DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

Comments

• The screenshot looks promising. Does the model include the invisible version of the Demon, the Spectre?
  • I don't if it is the lightning, but the horns and toes seems to have a slight red tint. I would choose a tint that differentiate from the rest of the body. But overall its a great model....very close to the original..... :)

will the spectre also be released?
  • Very nice KuriKai, looking awesome. And thank you.
  • Pinky Demon is released!
  • The "Berserk" pack is still misspelled, same for its textures.
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    The "Berserk" pack is still misspelled, same for its textures.

fixed to say "berserk" will be in the next release

next. onto the spider mastermind
  • edited 2018 Nov 3
    I found a couple issues with the current release of the DHMP pack:

1. Rocket.pack:
    • The rocket model is drawn too small, like the size of a gun projectile.
    2. Barrel.pack:
    • After the Barrel has exploded the model is still visible for a short time.
      (Maybe this is caused by the animation directive which is used to have the model correctly sized, i.e. the animation loop takes too long for the model to be removed in time during the explosion sequence? This is just a guess, though.)
    • The package is missing the file "icon.png".
    3. Pinky-Spectre.pack:
    • The skin of the Spectre is almost completely transparent in game, and thus the model is barely visible.
    4. Reflections.pack:
    • The package is missing several referenced textures:
      "ep1m1-in.jpg"
      "ep1m1-out.jpg"
      "e2m1-out.png"
      "e2m2-out.png"
      "e2m4-out.png"
      "e2m9-out.png"
      "e3m7-out.png"
      "e3m9-in.png"
      "e3m9-out.png"
      "d2_prt1_indoors.png"
      "d2_prt1_outdoors.png"

I couldn't notice any reflection effect in game. Maybe due to the missing textures?
  • ok, thanks

will fix the issues and make the spectre a bit more visible.

the barrel shouldn't actually be ion the pack yet, lol
  • Cool, thank you.

I just checked in GZDOOM and also viewed some online references, actually the Spectre is hardly visible in vanilla DOOM, too. I think Dani J found a good solution with his version of the Spectre skin used in the jDRP, so I like to compare to that version.

@skyjake

I wonder why Doomsday shows the SPRITE of the Spectre as a semi-transparent version of the Pinky? Also when using the jDRP, Dani J's Spectre model sometimes appears as a semi-transparent Pinky instead of using the Spectre textures. After killing such a semi-transparent Pinky the Spectre texture is used again for the dead body. And sometimes the jDRP Spectre model is drawn in both variants at the same time, which of course destroys the immersion.
  • edited 2018 Nov 4
    deus-ex wrote: »
    I wonder why Doomsday shows the SPRITE of the Spectre as a semi-transparent version of the Pinky? Also when using the jDRP, Dani J's Spectre model sometimes appears as a semi-transparent Pinky instead of using the Spectre textures. After killing such a semi-transparent Pinky the Spectre texture is used again for the dead body. And sometimes the jDRP Spectre model is drawn in both variants at the same time, which of course destroys the immersion.
    Sounds like a bug/regression to me. But in any case, now that it has become possible in 2.1, I should add a new shader to emulate the actual vanilla Spectre appearance...

Previously this wasn't possible so a simple translucent version of the sprite was used instead.

EDIT: This bug is likely about the same thing: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2283
  • Latest release of the Candelabra.pack is throwing an error:

v3avbkj2e9j9.png

This can be fixed by changing line 14 of file info.dei from "sequence arm|wait {" to " sequence arm_candlebra|wait {".

And yes, in the file candelabra.fbx the term "Candelabra" is still misspelled as "Candlebra". A bra for candles? :D
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    Latest release of the Candelabra.pack is throwing an error:

v3avbkj2e9j9.png

This can be fixed by changing line 14 of file info.dei from "sequence arm|wait {" to " sequence arm_candlebra|wait {".

And yes, in the file candelabra.fbx the term "Candelabra" is still misspelled as "Candlebra". A bra for candles? :D

thanks.
    pushed the fixes to github. will release a new version with the fixes when the spidermastermind is ready to release
  • The models look absolutely amazing. Will they be compatible with GzDoom? It's the best port now imo, since it now supports PBR materials and surface reflections. Here's a vid of a mod pack showcasing what is possible with GzDoom now if you haven't checked it out yet:

The only issue about the mod pack in the video is that some of the models are a bit lacking, but with yours, it would really bring Doom into the next-gen.
  • The bad news is that our models probably won't work directly with GZDoom. I don't know what formats it uses.

The much better news is that we are releasing our sources, so someone who is familiar with GZDoom should easily be able to compile a pack from our models.

