Ethereal Crossbow 2.0

edited 2017 Sep 10 in Addons for Heretic
Domsday Engine 2.0 Heretic Models

I stepped from Hexen for a while to start some models for Heretic. The first model will be Ethereal Crossbow, as a most popular weapon. It's design on sprites is very poor and lack of details and required wooden shoulders support and fire release systems. I'll fix that in the new model :)

Here is early WIP image.

HUD_Crossbow_WIP00.png

Comments

• veirdo wrote:
    I stepped from Hexen for a while to start some models for Heretic. The first model will be Ethereal Crossbow, as a most popular weapon. It's design on sprites is very poor and lack of details and required wooden shoulders support and fire release systems. I'll fix that in the new model :)

Sounds great :). Even though the "lack of detail" might just be that it is a magical crossbow, so that is why it lacks the wooden shoulders and the fire release system, because due to the magic it doesn't require it?
  • too true as a magical crossbow you do not need all the ropes and even if there was the weapon pick up sprite would have them.
  • Oh. magic! Ok guys, then I think I already finished the model :)
    The "magic" is good excuse to do nothing. Ethereal Crossbow is not magic enough not to use bended shoulders energy to fire bolts. Without support the shoulders will break the weapon and fly away after the bolt. The "magic" mind-based bolt release is not interesting either.
    Some artists don't mind how theirs art will work in a real life.
  • Maybe you'll have to do another Heretic model then, seeing as you got this one done so quickly :p
  • veirdo wrote:
    Oh. magic! Ok guys, then I think I already finished the model :)
    The "magic" is good excuse to do nothing. Ethereal Crossbow is not magic enough not to use bended shoulders energy to fire bolts. Without support the shoulders will break the weapon and fly away after the bolt. The "magic" mind-based bolt release is not interesting either.
    Some artists don't mind how theirs art will work in a real life.

I'm with you Veirdo, regardless of what the low detail sprite looks like, I think any model for these games should look real and believable (you can almost feel their weight and texture). Make it your way and if people have objections then they don't have to use it. As I've said in another post about the serpent staff It looks so real I want to reach out and grab it. and that was just from the screenshot you posted (I can't get V2 to run so I can't actually try the models yet).
  • note what it's called also if your going to add something to pull it back think on that also crossbows take too long to reload for the speed the ethereal crossbow fires.
  • edited 2017 Sep 10
    End of the week WIP image.
    HUD_Crossbow_WIP01.png
  • that looks good and i think it would be a good addition to the heretic weapons line up.
  • edited 2017 Sep 10
    Lowpoly model with quick materials
    HUD_Crossbow_WIP02.png
    HUD_Crossbow_WIP02a.png
  • awesome as always. even tho it's not suppose to have a draw string i think for the book of power enhancement it should have one that fits the color of the arrows it fires. i think that would look so cool.
  • edited 2017 Sep 10
    I already have idea about string visuals.
    Here is the string in "idle" mode.
    HUD_Crossbow_WIP04.gif
    And for the tome of power version I'll prepare another effects.
  • that looks awsome
  • edited 2017 Sep 11
    Corvus's hand to hold weapons WIP

HUD_CorvusHand_WIP00.png
  • That looks fantastic!

Is that particles or animated textures?
  • These effects not particles nor animated textures. I used translate UVs shader functions to do it.
  • That's gorgeous.
  • anything new to show? :)

are you working on other weapons that requires Corvus's hand?
  • edited 2017 Jan 18
    0815Jack wrote:
    anything new to show? :)

are you working on other weapons that requires Corvus's hand?

Hi 0815Jack, the last two months I was very busy. I changed the company where I'm working and transferred to another country. Now I moved out from a company's apartment they rented to me, to my own, and settled down. But my main working PC is still disassembled. In my very few free time I worked on my laptop, and for today I finished the models and materials/effects for Crossbow/Corvus's arm (to hold a Crossbow) and even rigged everything. So the next stations are: animations => export = scripts.

The rigged model is NOT a very pleasant thing to show, it looks like a building in a scaffolding :)
  • yo just wondering about the corvus arm and this applys to dday it's self but would it be possible to have the player arms stay on screen and switch to the weapons? i know it will be hard but i think that would be awesome.
  • edited 2017 Sep 11
    Heretic_EtherealArrows.gif
    Heretic_QuiverOfArrows_WIP0.png
  • welcome back veirdo :)

beautifil WIP screenshots like always :D Is the fletching of the arrow aninmated?
  • looks like and cool
  • edited 2017 Sep 11
    0815Jack wrote: »
    welcome back veirdo :)

beautifil WIP screenshots like always :D Is the fletching of the arrow aninmated?

You mean kinda lightning-shaped stuff at the back end? I tried, but it produces visual noise from far. For pickups better keep very simple and easy readable shape.

Ethereal Crossbow pickup item:
    Heretic_iCrossbow_WIP0.png

In game:
    https://artstation.com/artwork/8nGqQ

• edited 2017 Sep 11
    Serpent Torch WIP
    Heretic_SerpentTorch_FireTest_wSprite.png
  • will the flame look the same ingame?

I think the skull is not a real human skull but a sculpture made of bronze...but looks nevertheless cool...
  • Hey 0815Jack! Yes, the flame will be like that in game, it's slightly changed shader from my test prototype
    About the model: I want to make scales less size to not distract the attention from the skull. Also I want to make skull to be more saturated color. It would be slightly off from PBR brass values I used for reference for material. But it's a game, so I can exaggerate some things :)
  • veirdo wrote: »
    Serpent Torch WIP
    That looks really nice. :+1:

• Very cool! Is the fire animated UVs again?
  • edited 2017 Jul 21
    Very cool! Is the fire animated UVs again?

Yes and no :)
    This time the shader is more complex. It used the main "flame" texture translated through meshes, and I also have another "noise" texture (kinda normalMap) to distort UV's of the main texture. That "noise" have it's own translation speed so you could (almost)never see a repeating pattern of the main texture. Another feature is a Fresnel-based transparency. The mesh faces faded out to transparency when the angle between view vector and face normal become 90 degrees.

I hope I will be able to make it into actual game this weekend.