DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

Comments

• edited 2018 Dec 7
    KuriKai wrote: »
    ok, thanks

will fix the issues and make the spectre a bit more visible.

the barrel shouldn't actually be ion the pack yet, lol
    Actually none of the reported issues have been addressed, despite removing the barrel model from the package.

The animation of the Spider Mastermind's legs looks really good, way better than the sprite. But the Spider Mastemind appears to squint, the pupils are too close to the center which destroys the immersion for me, because the Spider Mastermind appears to make a funny face or has gone plain mental.

avn8zgf9rd91.jpg
    The sizing of the model, especially its height, appears not quite right yet.
  • I agree with deus ex that the eyes look like they are looking in an odd direction and that the over all model looks a bit small.

I also think the super chaingun muzzle flair looks a bit small.
  • @deus-ex
    would you be able to add the bugs to the issue's page on github? it's easier for me to keep track of and remember that way. you can stick those issues you linked in one issue
  • edited 2018 Dec 8
    I have submitted all issues now. While on it I took the liberty to add Vermil's complaints and suggestions regarding the Pinky and SpiderMastermind. I think that's in everybody's interest.

I have to apologize, actually some issues were fixed which I only noticed later on on closer inspection (reflections.pack). To compensate, I found and reported some new issues. ;)

Regarding the rocket.pack, the previously described issue (model too small) has completely changed to the opposite, probably due to the recent changes to the perspective matrix in Doomsday. I added screenshots to the reported issues were appropriate.
  • Thank you for taking the time to make the pack better guys.
  • You are welcome. Thank you and Tea Monster for creating the pack in the first place. :)
  • To echo Tea Monster's comment, thank you for the effort - it's very much appreciated.
  • just a little test of the chaingun in the hud

di4n8jjpjk8l.png
  • We have now released a new version of the doom high-res model pack for The Doomsday Engine

This release has added the:
    Rocket Launcher hud model
    Chaingun hud model
    Chaingun pickup model
    Ammobox model
    We have also fixed a few issues since the last release

Here is a video of the models ingame

Grab it here https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp
    3bgft13jn5ad.png
  • so many nice presents and it's not x-mas :)

Question: HUD model for chaingun / rocket lauchner didn't show up, only the their pickups. I' using rev 2900. Any idea?
  • @0815Jack

Simply because the HUD-models are missing from the pack.

@KuriKai @skyjake

Either you need to limit the usage of tags to ~3 to 4 tags in the DHMP packs, or skyjake needs to adjust the UI logic to compensate for tags bleeding into the UI buttons.

For example trying to select the DHMP Energy cell pack one can accidentally click the 'plasma' tag instead, it happened to me on several attempts.

60yluwdisto2.jpg

reflections.pack:
    I still cannot see any visual difference in DOOM when activating the reflections.pack. Are there any other requirements/dependencies for the reflections.pack to work?
  • edited 2018 Dec 16
    Yep I need to make it handle long tag lists more gracefully.

Although looks like some of the DHMP packs have redundant tags. @KuriKai, if a word is in the package title, it has no benefit to have it also as a tag because both have the same effect when searching. For example, the "DHMP Chaingun" package does not need the "chaingun" tag.
  • @skyjake

"Polly wanna cracker?" Er, I mean, do you want me to raise a bug ticket for the tag issue?
  • Wouldn't hurt to have it in the tracker. :)
  • edited 2018 Dec 16
    ok, hud models were missing from the pack, because of the build script, I have fixed the build script and uploaded 20181217 of the pack and hud models are in it

@skyjake now that the list of models is getting longer, is there a simple way to get it to load all the dhmp packs with one click?
  • @KuriKai thx for the fix
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    now that the list of models is getting longer, is there a simple way to get it to load all the dhmp packs with one click?
    Not via the UI, but you can use package dependencies.

Basically, dependencies allow you to set up one "all-in-one" package that loads everything else via the "requires" dependency. This all-in-one package could be a subpackage under com.hiriwa.dhmp, or it could be a standalone package that just refers to the DHMP packages by their IDs.

For a Snowberry Box style organization, you could have the main package be "com.hiriwa.dhmp.pack", and everything else is subpackages inside it. The metadata of "com.hiriwa.dhmp.pack" itself could then specify the required and optional packages.
  • @KuriKai

reflections.pack:
    I still cannot see any visual difference in DOOM when activating the reflections.pack. Are there any other requirements/dependencies for the reflections.pack to work?
  • @deus-ex

Do you have rend-bloom set to 0? Bloom over-brightens things
    in the console type "rend-bloom 0"

also are you trying it on ep1/2/3 of DOOM? DOOM2 doens't have reflections yet.
    no other requirements are needed.

