Trouble with JHeretic resource pack and weapons

edited 2016 Jun 5 in Heretic
Decided to try Doomsday out for the first time today. I own Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders on Steam (as well as the Hexens). I have a problem getting Heretic to work correctly with the jHRP unfortunately.

Everything works fine, except the weapons. Some of them are barely visible at the bottom of the screen (elven rod, firemace, and gauntlets). A couple appear at the far left side (Phoenix Rod and Hellstaff). The melee staff is stuck on the far right side and the other two weapons (Ethereal Crossbow and Dragon Claw) are completely invisible (they still fire though).

I've tried running this in full screen (1920x1080, my monitors native rez) and in various windowed resolutions. I also tried changing the field of view, didn't help. What'd I do wrong?

Comments

• Dday positions hud weapons at slightly different vertical positions depending on the aspect ratio of the resolution (i.e 4:3, 16:10) etc.

I believe this is a known issue that will be addressed at some point.
  • it is and it's cause by the renderer always using a 4:3 aspect ratio
  • It would be nice if someone fixed it. For me the only resolutions that show the full weapons are the ones with a 4:3 ratio, and those are so small on my imac theyre not playable
  • In the meantime, the cvars rend-hud-fov-shift and rend-hud-offset-scale allow you to offset the weapons and bring them into view.
  • In the meantime, the cvars rend-hud-fov-shift and rend-hud-offset-scale allow you to offset the weapons and bring them into view.
    Big thanks! Really good variables:)
  • How would it be to provide for each resolution a default option that use specific parameter for?
  • I have this model for the hellstaff (which I think is from the official addon on the site): http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=ad925584f9, but in the doomsday.out I see that there are some issues with it:
    setupModel: Assigned fallback skin "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\Hellstaff\
                hellstaff.png" to index #0 for model "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\
                Hellstaff\hellstaff.md2".
    ^ : Failed to locate a skin for model "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\Hellstaff\
        flash.md2". This model will be rendered without a skin.

What should I do to fix this warning?
  • rmladenov wrote:
    I have this model for the hellstaff (which I think is from the official addon on the site): http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=ad925584f9, but in the doomsday.out I see that there are some issues with it:
    setupModel: Assigned fallback skin "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\Hellstaff\
                hellstaff.png" to index #0 for model "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\
                Hellstaff\hellstaff.md2".
    ^ : Failed to locate a skin for model "(basedir)\data\jheretic\models\HUD\Hellstaff\
        flash.md2". This model will be rendered without a skin.

What should I do to fix this warning?
    I have the staff model and its fixed... I could just send it to you...

you open the pk3's with winrar look for flash.md2 and then put it in that directory
  • Yet again in the new version the JHRP 3d models for the vial, the wand, staff, quiver of arrows, etc are not showing up and its because of some other addons in the addons folder. They are not even checked but it does not matter you must move them all out of the entire addons folder and only leave the JHRP. It could be a hexen or doom models I do not know, regardless its better to just run one of the 3 games at a time and only have addons for that game in your addon folder unless you want to see the default pixelated models.

I am playing at 1366x768 and with the 1.12.2 version the wand is barely visible its way at bottom of screen and im sure other problems exist I believe 1.10.3 is better at this point

It seems they removed control panel from the options and changed it kind of for the worse... many things that were good about doomsday have been changed kind of unnecessarily for instance the options screen and the messages when loading changed into a cog wheel... why... I liked the messages it reminded me of the original doom...

I am not sure how to tell what version of doomsday i have... there does not seem to be a way that i can tell

I fixed a bunch of things in the JHRP there were some models messed up and especially had to change the enemy projectiles back to their originals most of them are near completely transparent and dont animate in flight. The exception to this is the skeletons axes which are very well done. but when you are playing on nightmare difficulty there is no way you can dodge anything that is 90 percent transparent and not animating for instance the wizards shots, its hard enough when you can see them. had to remove most the horrible new 'maps' they were just ugly grey flat things, the originals are so much better

im not sure that alot of the projectiles even functioned correctly some seemed too fast and others like the lich's whirlwinds did not behave like the originals i dont think

