DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• Right. And I forgot - sky texture is not mine.
  • Bono_PL: Chilvinces, and myself are under the gpl2
    Others you will have to ask for

Reinchard: Have you thought about adding shinemaps to your textures? also is it ok If I put some of your textures in the next release (christmas)
  • Of course, I would be honored if some of my work will be in the dhtp. About shinemaps - I don't know how to make them, so maybe someone more advenced in Doomsday Engine can do it.
  • Reinchard: do you have an instant messaging account? if so pm me it so we can chat easier and we can discusses textures and shine maps
  • Reinchard wrote:
    Hi! From the last couple of months I'm work on some textures and flats for Doom. I decide to upload first demo of my work. This file contain all textures and flats for E1M1 Hangar and few textures from other E1 levels. There are some textures that I don't show on this forum and there is some placeholders and unfinished ones (I don't have much time for now, so I decide to share this in that form). Play with it and give me some constructive criticism.

E1M1 textures pack demo:
    http://www.filedropper.com/rtextures

Just unzip the textures and flats folders to your JDoom or GZDoom directory.
    This link no longer works. It subtracts the /rtextures part of the link and takes me directly to the filedropper.com upload bar. Can you upload this to a different location?
  • Thanks for the link! I really like some of the new textures - especially the Nuke/Slime textures. The doors are really nice, and floor6_2 is a huge improvement over the old one.

I do have a few suggestions, though.

-I think the cracks are too visible in Brown1. This makes it so the texture only fits in a few scenarios. The original Doom textures were so low-resolution that they could be used pretty much anywhere. For example, the same wall texture could be used as a tech base texture, or an old factory texture. Your version of Brown1 only seems to fit in an old factory setting, since the cracks make it appear old. I think it needs to be a compromise between high-tech and factory. The Startan textures you did are a better example of textures that can be used in any theme.

-The slime is too bright green in Stone3, I think. It needs to blend better with the texture and be a darker green.

-Step1 looks odd. I think the detail needs to be sharper on it. Currently, the whole step looks like it is made out of glass. I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done, but I think it needs some reworking.

-ExitDoor is high quality, but I think it doesn't fit with the rest of the textures. It looks too glossy - almost as if it belongs in Doom3. I think it needs to have more of a matte look, with sharper edges.

-Step6, similar to Brown1, has cracks that are too visible. It needs to have a more neutral look that can blend in any situation. The original Doom Step6 does have visible cracks - but with the low-resultion, it can be applied in any theme. In high-res, I think the cracks need to blend more, so the texture is more versatile.

-The edges in flat18 are too visible. They need to blend a little better with the texture.

The whole Startan series looks awesome, btw. So does step1, step2, and support2. Great job on those textures! I can't wait to see more of your work. :)

Edit: Now that I'm playing with these textures, I'm starting to notice that some of them don't match. For example, Stargr1 and Stargr2 have different types of detail, so they don't blend in together like they should. Stargr1 has scratch marks, and Stargr2 has speckled dots for detail, so they don't look the same next to each other. Startan1 and Startan2 have the same issue, and I imagine there might be more such textures with these problems. The seams also don't match up perfectly, so you can tell where one Startan texture begins and the other ends.
  • Hey Guys, here is a test build of the next dhtp. I have shaved 100megs off the pack size, while having larger textures and also without any lose of quality(i hope)

The dhtp for deng is using the new deng shortcut file structure. Therefore You can only use this test pack with recent versions of doomsday I suggest upgradding to the most recent stable build released

If you notice the quality of some textures are bad. Please tell me so I can fix it before the release of the next pack (christmas day)

You can download it here

http://freelanzer.com/dengaddons/deng-dhtp-20121222.pk3
  • Hey KuriKai, I'm afraid the loss in quality is extremely visible in every texture. I would go as far as to say they now look like 256 color Doom quality, but larger size! There is obvious pixelation and color loss in every texture. Was the wrong pack uploaded? Or perhaps you are testing to see if anyone actually downloads this? Haha.