Different objects have different reflection strengths
  • @KuriKai

I just tried it in Ultimate Doom, no other addons, no extra definitions, changed rend-bloom to 0, still no difference is visible to me. Also tried with hi-res textures to no avail.

Can you post before/after screenshots showcasing the effect? Surely it shouldn't be this hard to notice?
  • edited 2018 Dec 17
    no reflections:
    bv7yi5bbwoho.png

reflections:
    9f16w8yo6cup.png

[edit]
    also the chaingun rotation direction will be fixed in the next release
  • edited 2018 Dec 17
    @KuriKai

So it's supposed to affect HUD models only, not any surface (wall/floor/ceiling)?

Btw, whether 'rend-bloom' is set to "0" or "1" does not affect the overall impression of the reflections that much. Actually I prefer 'rend-bloom 1' with the HUD-Chaingun.

There's nothing wrong with the rotation direction, it spins counter-clockwise just like the sprite does.

hud.chaingun.pack
    The HUD-Chaingun looks f-ing amazing!. But only when used together with the reflections pack.
    • Therefore I recommend to update the hud-chaingun meta-info to declare the reflections.pack either as an requirement (must be loaded) or recommendation (should be loaded).
    • The package tags aren't helpful and precise, currently Doomsday does not get enough information to identify which game it is made for. A weapon is not a power-up, nor is it a item:
      Current tags: powerup item chaingun
      Change to: doom weapon hud

hud.chaingun.pack
    • The HUD-Rocketlauncher textures are to bright, they should be much darker towards black color, like the sprite.
    • The additional fire exiting at the top of the nozzle is a nice idea, yet visually a bit underwhelming. I'd expect the fire to increasingly spread both in width and height during its discharge.
    • Same issues regarding the package tags, Doomsday cannot detect which game it is made for. A weapon is not ammunition:
      Current tags: ammunition rocket launcher weapon hud
      Change to: doom weapon hud

• We have quite a few entries in our pack now. I'm wondering if maybe having a drop-down menu to handle individual objects in a pack would be a good idea.

Currently, you have to go through a long list of 25 items hitting the plus marker to load them.

It would be nice if the DHMP had a single listing in the mod list that you had one check box to load the entire pack. To maintain granularity (people will always be arguing over shotgun models!) there would be a dropdown menu where you could untick/tick individual items in the pack.
  • It would be nice if the DHMP had a single listing in the mod list that you had one check box to load the entire pack. To maintain granularity (people will always be arguing over shotgun models!) there would be a dropdown menu where you could untick/tick individual items in the pack.
    This functionality is already available in Doomsday. If a pack defines the "recommends"/"extras" dependencies, the Options popup will be available for the package and you'll have individual toggles for each of the optional packages.
  • I have never been able to get that to work. would you able to provide a working example?
  • edited 2018 Dec 18
    @skyjake

Doomsday 2 package - info.dei:

If a character string delimited by spaces exceeds the maximum line length of 33 characters, Doomsday shifts down the entry by one line, starting from the beginning of the overlong string and then applies a line break. The 'version' and 'license' entries are affected likewise. Bug #2310

9l7ppgcwojxy.jpg
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    @KuriKai
    There's nothing wrong with the rotation direction, it spins counter-clockwise just like the sprite does.

Are you sure? For me it looks like it would spin clockwise......

• I've updated it to spin clockwise as the model is designed to load the bullets from the left side and ejects it on the right hand side
  • edited 2018 Dec 19
    0815Jack wrote: »
    Are you sure? For me it looks like it would spin clockwise......
    I've recorded videos both of the Chaingun sprites and the model, slowed down to 7 fps, which should help to recognize the spinning direction of the barrels. (EDIT: fooled by the brain the sprites can actually spin both ways)

EDIT: Due to PostFatal 's post I reviewed my video of the Chaingun sprites. I agree that actually your brain makes up whether the sprite rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you watch the video of the chaingun sprites and decide on a spinning direction, you can actually see it.

Chaingun - Sprites (7 fps video/261 KB)
    https://imgur.com/L1NDxTS

Chaingun - DHMP model (7 fps video/400 KB)
    https://imgur.com/fffAije

One can also reduce Doomsday's game ticks to get a similar slow down effect. I have a written a macro which is bound to keyboard function keys, but that's probably too advanced for the average user, so I won't go into details here.

@KuriKai

With the update of the HUD-Chaingun the issues and suggestions I posted here have not been addressed, and my question in that post is yet unanswered.