DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• @Gary, well for heavens sake, I'll always try to find a way to allow for what ever is going on in game and think about what limitations there needs to be to allow more breathing room, something to take in mind.. what if there are several animations doing the same thing and several other models etc doing random animations + particle and lighting effects. As Danij said, the author needs to find a fine line between performance and fidelity. ~ and that is certainly the best way to put it.
    Everything else needs to be thought of as well. All authors, (especially working with several animation frames etc) should put some thought into it befor finalizing such effects! It is just how it is.. this reasoning will even go with the newest games, (even Doom4. ~ if not, there (will be) performance issues..) It is really a rule of any sort of animation development that authors of such need to know. If not, as said, there could be performance issues. In this case, we want to keep the "could be" out of the rule. And decide (in most cases, by testing) what works best..
    If not, that 1MB could quickly turn in to a couple of GiB, and that wouldn't be a good idea heh.
    :)

@Gordon, did you take the ...etc... out in the script and add the extra stages in their place?
  • yes i did but as long at it has 3 stats it's fine but still shows the default doom frames but if i have it like Dani has it then dday crashes with no error.
  • Quick couple of questions:
    I'm guessing you're running the newest DE build?
    Also are you running any other addons aside from currently testing your hi-res flat animation?
  • yes and i could disable them but from what the dday out tells me there not the issue when dday crash's it make no lines about the flat animations from what i can see but i will give it another go with no addons and see but i know it's going to crash.

Edit: it crashed like i knew it would
  • edited 2014 Jul 23
    And you have all these extra 12 frame "images" in location?
    Besides the original frame names? eg: NUKAGE1,NUKAGE2,NUKAGE3, and NUKAGE4.

As far as I can tell, each stage expects 3 extra "new" frame images. ~ besides the originals.
    I may be wrong about this but I'm thinking there needs to be 16 images total for this counting the originals.
  • i am trsting on the blood flat and it originally had 3 frames like the nukage but everything i try fails or crash's dday but i will get it i think.
  • It's been a while, but I'm thinking they might need to be labeled as "FLAT" also, or at least start with an F_?
    I'm looking into it now.
  • nope that was doped a wile ago. i get the base 3 showing up witch in my animation sequence is 1,5,9. the custom gfx i am using are just numbers for easy testing.
  • Hah, that's what I was doing as well.. 16 images with only numbers in the texture image. :P
    ~ writing script now..
  • great minds think alike.

Edit: here is what my cobbled together ded looks like.
    Texture Environment {
      ID = "Cloth";
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD1"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD1A"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD1B"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD1C"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD2"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD2A"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD2B"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD2C"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD3"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD3A"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD3B"; };
      Material { ID = "flats:BLOOD3C"; };
    }

Group {
      Flags = smooth
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD1" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD1A" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD1B" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD1C" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD2" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD2A" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD2B" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD2C" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD3" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD3A" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD3B" Tics = 4 }
      Flat { ID = "BLOOD3C" Tics = 4 } 
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD1" {
      Layer {
          Stage { Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD1A" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD1B" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD1C" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD2" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD2A" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD2B" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD2C" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD3" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD3A" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD3B" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

Material Mods "flats:BLOOD3C" {
      Layer {
      }
    }

• It's probably crashing due to a DED management bug in the current unstable build that has only just been fixed. In this case you are trying to modify a nonexistent material.

You are attempting to use both group animation and material animation at the same time, with insufficient frames in the material to boot. Use one or the other. Also, you appear to be trying to define some entirely new materials rather than modifying the existing ones. Take another look at the example I posted.
  • i did but even with only using 3 stats instead of 4 it only showed the original 3 frames and if i did 4 it crashed. it was if the texture = line was not being red but every thing else was. that code was my cobbled together mess to try and get it to work and it fails. LOL
  • In the example I posted there are only three materials, which are modified versions of the originals. Yours has several unknown materials which you've named after the frames you are trying to add. (As those are new materials, there is no original and so the Mods directive can't be used).
  • that is not the problem i know mine dose not work with your example however if i use it who cloth dday crashes but if i remove one of the stats from each of the materials dday works but only shows the 3 frames already defined and skips the rest. with only 1 gone per frame it would look like this
    Material Mods "flats:NUKAGE1" {
          Layer {
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE1";  Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE1A"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE1B"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
          }
        }

Material Mods "flats:NUKAGE2" {
          Layer {
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE2";  Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE2A"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE2B"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
          }
        }

Material Mods "flats:NUKAGE3" {
          Layer {
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE3";  Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE3A"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
              Stage { Texture = "flats:NUKAGE3B"; Tics = 3; Glow = .5;  Glow Rnd = .5; }
          }
        }

now in theory it should be showing 9 frames of animation but it dose not. if your using a numbered replacement test texture from 1-12 with one less state it should in game look like this 1,2,3 5,6,7 9,10,11 but instead we only get 1,5,9. now going with the wiki article on this would more stats be considered an extra layers? i think that should not be the case as only 1 layer was defined.
  • I figured it would be quicker to build you a working example. I've tried to make as few changes as necessary to get a single animation set working (the NUKAGE* set of materials). :)

Multiple material layers is a feature we plan to implement at some point in the future and so the definition format has been designed with that extension in mind. Presently only a single layer per material is supported.
  • of course when you use the liquids.wad it's going to work every time and i was trying not to use it when you have the liquids.wad you don't even need a ded just the -pwadtex and it works thats the problem right there. i do not want to include something that is old and unneeded but if it's needed then i half to build the new update with that in mind.

