(Hello!) Some new models

edited 2012 Sep 23 in DOOM
Hello doomsday community, iv always wanted to make some models for doom/doomsday but haven't had the time before. But now that I do, I thought I give it a shot. Here is a WIP of my doom marine so far. comments, suggestions, complaints welcome :D .

dgv2full.th.jpg

Tried to keep the poly count down. I always liked how doom could put allot of characters on the screen and i didn't want to slow that down. when i first finished it was around 4000, but now its down to 1720 polys (but maybe i can get by with a few more?). Texture is still kinda rough but its getting there.

I would like to finish all the doom models but I dunno if ill get to them all. so as it stands now im just going to release each model as it becomes game ready.

O and Thank you for keeping doomsday alive!

Comments

• Oh, that is nice!

Good work there!

Just FYI, there have been some experiments made with 4K and 6K poly models and the engine runs fine with them, but I would stick under 4K as the MD2Tool that is used to make LOD models (amongst other things) is limited to 4096 triangles and 2048 vertices. As long as you don't go over those limits, it should be fine.

So don't be afraid to use the higher-res mesh! :D

Keep us informed, and great work!
  • This is good. Maybe he will work on the Archvile and Revenant next. I hope he is dedicated and will follow through.
  • Very good! Keep it up :)
  • I think he looks a bit too skinny. Though that may be because the waist section is, in my opinion, too big (i.e. I would have made the armour come down further).

I can't tell if the green on the legs is supposed to be armour worn over his pants, or a pattern on his pants.

Finally, I think the texture on the boots looks a bit blurry compared to the rest of the textures.

Is he wearing high heels?

Also, will the model be able to support Dday's weapon change feature (i.e. player models in Dday can display the weapon the player is using).
  • On a side note...I'm more worried about other changes, like performance increases and support for more polys + normal maps. Doomsday likes to slow down a lot sometimes, even for no obvious reason and without much being displayed on the screen. Funniest thing is even with my new and powerful Radeon HD 6870, it still does. So I know it isn't my hardware. I got a phenom II quad core 3.4Ghz cpu too with 4GB system RAM + Win7 64 home premium. Hardware can only do so much, you know. If the game/program isn't made to use much of the power or abilities of the new hardware, then I can upgrade my system until I'm blue in the face and it will do no good until the program is written to allow it. I wonder if a PCIe 1000MB/s or more (read/write time) SSD drive will help ingame when I buy one with Win8 in maybe 2 years. But I doubt it would help performance with Doomsday except for speeding up game loading time. But Dani is already upgrading the Doomsday software for faster loading, if not also for ingame performance gain.

The new Tea Monster Pinky model already causes major slowdown when 5 or more are on the screen at the same time. Can someone who is much more knowledgeable about Doomsday than me tell me why this is the case?
  • Excellent Rainin - keep up the good work. I hope to see more models from you.
  • gary wrote:
    I'm more worried about other changes, like performance increases and support for more polys + normal maps. Doomsday likes to slow down a lot sometimes, even for no obvious reason and without much being displayed on the screen. Funniest thing is even with my new and powerful Radeon HD 6870, it still does. So I know it isn't my hardware. I got a phenom II quad core 3.4Ghz cpu too with 4GB system RAM + Win7 64 home premium. Hardware can only do so much, you know.
    Do remember that the Doomsday renderer was implemented and designed for hardware over ten years old now. Nothing has fundamentally changed in the Doomsday renderer since then. As you said yourself, you can upgrade your hardware all you like but it will make zero appreciable difference (well, apart from a SSD which would help with resource loading times).

Performance isn't going to improve until we radically redesign the internals of the renderer to leverage the features of modern hardware.
  • That's odd, I was playing E1M8 the other day and it played fine with that room full of Pinkies. I've got a Phenom quad as well. Are there any issues with AMD cards and Doomsday?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    gary wrote:
    I'm more worried about other changes, like performance increases and support for more polys + normal maps. Doomsday likes to slow down a lot sometimes, even for no obvious reason and without much being displayed on the screen. Funniest thing is even with my new and powerful Radeon HD 6870, it still does. So I know it isn't my hardware. I got a phenom II quad core 3.4Ghz cpu too with 4GB system RAM + Win7 64 home premium. Hardware can only do so much, you know.
    Do remember that the Doomsday renderer was implemented and designed for hardware over ten years old now. Nothing has fundamentally changed in the Doomsday renderer since then. As you said yourself, you can upgrade your hardware all you like but it will make zero appreciable difference (well, apart from a SSD which would help with resource loading times).

Performance isn't going to improve until we radically redesign the internals of the renderer to leverage the features of modern hardware.

Also, IIRC, you have said you use the latest 1.9 beta. As I mentioned to you in another thread, many elements of 1.9 beta 6.9 are faster than 1.8.6. But some elements are considerably slower than 1.8.6, on account of half rewritten or temporary code.

One example would be animated textures/flats; beta 6.9 has temporary code in place for handling those, that can be considerably slower than 1.8.6.

That said, as DaniJ says, on top of the above, the Dday renderer is indeed old and not really designed for modern cards (video cards have become considerably more powerful over time, but have become less efficient at handling certain older rendering techniques (some of which, may be used by Dday, though I don't have any coding knowledge to even begin to back that up), simply because they are old or not so commonly used by software these days).
  • Thanks for the comments!
    gray wrote:
    Maybe he will work on the Archvile and Revenant next.
    Im planing to do the weapons and items first then move onto the monsters.
    Vermil wrote:
    I think he looks a bit too skinny. Though that may be because the waist section is, in my opinion, too big (i.e. I would have made the armour come down further).

