DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• As has been said previously, the skull is canted forward at an angle. The teeth will be visible, but they will be more in shadow.
  • You say original is "looking" down but from Miltens red/yellow lines I see the front is higher then background... You know, original is hand drawn, so everything like shadows can't be remade correctly with proper light settings becouse this is just impossible. But I prepared few versions of rough renders for you:

- 7 degrees in X axis (something like in Miltens sketch):
    angle1.jpg

+4 degrees in X axis:
    angle2.jpg
  • Maybe they could make some hi res versions of switches for Eternal. some switches there are spooky and would be neat in high res. Some of these switches look like they could be high res versions of some of those.
  • Reinchard wrote:
    You say original is "looking" down but from Miltens red/yellow lines I see the front is higher then background... You know, original is hand drawn, so everything like shadows can't be remade correctly with proper light settings becouse this is just impossible. But I prepared few versions of rough renders for you:

- 7 degrees in X axis (something like in Miltens sketch):
    angle1.jpg

+4 degrees in X axis:
    angle2.jpg
    You doing this skull as a 3d model?
  • Yes, in most cases I'm work between 3d nad 2d to make texture.
  • So?? What you think - you leave old switch or replace it with this one?
  • currently i think the skull looks like a pig from the psx game tombi, you have cut the sides of the skull off.

would you be able to share the skull model with me? did you wanna attempt with the skull model i used?

I am intrigued by the frame around it, but I don't know what it's supposed to be exactly, wood? shiny rock?
  • Pig? Ok, but for me this is skull is identical in 99% with original art and much accurate then current one, which looks nothing like Doom. But ok, I respect different point of view. They be in my alternative pack.
  • Here's another version of brown96 (not finished yet):
    brown_v3.jpg

untitled.jpg
  • Reinchard wrote:
    Here's another version of brown96 (not finished yet):
    brown_v3.jpg

untitled.jpg
    I like the top parts of this one(the parts that stick out).
    I like the colour of the previous one. The new one looks like you have used an sharpness filter on the colour.
  • Thanks. I don't use any filter, this effect could be created accidentally. In this version I worked very carefully on perfect color matching nad painting them identically like in original, so they fit better then previous one.
  • A month after the last release, a new release has come, with many updated textures to improve the faithfulness. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Version 20150723

Some examples here
    https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/commit/ ... 9fb3330dc8

https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/commit/ ... ae3c46ce0c

Get it from http://dhtp.hiriwa.com

[edit] fixed links
  • Your links dont work, they're shortened by ...
  • nice job on the latest release!!! I was just wondering if you made any progress on the glitchy waterfall graphics?
  • I've given the ZDoom DHTP a test on GZDoom and Zandronum and the issue appears to be ZDoom's limited support of Dday directory structure options: it only seems to fully support one of the variants Dday allows, namely '/data/jdoom/textures', which is co-incidentally the only example listed on the ZDoom Wiki: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Doomsday

Using this Dday directory structure variant, the waterfalls appear to work properly in the ZDoom pack.

Indeed, that the Dday DHTP pack doesn't use the 'data/jdoom/textures' directory structure variant might be the only reason the Dday pack can't be used on ZDoom as is (and therefore remove the need for a ZDoom specific version of the DHTP), at least now days anyway (i.e ZDoom may have had other compatibility issues in the past, I don't know), assuming ZDoom can gracefully ignore the Dday specific shine maps?
  • So we need to report it as a bug to zdoom?
  • Or the person who wants to use the pack in ZDoom can re-pack it accordingly. NOP.
  • I believe that if one makes a new version of the DHTP that has everything in 'data/jdoom/textures' and 'data/jdoom/flats' (what one does with the shinemaps doesn't matter as ZDoom doesn't support them) it should work fine in both ZDoom and Doomsday with no need for a separate pack for each.