anyways could upload it because it immensely improves the game
  • stavstav2 wrote:
    Yet again in the new version the JHRP 3d models for the vial, the wand, staff, quiver of arrows, etc are not showing up... ...its better to just run one of the 3 games at a time and only have addons for that game in your addon folder unless you want to see the default pixelated models.
    No. It is completely unnecessary to do that. What you are encountering are compatibility issues (and in some cases bugs) with those particular add-ons. It sounds to me that those add-ons have not been designed to work with other add-on packs. There should be no need to do anything like that.
    I am playing at 1366x768 and with the 1.12.2 version the wand is barely visible its way at bottom of screen and im sure other problems exist I believe 1.10.3 is better at this point
    This is a known issue and has been covered numerous times over here at the forums. Simply open the console and adjust 'rend-fov-shift'.
    It seems they removed control panel from the options and changed it kind of for the worse...
    It sounds to me like you simply haven't found the task bar yet. Press the key you used to use to open the console and then click on the buttons in the bottom right. Everything that was possible via the control panel is now done via the task bar UI.
    messages when loading changed into a cog wheel... why... I liked the messages it reminded me of the original doom...
    Displaying a screen full of messages during engine load is both ugly and seriously old-fashioned, so we changed it. At some point we'll add the option to view this info for those that particularly like it, for whatever reason.
    I am not sure how to tell what version of doomsday i have... there does not seem to be a way that i can tell
    There are several ways to determine which version of Doomsday you are running. The version number is immediately visible in the task bar and the About dialog contains version info for your video card, your audio configuration and more. Another way is to simply open the console and enter "version".
  • Moving from 1.8.6 to 1.15.0, discovered next problem with Pillar-Door-ORB model (best model in jHeretic imho) behavior: http://storage2.static.itmages.ru/i/15/ ... 422f6f.png

Veirdo helped me with tiling shinemap for this model:

before

h_1434685870_3284242_8d3c631d4d.png

after

h_1434685878_5434391_d0fd8826eb.png

And result become better, but still not match 1.8.6 behavior: http://storage2.static.itmages.ru/i/15/ ... 05f9b7.png

Does anyone know, how to replicate 1.8.6 behavior of Pillar-Door-ORB model in 1.15 ? Is it a bug in model or in doomsday engine? Which options in doomsday config and/or model.ded should be changed to replicate 1.8.6 shining?

Here is the model pk3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygbyP ... sp=sharing

Thank you in advance
  • Has anyone managed to get a fully functional resource pack to work with build 1.15?
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    In the meantime, the cvars rend-hud-fov-shift and rend-hud-offset-scale allow you to offset the weapons and bring them into view.
    Big thanks! Really good variables:)

Hey this is great news! I don't mind having to do it!

Can you tell me what values to use for these variables?
    And (pardon my newbie-ness) how do you set them? I can get to the DE-UI, taskbar and command line. I'm still reading everything I can find about what to do next! :D Any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated!
  • DaniJ wrote:
    In the meantime, the cvars rend-hud-fov-shift and rend-hud-offset-scale allow you to offset the weapons and bring them into view.

I've been experimenting with these two values... and I can get them to appear for a split second but then they disappear. (this is with build 2.0) I've tried a window with 4:3 aspect ratio with no luck. I don't think the values for the vars is the issue here, but I can't be sure.

I would really like to get a fully functional package working with 2.0 (meaning I volunteer to do some work to get it created and up to par). I'm pretty new to this advanced DE stuff, but I should be able to get going with a little help ;-)

PS: I'm reading/learning about the commands available in the console. I found add and sub to tweak the variables, I'm wondering if I've missed a "set" command to just set it instead of modifying it in increments, or if such a thing doesn't exist. Any advice?
  • I would really like to get a fully functional package working with 2.0 (meaning I volunteer to do some work to get it created and up to par). I'm pretty new to this advanced DE stuff, but I should be able to get going with a little help ;-)
    The old resource packs do need some cleaning up. For instance the jHRP I posted earlier shows some alerts about incorrect flags, etc.
    I'm reading/learning about the commands available in the console. I found add and sub to tweak the variables, I'm wondering if I've missed a "set" command to just set it instead of modifying it in increments, or if such a thing doesn't exist. Any advice?
    Setting the value of a cvar is simple:
    rend-hud-fov-shift 0

I.e., just put the value after the cvar name.
  • edited 2015 Dec 6
    Has anyone managed to get a fully functional resource pack to work with build 1.15?

I have working resource pack for 1.15.6. Should I upload it for you? If yes - should I include this http://theleo-ua.livejournal.com/ music pack to it?

The only problem I have now is incorrect (in comparison to 1.8.6) rendering of keygizmo statue sphere, mentioned above: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1246&start=10#p13676

Also there are some additional potential problems for you with my pack: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1246&p=14354#p14354
    Can you tell me what values to use for these variables?
    And (pardon my newbie-ness) how do you set them? I can get to the DE-UI, taskbar and command line. I'm still reading everything I can find about what to do next! :D Any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated!