I use Substance Painter for texturing, so I can export a set of PBR textures if required. PBR is coming to Doomsday as well
  • The bad news is that our models probably won't work directly with GZDoom. I don't know what formats it uses.
    https://zdoom.org/wiki/Model_format

• edited 2018 Nov 13
    There is an MD3 exporter for Blender 2.79. MD3 is an old and creaky format, but it should work. Something more modern like FBX or Collada would be preferable to make sure that various effects with normals were supported.

I'll start to export some PBR textures with our packs. Do they use metalness or specular PBR?
  • Is there anyone on the GZDoom forums that would be interested in porting them if we get them the original .blend files and some PBR PNG files?
  • I'm lacking the required knowledge/experience. You should probably post a request over at the GZDoom forum.
  • I don't think that it would work out very well at all using MD3, they would have to implement more model formats using assimp. They would also have to setup/modify GZDoom configs to be able to manipulate the models.
  • I found another interesting thread over at the GZDOOM forums about materials.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=59473&start=30

On page three the lead GZDOOM developer Graf Zahl raises the question if it wouldn't be more productive to implement a modern model format into GZDOOM first. Graf Zahl currently is the only active developer contributing to GZDOOM's development, I understand his question implies that he is not going to do that himself. Whether this is due to his resources being understandably limited, and/or the lack of knowledge on that specific field, I do not know.

Probably a dialog between the developers of Doomsday and GZDoom could help both projects to advance, as each one has assets the other one is lacking. Currently both projects have to rely on just one active developer which understandably limits the possibilities of progress.
  • The guys over at EDuke32 had similar problems. They implemented a snazzy new renderer and had a creaky old model format and it led to all sorts of problems. Modern next-gen workflow requires being able to control the direction of normals on your mesh. Poor old saggy-tits MD3's tools just aren't up to the job. MD2, MDL (shudder)?.

This is just one reason why we said that we'd share assets, but that we aren't going to get into exporting into ancient formats, learning a whole new definition system, testing, etc.
  • Big Question here is why doesn't someone (if the GZDoom model renderer can handle next-gen models.) make a mod for GZDoom that tells it how to translate DDay into GZDoom.
  • edited 2018 Nov 15
    None of them seem to be aware of this pack. Not sure why. We've announced on Doomworld about the pack.

There are multiple threads bemoaning the lack of any new models. They are still using Sitters models after all these years. I've posted in multiple forums and to YouTube. Not sure what is going on there.

On Duke-4.net, the community has gone over to sprites pretty much exclusively. All but one or two people who mod with models have left or become inactive with modding. I don't know if a similar thing happened over there. If that were the case, maybe nobody there knows how to port the models, or even cares.
  • I don't think people are aware of the 3d aspect of there given source port.
  • edited 2018 Nov 17
    The pinky demon looks awesome, but the animation; it looks like it's gliding over the floor, rather than walking; I think partially this is because pinky's upper body seems to be static as it moves; only the legs seem to be moving. Is there is is upper body movements there's clearly to little of it. If it takes a step, that whole side of the body should move with it, shoulder and head included, and the other side should sag a bit.

Further, this movement should coincide with the demons forward movement, and right now, what body movement there is, is either too slow or too fast, it's difficult to tell with how fast pinky is actually walking. Result; it seems to be on lower and upper rails gliding around.

The Spectre though, it's just transparent greyness; the original had a bunch of flecks, and the effect was scary; like it was only partially in this dimension, that the rest was somewhere else. The jDRP pack indeed had a effect that looks like the original; although it seems to be defined for only one resolution, or up to a resolution; in Hires the flecks get too close together and becomes too easy to see. Maybe look at what they did and add it to the new Spectre?

Looked at the GZDoom video; clearly a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should, and just because you can and you will, doesn't mean you have to overdo it like that; like a kid with a toy that doesn't know when to stop.
  • edited 2018 Nov 18
    I think the demon model looks a little big and could be scaled down a bit.

One thing that GZDoom video does is remind me that Deng team may have at one point been thinking about adding liquid splashes to Doom; long ago, there were unused sound definitions for splashes in every type of liquid in Doom. They've been removed since.

From a modding perspective and to be even further off topic, it might be cool if Heretic/HeXens liquid splashes could be defined on a per mobj basis, rather than being hardcoded as they are now; that would allow a user to potentially decide whether they wish to emulate vanilla or not: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/665.
  • We are almost ready for release!
    note it will need build 2892 or newer, or doomsday 2.1 or newer

d1ly24nuqm55.png
  • edited 2018 Dec 5
    Nice. Judging by the hands of the Spider Mastermind in the screenshot, he seems to complain: "Why u shot my legs?"
  • edited 2018 Dec 6
    He's out!
    Requires Doomsday 2.1 unstable build 2892 or newer.

Cheers to Skyjake for the engine fixes!