XARP - Hexen Authentic Resource Pack (jXCCP maintained)

Comments

• veirdo wrote:
    I sent him a PM
    B-)
    PostFatal wrote:
    The new ones look too much like the sprite especially since the don't spin. Trying to make models that look just like the sprites just seems to me to make D-Day improvements rather moot.
    I think the sprites should just be a starting point and model artists should make their models close but not so close that they look like just a better sprite.
    I agree with you with you that sprites are a starting point especially with regard to the low detail and resolution, but the feel and look should be preserved with the new model replacements. I'm not an expert in the technical capabilities of the DD engine, but for me the engine lacks in the moment some features that would the models look more plastic. I think veirdo's approach of creating the models is the right way and the particles effects are showing the advantages of DD. Just my 2 Cents :)
  • so should we expect a new texture pack based exclusively on the original textures? I think that would be a logical step. Many of the textures in the resource pack stray quite a bit from the originals. Flame mask and winnowing hall exterior for example. also the skull/ice walls at guardian of ice are far from original.
  • Personally, I've always considered that respecting the visual style of the original games is equally as important as the accuracy of the gameplay mechanics. I'm perfectly fine with the introduction of newer techniques/technologies in the realization of that. Take veirdo's particle effects on stuff like the Mage weapon projectiles, for example. These have been designed to respect the style of the original game sprites.
  • Thankfully Psychikon grants me a permission to modify his data, I could even try to fix a model bobbing.
    PostFatal wrote:
    so should we expect a new texture pack based exclusively on the original textures?
    Nobody can answer your question since no one is working on Hexen textures right now.

@DaniJ
    For the effects I'm no so strict to the sprites. Original game tech level was a pretty low and the visual effects are very conditional. I'm trying to have all the advantages of the DDay particle system.
  • lol, you guys would hate my guardian of ice. The screenshot doesn't do it justice. I have another plan for this map but need to learn a few things first but you would probably hate it as well even though it would have a wow factor if it works.

hexen-000_zpsbd023b36.png
  • Don't get me wrong, I don't hate that at all because its thematically and visually consistent (though I would personally tone down the shadows a little).

One could certainly make the argument that the textures in the hires Hexen resource pack are fairly consistent as a pack, although, it is already a stylistic departure from the original game.

I'm very happy to see that people are actively working on this stuff and trying to pull things together behind a consistent vision. Its this consistency that I value more than anything. If we get to a point where there are multiple packs with different styles but consistent visuals then that is the ideal situation, in my opinion.
  • I am not an illustrator or texture person at all. I simply find what I like and then work with it as best as I can in gimp using the filters and color adjustment features. I wish I knew more so that it would be more 3d but I don't as yet. I'm not quite sure how you mean tone down the shadows, where would I start? Contrast filter? Gamma? I really don't know what I'm doing. I just fiddle around until I can't do any more. I would really like to make the ice more crystal looking, like the icicle models so that the columns of ice are a bit translucent and a bit reflective so the ice monsters are seen through them but warped and a little reflected, sort of a hall of mirrors but not so much. Maybe even a frozen ettin in one of the columns. Might be a game crasher though, especially on the harder levels with more monsters. But it would be a wow in my opinion. It's all beyond my talents though, but that's the sort of thing I'd like to see people do with doomsday. Experiment, add some wow. Like what you are doing by adding lighting effects that didn't exist. In fact, I am presently playing jshexen2 and loving the lighting effects except that some shine is over done and glows are a bit much. I'm sure that can be adjusted with their console though once I've played with it a bit. It's a cross between quake and hexen which I think adds to the game.
  • Well, the columns of ice in that map are actual map geometry and behind them is nothing but void space. Consequently its not really possible to make them translucent.

I see you've already got some shiny surfaces going on and presently, thats about the best that can be done. I'd focus on improving your shiny texture by adding some specular highlights.

With regard to the shadows, I was mainly referring to the strength of the shadows generated by the engine for ambient occlusion. Clearly its personal preference but to me they seem unnaturally strong in that pic (I'd reduce the strength of these from the Renderer Appearance editor).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I see you've already got some shiny surfaces going on and presently, thats about the best that can be done. I'd focus on improving your shiny texture by adding some specular highlights.

With regard to the shadows, I was mainly referring to the strength of the shadows generated by the engine for ambient occlusion. Clearly its personal preference but to me they seem unnaturally strong in that pic (I'd reduce the strength of these from the Renderer Appearance editor).
    yes I do have the ambient a bit strong and it looks best on maps other than ice. as for the shiny, I haven't a clue. the ice uses the shine maps from the jxccp pack.
    This is the cave wall at winnowing hall, it is the exact same ice texture with some filters, color reversing, and bump mapping. And of course darkening. Probably not everyones cup of tea but it works for me.

hexen-001_zps5cfee932.png
  • Hexen Authentic Resource Pack v 0.1 have been released. See the first message of the topic.
  • Good to see progress on this end and to have a fully working package which contains all of the work. Makes it easier to get it all enabled, or to select whichever features you want.