The Christmas release should be the original quality, for sure.
  • I agree, this textures look terrible.
    Edit:
    I know you don't like my switch textures, but in some cases using the old ones next to my textures like stone2 for example look weird. Maybe you sould use my versions (just play e1m1 or e1m2 to see what I'm talking about).
  • Reinchard wrote:
    I agree, this textures look terrible.
    Edit:
    I know you don't like my switch textures, but in some cases using the old ones next to my textures like stone2 for example look weird. Maybe you sould use my versions (just play e1m1 or e1m2 to see what I'm talking about).
    Hey Reinchard, did you read my suggestions for your textures? I hope you didn't think I was saying your textures were bad when I made them. I'm just one of those people who always thinks there is room for improvement, so I was just trying to be helpful. :)
  • Yes, sorry I just forgot to answer. I take your suggestions under attention.
  • @KuriKai: You should find a better way to convert the images to 256 colors!
    @Reinchard: Nice to see you here! I know your texture remakes from the doomworld forum.
    @Tea Monster: The title screen is part of the GUI pack not the texture pack. ;)
  • Sorry about the no release guys, I expected that test pack to actually be good, and dind't have a backup for it not being good. I also went away for the holidays, therefore was unable to upload a fixed pack. Will be working on it and have it ready for new years
  • New Version has been release.

Get it from here
    http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/
  • Nice! But thgere ist still something very wrong with every star* textures I made. Look at them.
  • I haven't grabbed it yet, but if there is a problem with certain textures like people are saying above, I'm guessing that the new releases of Doomsday somehow created incompatibilities with texture packs? I don't recall anyone ever mentioning problems with texture packs until now, and this is the only texture pack that has been released since the team enhanced the engine from 1.9.6 all the way to 1.9.10 (likely some huge changes have been made).
  • I beleive the problem is me forgetting to remove shinemaps from the star* textures, that will be fixed in th next rleease(not a year away)
  • I want to say thx for the huge effort which is done here, but the lastest release of the DHTP raises some questions:

1) Why are so many textures converted to 8/4 bit color depth?
    2) Why is it necessary to reduce the pack size? I mean: Quality should be preferred over size!
    3) What about using a SVN-Repository for the DHTP like they did for duke3d-hrp?
  • 4) Why not keep adding more and more detail and even normal maps since size and processing power is less and less of an issue as hardware gets better and better. These days, size isn't really an issue, and it shouldn't be for hosting either since we are moving into the age of cloud networking and fiber optic is standard. Also size shouldn't be a problem assuming you don't keep a bunch of long or hi res videos saved on your computer. I wonder if the engine is close to being able to use normal maps and truly hi-poly models. If not yet, I'm sure soon it will be. Right? ;)
  • All the advanced features are coming, so I'd start now on normal and spec maps.

But before you actually start, I would check with one of the devs to see exactly how these are going to be implemented. I've heard rumours of one feature which may affect how textures are created for Doomsday.

'Next gen' textures are created in a completely different fashion to good ol' flat walls. Often, the best way of doing it is to make an actual 3D model of the wall, and render that with appropriate lighting to get your 'flat' texture. Once that is done, you 'bake' off your various normal and specular maps.

Monoxead has done a great texture tutorial (on the right hand side in 3 parts) which shows you how to do it the way that God and Carmack intended :D.
    http://doom3-hr.com/Main_Eng.html

Again though, check with the devs, as sometimes the types and how the maps are stored can vary from engine to engine. You don't want to make 30 or so textures and then find that you have to remake all your gloss maps because they are compiled in with your spec maps or something similar.
  • Any idea why the new ZDOOM textures crash a mod like “Alien Vendetta”? I am using the Zandronum engine and the last pack worked fine no problems. It only crashes when i go to actually LOAD a map, however the game does start up.
    This problem also happens when i try to play Plutonia. If i go back to the last version of the pack i have no problems. I'm using the Zandronum engine WinXP SP3. I've attached my crashreport.
  • never used any of those doom engines sorry.
  • The Zandronum engine is based on the GZDoom engine and claims to be fully compatible with all its MODs. I will try the aforementioned WADS with that engine and see if i get the same results.
  • I'm not sure you'll get much help from the members here as this forum is specifically related to the Doomsday Engine.
  • Oh i'm VERY sorry! i didnt realize that! Would anyone happen to know where i can submit bugs for this texture pack for OTHER engines?
  • You should probably try it with zdoom. If it crashes, ask on ZDoom forums; else on GZDoom forums.
  • Skrell wrote:
    Oh i'm VERY sorry! i didnt realize that! Would anyone happen to know where i can submit bugs for this texture pack for OTHER engines?
    And an attitude like that is even less likely to get you any help.
  • Skrell wrote:
    Oh i'm VERY sorry! i didnt realize that! Would anyone happen to know where i can submit bugs for this texture pack for OTHER engines?
    And an attitude like that is even less likely to get you any help.
    The question might be sincere, although the caps did make it look sarcastic. If it was sincere, then the caps were kind of out of place. :P