Please note, that FOV (rend-camera-fov) should be more than 90. Also please note, that this doesnt work for sprites. In my case I have fov 120 with 1600x1200 screen resolution.

File: "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime\configs\heretic\game.cfg"

Code:

line 828:

# Field of view.
    rend-camera-fov 120.729164

line 890:

# When FOV > 90 player weapon is shifted downward.
    rend-hud-fov-shift 45

# Scaling of player weapon (x,y) offset.
    rend-hud-offset-scale 0.3183
  • skyjake wrote:
    The old resource packs do need some cleaning up. For instance the jHRP I posted earlier shows some alerts about incorrect flags, etc

I already did this for 1.15.x, including import of some xarp models (vial, flask, mystic urn etc). The only problems are:

1) My pack is designed for me only, so there are no any specific models/textures/other things which I dont use

2) I have my own file/folder structure
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    I have working resource pack for 1.15.6. Should I upload it for you? If yes - should I include this http://theleo-ua.livejournal.com/ music pack to it?

That would be awesome! THANKS!!! (music too please!)
    theleo_ua wrote:
    The only problem I have now is incorrect (in comparison to 1.8.6) rendering of keygizmo statue sphere, mentioned above: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1246&start=10#p13676

Also there are some additional potential problems for you with my pack: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1246&p=14354#p14354

No worries, I will try to resolve any outstanding issues and (hopefully) contribute a working pack for 2.0. I am new to DE resource packs though and will be learning as I go!

And THANK YOU for the info about the vars, I will do some testing!
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    Please note, that FOV (rend-camera-fov) should be more than 90. Also please note, that this doesnt work for sprites. In my case I have fov 120 with 1600x1200 screen resolution.

File: "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime\configs\heretic\game.cfg"

Code:

line 828:

# Field of view.
    rend-camera-fov 120.729164

line 890:

# When FOV > 90 player weapon is shifted downward.
    rend-hud-fov-shift 45

# Scaling of player weapon (x,y) offset.
    rend-hud-offset-scale 0.3183

I tried these values with a res of 1680x1050 (the closest match I have to yours) and all I could see was the very top tip of the weapon. I'm just trying to get the weapons to be visible for right now.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Setting the value of a cvar is simple:

DOH! :D Sometimes I miss the most obvious answer!
    Thanks mate!
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    skyjake wrote:
    The old resource packs do need some cleaning up. For instance the jHRP I posted earlier shows some alerts about incorrect flags, etc

I already did this for 1.15.x, including import of some xarp models (vial, flask, mystic urn etc). The only problems are:

1) My pack is designed for me only, so there are no any specific models/textures/other things which I dont use

2) I have my own file/folder structure

Have you tried your pack with the new 2.0?
    Maybe skyjake can say if there are changes in 2.0 that will break compatibility of the resource packs.
    I'm certainly willing to help you if I can, although it sounds like you've already done the hard work!
  • Maybe skyjake can say if there are changes in 2.0 that will break compatibility of the resource packs.
    The goal is to retain full compatibility with the existing resource packs, in PK3 or .addon/.box formats.

However, to take advantage of new features and modern assets like FBX/MD5 models with skeletal animation it will be required to use a new package format.
  • That would be awesome! THANKS!!! (music too please!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygbyP ... sp=sharing

How to use:
    1) Put all *.zip files to your \snowberry\addons folder
    2) Restart Snowberry, select "Heretic", go to "addons" tab
    3) Turn on all necessary packs you want to use, for example like this: http://storage4.static.itmages.ru/i/15/1207/h_1449526551_7370069_c83ec90d95.png

Here is the expalation of each file:

3.1) FX+PARTICLES+COMMON+SHARED___GLOBAL.zip

This one should be turned on if you want to use models and/or textures.
    Also it includes FX, Blood and particle effects, so please turn it on if you want to see such effects.

3.2) MODELS___GLOBAL.zip

All 3D models, except Vial, Flask and Tome of Power

3.3) MODELS__I-TOME_OF_POWER__3D_MODEL.zip
         MODELS__I-TOME_OF_POWER__SPRITE__3D.zip
         MODELS__I-TOME_OF_POWER__SPRITE__FROM_UI.zip

3 different variations of Tome of power. Please use only 1 at a time

3.4) MODELS__I-VIAL+FLASK__WITHOUT_STEAM__ON_TOP.zip

Vial and Flask models (from XARP by Veirdo)

3.5) MUSIC__OGG.zip

OPL Music pack by theleo_ua (see more details here http://theleo-ua.livejournal.com )

3.6) TEXTURES___GLOBAL.zip

All textures (both wall and UI), except Lava

3.7) TEXTURES__LAVA___SPRITES.zip
         TEXTURES__LAVA__AUTHENTIC.zip
         TEXTURES__LAVA__HD.zip
         TEXTURES__LAVA__ULTRA_HD.zip

4 different variations of Lava. Please use only 1 at a time

No worries, I will try to resolve any outstanding issues and (hopefully) contribute a working pack for 2.0. I am new to DE resource packs though and will be learning as I go!