Is 256x512 the "common" size for hires-textures? I've noticed the glass textures, and I know I still have them on my PC but in 512x1024 resolution, making them look a lot more crisp, cause the version in this texture pack looks a little blurry, due to resizing it to 256x512 I assume.
  • Hi Milten. All the textures are from the official pack from add-ons page. I didn't change any. If you have a higher resolution ones, please send them to me and I'll add them to the further pack.
  • I found a problem with the new wall torch. You start guardian of fire with the torches off then when the lava rises they light. The problem is that when they light they have the glow but no flame.
    Same problem with the twined torch on seven portals that start off unlit. when lit, they have glow with no flame.
  • edited 2014 Aug 27
    That's a known issue with the ACS scripted things and a mobj particles. http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1819
  • Hello,

could you add the door and grates textures located here:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1936&sid=98f07e82ec1f854562a9267089cee143#topic

Thanks.

LGDN
  • I personally don't like these so would need a way to choose if they are used or not. I think the more rustic look suits the game much better. The grate in particular looks way too crisp for metal that supposed to be rusted and pitted and every square has a sort of white outline.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    I personally don't like these so would need a way to choose if they are used or not. I think the more rustic look suits the game much better. The grate in particular looks way too crisp for metal that supposed to be rusted and pitted and every square has a sort of white outline.
    Agree, I like authentic version I posted here too
  • Hello,

could you add the door and grates textures located here:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1936&sid=98f07e82ec1f854562a9267089cee143#topic

Thanks.

LGDN
    I checked current version of xarp and noticed, that some additional textures are missing or low quality

GEAR01 in xarp:

5d87971317ba.png

Better version of GEAR01:

4c75b9165c34.png

GEAR02/3/4/5/A/B are missing in xarp:

0f42eaf8e956.png72c02190c55f.png9b65c1dff5b8.png9f848a9184bb.png26a5841d1bb5.pnge289e45a7e1e.png

Link to all of them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygbyP ... sp=sharing
  • gears have actually been re-made in HD:
    DH6sgBP.png

no idea who made these textures. i think to recall i got them from some old thread at doomworld years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmhhg2idovuhp ... s.rar?dl=0
  • I did not like the new door and grates but since no one seems to know who made them I took it upon myself to try and fix them up a bit with some bumpmapping. They look really good ingame even with the Oculus Rift. Here are the results. Hope the texture police don't come after me.
    D_WINNOW_zps03f5334d.pnggate53_zps78056773.pnggate03_zps30c339be.pnggate51_zps302161d9.pnggate02_zps9b932f80.pnggate52_zps26b255af.pnggate04_zpsab48873b.png
  • looks good, especially like the edit to the door

old one looked to smooth and clean, now its more gritty which fits hexen better :)
  • oh btw i seem to have found where i used to find textures for hexen,
    it was over at a hexen texture thread at newdoom forums
    http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=32607&page=4

all links to textures in the thread are dead by now though :(
    but i still have a bunch more textures i got from there,
    although i seem to have lost a whole bunch of them

i could find that the maker of texture was possibly someone called stealer?
    although in a post where he posted it he says it was an edit of a texture someone else made?
  • I'm more pleased with the grates than the door. Wish I knew how to do textures and not just use filters on other peoples work. I almost didn't post these revamps but since we don't know who made them I went ahead. I'd really like to see new gretes where you first enter seven portals, I think they could really look good with higher res and some bump mapping to gritty them up.
  • Just a quick one.

Been playing with this pack, and everything is awesome.

I notice that there's no HUD for the Fighter's Quietus weapon. Anyone know if one exists, or is it one of the models that never got made?

Strikes me that the Vorpal Sword in Hexen 2 could possibly adapted so as to provide at least a placeholder weapon in the meantime.. unless it's too problematic in terms of copyright?
  • thos silver doors look ugly
  • Could anyone tell me where I can find these silver doors in-game? I'm on a half-way to make new textures for them.
  • D_SLV1 and D_SLV2.

They are used on one door in HeXen and two doors in HeXen DK.

They are used on the polyobj door in front of the Hypostyle portal on Shadow Wood, in HeXen.

In HeXen DK they are used on Badlands for both of the polyobj doors on the north of the map.
  • I updated XARP to v. 0.12
    Some textures have been replaced for ones from this thread

I want to see this pack on the addon's page, since the jXCCP 1.31 is outdated