XARP - Hexen Authentic Resource Pack (jXCCP maintained)

edited 2017 Sep 11 in Addons for Hexen
Hexen Authentic Resource Pack
XARP_logo.png

The XARP is based on veirdo's "Sapphire wand" pack and built to achieve authentic Hexen look.
Consists of the official jHexen Modelpack enhanced with contributions from the jHexen community
and additional content by Cain and deus-ex..

Thanks to all contributors and the community for providing
resources and valuable feedback throughout the years.

* All models/effecs are separated and switchable
* All cleaned up and error free
* High Quality Sound Pack included

Current version 0.13
Download link

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
Unzip the xarp_013.box folder in your \Doomsday\Snowberry\Addons

This pack works only on Doomsday Engine 1.12 build 944 or later.

Changelog:

XARP 0.12 => XARP 0.13 @ February 2016
Books03.png replaced with correct image with "K" "R" "X" letters;
Gardoyle.dmd missing skin #1 fix;
Gardoyle_Skull.dmd missing skin #1 fix;
Ettin.dmd missing skin #1 fix;

XARP 0.1 => XARP 0.12 @ March 2015
Replaced Textures:
d_winnow.png;
gate02.png;
gate03.png;
gate04.png;
gate51.png;
gate52.png;
gate53.png;
Brass1.png;
Brass3.png;
Brass4.png;
D_Brass1.png;
D_Brass2.png;
D_EndBr.png;
D_EndSlv.png;
D_Slv1.png;
D_Slv2.png;
Forest01.png;

jXCCP 1.31 => XARP 0.1 @ August 2014
New Walltorch model.
New Twined Torch model.
New HUD Spiked Gauntlets Model and punch FX.
New Flame mask item model and interface icon.
New Flechette model, interface icon and effects for all three classes.
New Quartz Flask interface icon
New frozen skins for actors: Ettin, Chaos Serpent, Centaur, Bishop and Pig
Say goodbye to all old particle textures as they have been replaced
by "Sapphire wand" pack ones for compatibility reasons.
All particle effects have been updated and optimized.

Dropped models and effects:
HUD Bloodscourge by Cain
HUD Frostshards by Cain
HUD Wand by Jaquboss
HUD ArcOfDeath by Jaquboss
HUD Spiked Gauntlets by Cain
Item Chaos Devise by Raven
Item Quartz Flask by Raven
Item Flechette by Cain
Item Frostshards by Jaquboss
Item Torch by Raven
Item Mystic Urn by Raven
Item Crystal Vial by Raven
Item Wings of Wrath by Slyrr
FX Afrit missile by Deus-ex
FX Bloodscourge by Cain and Deus-ex
FX Frostshards by Deus-ex
Actor Afrit by ChipAlert
Actor Ettin from XRP 2004

1.31 @ October 2013
Blue, Green and Combined mana models by Raven replaced by veirdo's models.
New Arc Of Death World Weapon model.
Some tweaks for the FrostShards World Weapon model.
New correct masks for the brass doors by PostFatal.

1.30 @ August 2013
Repack of all Hexen resources.

Comments

• Impressive.

I personally might have separated the GUI pack into a few sub packs (font, hud and everything else), but otherwise the set is all great.

You missed a generator for the Porkelator explosion though :p

I will say that you probably shouldn't have used the 'J' prefix; that implies it's a pack maintained by Deng team, rather than a community maintained pack. Also, as of 1.9.10, the 'J' prefix was officially dropped by Deng team and replaced with 'Lib' (i.e 'LibHeXen').
  • Very nice work veirdo.
    Vermil wrote:
    I will say that you probably shouldn't have used the 'J' prefix; that implies it's a pack maintained by Deng team, rather than a community maintained pack.
    I agree, this would be more appropriately called "XCCP".
  • edited 2013 Aug 7
    I'm doing somehting wrong cause doomsday build 949 doesn't even start with the box addon in \Doomsday\Snowberry\Addons Folder.

If I try adding via snowberry it says
    Addon Installation Error
    Installation of addon C:\Users\0815Jack\Downloads\jxccp_1_30.box failed. 
    Reason:
    [Error 267] Der Verzeichnisname ist ungültig: 'C:\\Users\\0815Jack\\Documents\\Doomsday Frontend\\addons\\jxccp_1_30.box/*.*'

folder name not valid... any idea?