Edit: you still need the ded to make it work but why should you need to use a wad as well to define more frames?
  • Gordon wrote:
    of course when you use the liquids.wad it's going to work every time
    No, that isn't what is going on here. I modified that wad and removed the bookend flats and therefore, it won't work automatically without the material definitions.

The fact that these now use a material based approach fundamentally changes the internal representation of those animations. I.e., rather than adding new materials (which is what happens when you use the id Tech 1 based method), you are instead adding new "frames" to the existing materials. So, rather than there now being 12 materials in total for the NUKAGE* set, there is still only 3 of them.

As mentioned I deliberately avoided changing anything that wasn't necessary in the hope that is clear what actually needed to be changed. There are certainly further improvements that can be made.

Material definitions can't be used to define flats. A material definition can only reference existing ones. Defining the new flats is the role liquids.wad is now serving, with regard to the NUKAGE* animations. Presently the only way to do that is to place the new flats (perhaps mere place holders) between F_START and F_END markers. I've not tried it but it should be possible to use a Lump Assembly for the same purpose, eliminating the need for the .wad file.
  • well then i will half to test this out as this look promising. tho it might take me time but if it dose work then we now know what we need to do for the future.
  • Hey,

That pretty much explains animated flats and how to manage them afaict.. At the current time on the side of using a material script for effect than using frame by frame the oldie way.. But the new in development version will end up as a smoother animation as far as I can tell? ~ wondering if there will ever be a type of ZDoom "texture warp" at some point for DE? I'm sure this has probably been asked before though?

Back to texture creation..
    How are those liquid flats looking KuriKai, specifically the lava?
    Did you try out the bubble idea?
    The vision I had was sort of a lava lamp sort of bubble heh, but probably more like jello with small bubbles in it, or maybe an impression of glass? in some cases there's a couple small bubbles froze in its casting?
    ~ It's just an idea and I can imagine it probably wouldn't be visible enough to take time to do it, as it's an animation and may end up looking somewhat repetitive as well. But curious enough to wave the idea your way. :)

Your thoughts?
    Cheers
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Hey,
    How are those liquid flats looking KuriKai, specifically the lava?
    Did you try out the bubble idea?
    The vision I had was sort of a lava lamp sort of bubble heh, but probably more like jello with small bubbles in it, or maybe an impression of glass? in some cases there's a couple small bubbles froze in its casting?
    ~ It's just an idea and I can imagine it probably wouldn't be visible enough to take time to do it, as it's an animation and may end up looking somewhat repetitive as well. But curious enough to wave the idea your way. :)

Your thoughts?
    Cheers
    textures are simmilar to what i posted last time, thinking/trying to get the bubble kind of texture in it but not happy with anything i have come up with, might have to leave it out
  • Hi,

I haven't looked over all 66 pages of this thread but I did look for placeholders and ####s in the Github page and didn't find any so apologies if this has already been pointed out, but I found some textures that could use some retexturing:

https://i.imgur.com/bfd3Q9V.png

https://i.imgur.com/0yvsd42.png

https://i.imgur.com/H4mbSr5.png

Thank you!
  • looks like this thread has died down quite a bit, as I suspected would happen, but it is good that someone made a post that was relevant to the project, such as a suggestion on improving the textures. And yes, some textures should be redone, but hopefully all the original textures will get prioritized and finished first, such as the ones you posted. They should focus on finishing all the ones that have never been touched before redoing the already existing hi-res ones.
  • The hanging bodies are probably among the most difficult to make look good in higher resolution and not also flat.

The art style/appearance of the bodies is probably also going to get a lot of scrutiny, because there are similar sprites (i.e the hanging Barron can't look very different to the classic sprite).
  • Maybe normal maps will change that, or maybe it can be modeled someday.
  • Hi,

I haven't looked over all 66 pages of this thread but I did look for placeholders and ####s in the Github page and didn't find any so apologies if this has already been pointed out, but I found some textures that could use some retexturing:

https://i.imgur.com/bfd3Q9V.png

https://i.imgur.com/0yvsd42.png

Thank you!
    thanks.

Anyone know the name of this texture?
  • Looks like a custom texture made out of some patches of the original computer textures?

Another example of why the ability to have external replacements for individual patches, rather than just the completed textures would be cool.
  • Hello,

Just a couple of other textures:

https://i.imgur.com/RXOiHW1.png

https://i.imgur.com/7eWtmut.png

https://i.imgur.com/7zLsuGw.png

https://i.imgur.com/F2fJ6bl.png

https://i.imgur.com/gWbmvox.png

https://i.imgur.com/xHJcGVQ.png

Yeah, I should also mention I'm playing this on a custom map-pack, Hellbound.wad, so there might be some custom textures thrown in there.
  • I recall that bloody bone wall texture in your first link (appears in canon only in the Suburbs map in Doom 2, I think) was somewhat touched on before but I guess it was removed. Oh, and I can tell that the bone texture in the first link and the last link are actually the same texture. The last one is just being blocked mostly by the surrounding wall. In fact, I analyzed it and I can see that they just used parts of the top part of the main texture so it appears the way it does in the last link, and where the wall bends slightly, some other segment of the same texture is placed, probably tiled but blocked. BTW, it was improved, but only a little.

Also for the lion door, a version has been released recently earlier in this thread as a part of the addon 'mr_iconic_texture.box'. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=875&start=560#p11918
  • Yeah, I realize that the first link and last link are the same bloody-skull texture, but you mentioned what I wanted to show on that last one: the wall. Notice how the vertical grey tiles are pixelated but the horizontal ones are finer?
  • oh yeah, I see it now.