Though I have only given the DHTP a quick test in ZDoom.
  • This sounds like GREAT news!! I hope to see a zdoom update coming soon! :))))
  • Added a switch resource folder to github so people can use them in their textures
    https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/tree/master/switches
  • It will be neat once they are put in a new pack all ready for an easy download. Good textures and switches.
  • One thing KuriKai - considering the lack of interest on this forum I try to ask for opinion/criticism doomers from other forums and there is nobody there who have claimed that skull swicth from the latest release fit/look better then my work, on the contrary all doomers says that my version fit more to Doom then current one. So I don't understand one thing. You have much much criticism for my works (sometimes you're right so thanks) but yo have zero criticism for your work and you just put to the pack everything you draw just because its yours? That not sound like community project to me, rather personal project.
    Here's example of what doomers say:
    http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=180
    http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1396450

If you really don't see which one is better (I do not believe in that) take a look at previous post from this thread and forums above.
  • I don't ask for criticism over at those other forums, as I have had enough experience to know that it will not help the pack (they say the pack is shit every release, they say it removes the doom feeling, even though the pack is in the best state(most authentic feeling) it has ever been. I went through and removed the truly awful textures and started creating new ones. though they still say the new ones are worse than the old ones)

I take criticism for most of what I have done before it goes in on the forums here(example viewtopic.php?f=3&t=875&start=700#p13762) and through other graphic artists on IM. Most stuff nowadays is from what others have created, or me just tweaking some textures to improve them)

I put my skull in, as what I put in, was better than before (see sw1panel.png https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/commit/ ... 1013985951)

I even replaced the previous panel textures (that I created) with the ones that you created (see README_WALLS.txt
    https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP/commit/ ... 9fb3330dc8)

Your skull is close(which i notice is now a more updated version), but it looks like it's upper jaw is made of clay and stuck on. and it looks like someone has cut out the left and right sides of the skull.
    KP63exW.png

For the on switch even though the skull is pressed in, the teeth/upper jaw still create shadow on the frame, the red light in the eyes also have overlap on the outside of the skull, deng can do that in the engine.
    kgz1KG4.png

As I said before though, I do like the frame. though is there a version with less shine?

On every project there has to be someone who decides what goes in and what doesn't. There are multiple versions of many textures. Some one has to decide what is best to go in the pack. If I feel my texture isn't good enough, it won't go in. If someone makes something better than me, I will replace mine for theirs.

Thankyou for offering textures to go in the pack, as it is a community project and not many people do.
  • You answer yourself why so many doomers says that "it removes the doom feeling" - you choose skull that don't remind that one from Doom in anything, with flat not realistic shading instead of choosing skull that was true to the original as possible, with much depth and realistic shading + much more details just because you think "it's upper jaw is made of clay and stuck on. and it looks like someone has cut out the left and right sides of the skull". Thats so microscopic imperfections (apart from that no one else see its jaw as made from clay and sides of the skull are identical as original and I made them specially to look like this) in comparison to skull that have every single part different from original art. You see now what I'm talking?
    I have no pretensions for not included my work in the pack - thats ok if there are serious reasons. But in this case your decision have big and bad influence on whole pack feeling.

edit:
    oh, and I don't have version with less shine on frame, but its not big deal to make them (I don't know if this is good idea)
  • With the skull, I'm saying, the skull I replaced is better than what was there before(higher res also, can't upscale what already was there), and if a few tweaks are done to yours, then your skull will replace the one I put in, as yours is better.

If I remove the original skull switch, people would complain, if I left the skull as is, people would complain, I put in a newer one, that looks a bit closer to the original, people complain.

The pack is not perfect, but i'm trying to get it as close as possible, compare the current with the older versions.
    This takes time(A long long time. I have been working on it for over 8 years now)

r7GSVho.png
    yes I could have elongated the for head, and tweaked the colours more, but have been waiting on your skull.

[edit]

here is a version with a elongated head
    6CW9KVn.png
  • I have to admit that I prefer Reinchards skull too :|
  • VN7DPPz.png

mVGY4r1.png

Here's latest version. I fixed few things. About frame - I think that kind of metal best fit to original art. About glowing eyeholes - I think simple dynamic lights from Doomsday Engine never look as natural as it, but it should not interfere if the lights are pointed on texture that have light drawn on it already. Anyway - thanks for opinion and tips.
  • I think simple dynamic lights from Doomsday Engine never look as natural as it
    ...and please dont forget that not everyone uses doomsday.