I can't tell if the green on the legs is supposed to be armour worn over his pants, or a pattern on his pants.

Finally, I think the texture on the boots looks a bit blurry compared to the rest of the textures.

Is he wearing high heels?

Also, will the model be able to support Dday's weapon change feature (i.e. player models in Dday can display the weapon the player is using).

hmm yeah i think your right, ill try bulking him up a bit and changing the armor. im trying to go for a more realistic body build that doesn't feel to gears of warish.

Hes wearing pants just haven't painted in the wrinkles yet. The boots to, i haven't done to much texture work on um.
    dgboots.th.jpg
    No heels lol- just the the sole of the boot is split, was something i referenced off a unreal character. that being said, im not really liking the style anymore. im going to be reworking them soon.

Yes! there will be the weapon change thing. if i can figure it out, which shouldn't be to hard :P
  • When you do the model definitions for the player(s), the "selector" key is the weapon number I believe, or maybe 1 off. Basically, the selector key determines what weapon you're defining frames for! :D
  • cool sounds simple enough- yeah i don't have much experience with MD2's so this will be a bit of a learning experience.
  • the Selector key is in the DED files. For instance, say you have a model definition written in the DED text file for the player with a shotgun - I'm not sure the exact number, but say the number is 3. Well, then you'd put this in there:
    Selector = 3

I think that the old player model uses it, so you could use it as an example.
  • Will the monsters have damage stages and will the items look better than the already good looking ones in this pack: http://www.gamefront.com/files/17328814 ... fixes.pk3/ posted on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=439
  • that marine looks totally awesome so far rainin, it looks way better then the current marine for doom. :D

only personally i dont like the exposed tummy-part in between the top and jeans, it looks weird. it should show his skin there, not some weird metallic texture. looks kinda like as if the marine has some metal block where his tummy should be and he is some kinda cyborg or such, lol =))

suggestion...try putting a texture of his exposed skin there instead, with cool abbs? :D
    think that would look way more awesome then the odd metal texture that part has now :)
  • Hey, I made an account purely to post on here. I have no idea if you are still around at all - but just on the offchance that you are, the model you showed on here looks absolutely great.

If I could enquire - JHexen has suffered from a grievous lack of proper models for many years now, and of the three games, it's the only one that has to be considered 'unfinished'.

There's absolutely no models for Centaur, Stalker or The Heresiarch. The Dark Bishop and Afrit models are generally considered to still be works in progress. There is also no HUD model (that I know of) for The Fighter's Quietus weapon.

I've been waiting for so long for someone to complete these models. Cain used to have a couple of wireframe screenshots on his website of WIPs, but they were never taken any further than this initial stage, and he seems to have vanished from the community. If you would ever consider taking a look at Hexen it would be fantastic.

Ah well, just thought I'd ask....
  • Ergates wrote:
    If I could enquire - JHexen has suffered from a grievous lack of proper models for many years now, and of the three games, it's the only one that has to be considered 'unfinished'.

There's absolutely no models for Centaur, Stalker or The Heresiarch. The Dark Bishop and Afrit models are generally considered to still be works in progress.

It's possible someone may step up sooner or later... ahem... ;)

Still, I considered the Afrit to be done... I thought I modeled rock pieces for it and did particles, but I can't remember. If someone else wants to mess with it they can, but I lost the blender file for it I think. I also lost the Corvus model in a crash, so that would have to be redone... :| That's what I get for procrastinating like a champ!
  • Psychikon, thanks for your response.

The model of Afrit that I have (which I think dates from somewhere around 2005 or thereabouts) is not I think made by you. The one I have is a rather basic Afrit that was described as a "temporary work in progress" by the author, who also uploaded a WIP of the Dark Bishop. I've completely forgot the name of the guy who made it (and the Bishop) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't you.

The Afrit described in your post sounds awesome, and at the risk of sounding like an ignorant scrub, is there any kind of link that would allow me to download it?

Thank you.
  • Great stuff! Looks very nice :)
  • @ergates

psychikon's afrit is here on the forums too ;)
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=108

it looks just as amazing as his imp for hexen, its pure awesome :D
  • Hi Splitterface,
    you are here too? GREAT:)
  • @webangel

hiya :D
    nice to see you on here on these forums too :)

and of course im here too, im a big fan of doomsday ever since i first discovered it years ago :))

am mostly here on the forums for heretic & hexen related stuff. im especially a big fan of psychikons models for both games :D
  • Wow, what a nice thing to say! :D

THANKS
  • you're more then welcome psychikon. :D

i really love all your models, the details on them look so amazing, especially compared to all the other content there is out there for those games :)

and i hope you continue making more amazing models like the ones you've made :D

hope you'll be making more new monsters too, cuz some of the other monsters from heretic could seriously use an update too. especially the weredragon, the current weredragon model looks pretty mcuh like shit if you ask me
    hereticext002.jpg

not exactly very threatening looking, looks more silly and cute rather then evil if you ask me :P
  • And also lower res textures and low poly count.
  • I dare say I could take a pop at some Heretic models in the future.
  • I dare say I could take a pop at some Heretic models in the future.

that would totally rock if you did that teamonster, you make awesome models!
    like i love that cacodaemon you made, and the pistol for eduke32 :D

would be awesome if you'd make stuff for heretic <3
  • It would be awesome if Tea Monster took a crack at the archvile like he did with the demon and caco.
  • @splitterface

Thanks very much for the heads up. Sadly the radidshare link for the Afrit is no longer valid, and so I won't be able to have the model for myself, but even so it's good to know that it exists somewhere out there. :)