EDIT: I am using Windows 7 64 bit with an Nvidia video card and an Intel CPU.
  • I too get the same Windows error message, indeed after this error when I tried to run Doomsday at all I would get this same Windows error message. This includes trying to load an older version of Doomsday from Windows I would get this error. I had to go in and add ".zip" back to the jXCCP file name just to be able to get back into the Doomsday engine. However, I found that it had successfully loaded the earlier version of Doomsday in the background with the above error message displayed on the screen.

So I don't think your are going something wrong, if you are then I guess both of us have problems.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit with an Nvidia video card and an Intel CPU.
  • It sounds to me like you are downloading the file, putting it in your addons folder and then removing the '.zip' extension from the jxccp_1_30.box.zip file name? This is not correct.

When you have that file in your addons folder, right-click and choose "Extract All". When done, delete the original zipped version.
  • That was the problem, thanks Danij!

I guess this was a real zip file unlike most of the other "pk3.zip" files I have used.
  • An aside: Indeed, its a mess really. A pointless extension change masking the fact its a Zip and then a community convention that counteracts it with a stupid .pk3.zip naming convention. It doesn't help anyone and actually confuses people unnecessarily. Obviously there is a historical legacy behind how we ended up here but there is no reason for mod authors to keep on doing that.
  • edited 2013 Aug 7
    yeah now I understand how the box Format works.... thx for the help

thx vierdo for the making this pack :)
  • skyjake wrote:
    I agree, this would be more appropriately called "XCCP".
    Oh no! Not again changing over 150 "info" files :|
    I think we can live sometime with "j" burden till next release. Then again if someone searching for addon for Doomsday he (or she) types "j(Game)" and it's work.
  • funny you should mention info files. I couldn't get any of them to open until I added a .txt onto them.
  • Indeed, it's a pain for Windows users at least, that Info files lack an extension.

Without an extension Windows users can't set a default program (for instance notepad), to open them.
  • veirdo wrote:
    Oh no! Not again changing over 150 "info" files
    If you're using Windows then a free utility like Notepad++ can search and replace files in a folder (and sub-folders) if that helps.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
  • The last generator in rainmap01 is missing "Copy" so it doesn't work. I haven't tested other maps yet. Something else that everyone has so far overlooked, the porch and also the room that the emerald key unlocks both have openings in the ceiling. I'll try making small generators for those two places with a few particles to see how fps is affected. Not a big thing, just something I've noticed. Nice job overall though. I removed the work I was doing on the rain after I saw how much better this rain performs, I couldn't match it. :)
  • nice, thanx for this veirdo! i really liked the XCCP someone posted here not so long ago but i like to have options and not be forced to use everything or nothing, and like be able to pick which models from which person to use :)

so thanx for taking the effort to take everything out there and put it all together into a nice box with options to pick which models to use and which not and such :D
  • PostFatal wrote:
    The last generator in rainmap01 is missing "Copy" so it doesn't work.
    Thank you for noticing that, PostFatal. The fix already uploaded. :)
    If you're using Windows then a free utility like Notepad++ can search and replace files in a folder (and sub-folders) if that helps.
    I always use NP++ for plain text editing, but the problem is what each info file is in it's own pk3(zip).
  • Something else I've found. In 7 portals, the masks for the brass doors don't match up. I checked them out in the pk3 and it looks like they were made for the original doors and we are using different ones. I made some new masks (first time) and they look good in my game. Feel free to use them or not.
    D_Brass1_zpsc77a58df.png D_Brass2_zps27678a16.png Brass3_zpsb56ba922.png Brass4_zps3c2e334a.png
    I also darkened up the door textures for the 6 smaller portal doors a bit and it looks much better now and seems to match the big 7th portal doors closer than it did. but it may just be my monitor so I won't post those.
  • May I suggest a changelog be posted in the original post, if possible? Is there one in the pack it'self?
  • Vermil wrote:
    May I suggest a changelog be posted in the original post, if possible? Is there one in the pack it'self?
    I can post change log in the original post, but there are no changes yet :)
    There are only credits to the authors in the pack itself.
    PostFatal wrote:
    I made some new masks (first time) and they look good in my game.
    Well done! I'll include it to the next version of the pack.
  • I'm flattered by the credit, but I never made an Afrit model. If I had to guess who would make one, it would be Cheapalert.