Good luck:)
    And THANK YOU for the info about the vars, I will do some testing!

Have a nice playing
  • I tried these values with a res of 1680x1050 (the closest match I have to yours) and all I could see was the very top tip of the weapon. I'm just trying to get the weapons to be visible for right now.

I have rend-hud-fov-shift 45 for Heretic and rend-hud-fov-shift 15 for Hexen, because I play Heretic without status bar and Hexen with status bar. Try to experiment with different values, for example 5, 10, 15, 85, so you will find exact values for your situation and needs

And dont forget about the FOV (rend-camera-fov), it should be higher than 90 (120 in my case)
  • Have you tried your pack with the new 2.0?

No, I tried my pack only with 1.15.x, starting from 1.15.0 and ending on 1.15.6
    I'm certainly willing to help you if I can, although it sounds like you've already done the hard work!

Thanks. I'm curious how it will work with 2.0, so please tell us the results:)
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    How to use:
    Have a nice playing

Thanks mate! I got your pack downloaded and have been testing!
    Unfortunately I'm getting lots of errors. So I figured I would try each piece one by one and see if I can track down which errors are coming from where! I tried "HERETIC__FX+PARTICLES+COMMON+SHARED___GLOBAL.zip" first, and got 3 errors:
    - Failed to load "(basedir)\data\jheretic\textures\Particle200.tga"
    - Flag 'srcvel' is not defined (or used out of context)
    - Flag 'blend' is not defined (or used out of context)

These are the same as when I tested the jhrp.pk3 that skyjake uploaded.
    I unzipped the file and Particle200.tga does in fact exist and is a valid file that I loaded with Paint.NET just fine. So I am at a loss as to why DE is throwing that error.

Perhaps one of the dev team can offer some insight?
    I've been reading the Doomsday.out file but it doesn't provide any additional information as to WHY the file fails to load.

I will continue trying to track down and resolve these errors and post my results (if any).
    THANKS AGAIN for sharing your work and posting!
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    I tried these values with a res of 1680x1050 (the closest match I have to yours) and all I could see was the very top tip of the weapon. I'm just trying to get the weapons to be visible for right now.

I have rend-hud-fov-shift 45 for Heretic and rend-hud-fov-shift 15 for Hexen, because I play Heretic without status bar and Hexen with status bar. Try to experiment with different values, for example 5, 10, 15, 85, so you will find exact values for your situation and needs

And dont forget about the FOV (rend-camera-fov), it should be higher than 90 (120 in my case)

Great information! I did figure out that if I turned off the status bar in Heretic that I can see most of the weapons. It's not 100% yet, so I'll try the above to see if I can get it right!
  • I tried "HERETIC__FX+PARTICLES+COMMON+SHARED___GLOBAL.zip" first, and got 3 errors:
    - Failed to load "(basedir)\data\jheretic\textures\Particle200.tga"
    - Flag 'srcvel' is not defined (or used out of context)
    - Flag 'blend' is not defined (or used out of context)

These are the same as when I tested the jhrp.pk3 that skyjake uploaded.

DavidInvenio, I fixed some bugs with models:

1) Figured, that "gnf_" prefixes should remain in all ded-s, where "Version = 5" exists, so restored all gnf-s in those files (so now you should have less messages like "Flag 'srcvel' is not defined (or used out of context)" )
    2) Fixed gargoyle's projectiles color (from red to yellow)
    3) Fixed incorrect colors of some blood effects
    4) When using fov120 and firing with firemace, projectiles are displayed only partially (and displaying fully only when moving far away from you). Currently I dont know how to fix this for powered ones (which is not reproduced in 1.8.6, it's the only issue of 1.15.x), but fixed for non-powered ones

Here are the fixed files:

• Greetings mate! Well DUH! on me for not seeing this sooner!
    I just sent you a PM about working on jHRP and modding!

Are you still working strictly on DE1?

Do you have a list of enhancements you have made, ie; better textures or models?
    I apologize if you've already told me (it's been a rough year! LOL)
    I'd definitely like to integrate any enhancements you have in my resource pack.

I definitely do not want us to duplicate efforts! So let me know what you are working on, or what you have already done, and I will do the same!