very basic blender file going, .FBX exported, and used the Ammobox info.dei as a baseline to create my own. I modified some of the entries to refer to my new file created, and left the textures alone. I want to package it up to do a test, even with the wrong textures, just to make sure im on the right path/learning. However im stumped about how do i add my new .pack file with the rest of the .pack files, and how do i tell Doomsday that i am replacing the box of shells with my new one?

Appreciate any help and guidance going forward.
  • edit the dei and change

title: DHMP Ammo Box
    version: 20181206-2311
    to be something like
    title: DHMP Ammo Box Alt
    version: 20220613-0424

rename the pack Ammobox.pack to something like AmmoboxAlt.pack

if you want it to load in the dhmp pack edit the
    dhmp.pack/info.dei file
    cahnge
    recommends <com.hiriwa.dhmp.ammunition.ammobox
    to be
    recommends <com.hiriwa.dhmp.ammunition.ammoboxalt
  • The aspect-ratio issue:

Having recently stumbled over the following video by Displaced Gamers (definitely watch it yourself): and I was reminded of this new Model Pack; in particular the Cyber Demon. I know the Cyber Demon was not yet finished and isn't in the pack, but I remember replying that it seemed so short and less imposing than it used to be.

And I'll be damned if that doesn't seem exactly the issue.

With the recently released compiled version of the pack having the Spider Mastermind I went to play the game and warped to the Spider Mastermind's level; and yes, I find it to be rather short as well. In hindsight, I have to say that the Cacodemon is rather chunky himself.

I've quickly flipped through this topic, and I find the beginning stages of the Imp short as well; and on page 9 with a picture of many models the tree especially seems chunky too.

It seems then, that the models are created based upon the dimensions of the original sprites; these however are made for 4:3 screen aspect ratio withe resolution 320x200; that is however a pixel aspect ratio of 16:10. That means all the sprites once they were put on the screen were stretched vertically 20% (From 16:10 to 16:12.)

The question now becomes, should engines do the ratio correcting (and is that performance wise even an option, especially taking into account 3D models), or should asset/model creators take this into account; I suppose, first correct the original sprites with a 20% vertical stretch and then work off of that?

I figured I posted this issue here (first) as I noticed the issue, again, most notably with the Cyber Demon; but I suppose it should be going to a more general topic, and probably beyond just Doomsday. If you want to make packs that work on more than one engine, and not look completely different than everyone needs to treat this issue the same, don't they?
  • we scale the models to extracted sprites, so yes the probably are a bit squashed in game, it would be good for the engine to be able to scale the height.
  • edited 2022 Nov 2
    Announcing that we are aiming to do a new release soon! We have the shotgun and super shotgun, as well as the plasma rifle ready to go in the pack. There are a variety of other attractions such as the skull keys and some torches and lights. 518os08mzafe.jpg
    idz7n78i6c25.jpg
    9fbsd4w4rhrm.jpg
    oq784zc2av2w.jpg

A thank you to Mark, who provided a tech lamp for the project.
    460o609yjnve.jpg

We've also created a donation site if you wish to contribute to the creators of the pack. Any help given is gratefully received.

https://paypal.me/DoomHMP

• awesome looking models :)

I was perplexed by the look of chellos voxel doom mod, but real 3D models are definetly also an eye catcher.....

Were the remaining issues with the dengine fixed?
  • I will be attempting to do things the way vierdo does things. Which will solve our current issues
  • edited 2022 Nov 8
    n5rpreb1mk2g.png
    Backpack is in progress. Next is a sculpting pass to get folds and creases.
  • New computer map model ingame
    46h6zpe2pseo.png
    https://youtu.be/BSx3HKVrqTQ

Big thanks to @veirdo for the shader that allowed me to animate the map
  • Tha's a remarkably big cumbersome map to log around.
  • Invis sphere WIP
  • New 2022-12-31 release!
    grab it from here https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp/wiki
    3k7w0xnvs4o6.png

• thx...awsome looking stuff added :)

just a question... is the rotating of weapons and objects deactivated now?
  • we never had them rotating.

maybe in the future we can add an option for that
    we never had them rotating.

maybe in the future we can add an option for that

I'm pretty sure I saw them rotating at some time... but I can't remember the dengine build or DHMP version....
  • that would have been with the jdrp
  • Looks awesome! Nice work!
  • I don't like the shotguns; for one thing they're grey rather than black, but they also don't feel like the sprites like the other hud weapons did.