Nice to see someone taking an interest in the pack though :)
  • Chiv wrote:
    I'm flattered by the credit, but I never made an Afrit model. If I had to guess who would make one, it would be Cheapalert.
    Hi, Chiv! Thank you for that correction. ;)
  • The time is came to update the jXCCP, but now it's not be an ordinary update. All resources will be converted from community_pack-centric to veirdo's_pack-centric. That'll give us two benefits: the both packs will be compatible and I do not have to convert the data to support that pack.
    Most of the work will affect the particle systems. All particles should use my textures. I'll pick the most appropriate of the available for each effect or will build a new.

That's a heavy task and may take a couple of months, but it's worth it.
  • will this be boxed? I only ask because there are some things that I may not like. I play Hexen as a fighter and with your upgrade, I notice that hitting an ettin with timon's axe gives me a very flat looking white cloud that looks much like a sprite. I don't mean to degrade your work, for the most part it is outstanding. I am just picky about some little things. I much prefer psychickons vial and flask even though I can't let them bounce.
    please don't make this a veirdo only upgrade. it should be community driven.
  • Yes, it'll be boxed and community driven. But I can't modify a Psychikon's stuff because a licence reasons. So it'll be dropped out. Sorry.
  • What licence do you plan to use veirdo?
  • veirdo wrote:
    Yes, it'll be boxed and community driven. But I can't modify a Psychikon's stuff because a licence reasons. So it'll be dropped out. Sorry.
    Are you saying that all of Psychikon's models will be dropped from the pack? What would need modifying other than the bubbles in flask and vial? Does anyone know how to reach him?
  • I like the idea of reorganizing the pack Veirdo, but I think you should really try contacting Psychikon and work something out before his stuff is dropped....
  • PostFatal wrote:
    I notice that hitting an ettin with timon's axe gives me a very flat looking white cloud that looks much like a sprite.
    That's one of the reasons to create a new pack. People trying to combine addons and suffer from a broken visuals. I always said the packs are incompatible and uses different set of particles.
    KuriKai wrote:
    What licence do you plan to use veirdo?
    Nothing special beyond "free for non-commercial use".
    PostFatal wrote:
    Are you saying that all of Psychikon's models will be dropped from the pack?
    Not all, only that used particles.
    0815Jack wrote:
    I think you should really try contacting Psychikon and work something out before his stuff is dropped....
    I sent him a PM
  • @Verdio
    Regarding psy's stuff. If the conflict is over particle textures, can't you just renumber yours or his particle textures?

Dday 1.11.1 upped the number of particle textures supported to 300.

http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... ion_1.11.1
  • The only psychikon models I have a problem with is the vial and flask can't bob. I like that they spin and the look of the bubbles give it a more realistic looking liquid. If only the bubble generators would stay with the model while bobbing then they would be perfect. The new ones look too much like the sprite especially since the don't spin. Trying to make models that look just like the sprites just seems to me to make D-Day improvements rather moot.
    I think the sprites should just be a starting point and model artists should make their models close but not so close that they look like just a better sprite.
    The punching arm is a good example, I had to open up the models folder to convince myself it was indeed a model. The flatness look of it kind of robs it of depth as it punches but it happens so fast I suppose that can be overlooked. Please know I am not trying to disrespect the work, I think it's amazing just too sprite looking.
  • Vermil wrote:
    can't you just renumber yours or his particle textures?
    I'm trying to avoid using old particles pack but I can do an exception for the Psychikon's models and effects. I can hold his textures in the end of the list (e.g. 300...299 etc.) Even so I need to modify his .ded files. I can't do that without his permission.
    PostFatal wrote:
    Trying to make models that look just like the sprites just seems to me to make D-Day improvements rather moot.
    That's your vision. You just have not to use my models. I'm a Hexen style keeper.