Sapphire Wand 2.0 + Doomsday 2 Hexen Models

Comments

• Looking good veirdo :), when will you release some downloadable content? ;)
  • when the new renderer is ready i would think
  • The image above I took from Maya viewport is a model with a custom shader which is very similar to Doomsday shader. We collaborated with Skyjake to make them very close. Mine is simplier though, it uses only one light source beyond ambient or sector light. But it's for preview purposes only.
    I'll prepare a vial model for release on the next weekend. Other models are not ready yet.
    Ettin model lack of idle animations and fatality death visuals.
    Sapphire wand need to rework with a new shader features.
    I'll adress that after releasing a first model.
  • First public release in the first message of the topic. There are only one simple Crystal Vial model yet.
  • Quartz Flask 2.0 WIP
    flask2_untextured.png
  • Epic flask!
  • just a question will the stuff that is present in both heretic and hexen be able to use this pack like the health vile and flask?
  • Gordon wrote:
    just a question will the stuff that is present in both heretic and hexen be able to use this pack like the health vile and flask?
    Heretic game can't use this pack, but the models could be easily transferred by modifying definitions to suit Heretic. Cubemaps should be replaced also, one should not see Hexen levels in the reflections.
  • veirdo wrote:
    Heretic game can't use this pack, but the models could be easily transferred by modifying definitions to suit Heretic. Cubemaps should be replaced also, one should not see Hexen levels in the reflections.

That is actually something I wanted to ask. Is the engine (or will be) capable of real-time reflections instead of showing the player a certain image? Because if you simply put an image in, it looks rather odd if you consider your surroundings sometimes.
  • Milten wrote:
    Is the engine (or will be) capable of real-time reflections instead of showing the player a certain image? Because if you simply put an image in, it looks rather odd if you consider your surroundings sometimes.
    None of the current games showing real reflections on objects. It's a very heavy task, you should render scene one more time for each reflect-able object for each frame.
    The only exceptions are some static objects like flat mirrors or expanse of water. For statics the scene rendered only twice.
    For dynamic objects the scene still can reflect real world on a main character.
    Even one of the most tech engines Unreal Engine faking their "real-world" reflection by carefully placing Reflection Captures in certain places.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/IN ... eflections
  • veirdo wrote:
    None of the current games showing real reflections on objects. It's a very heavy task, you should render scene one more time for each reflect-able object for each frame.
    The only exceptions are some static objects like flat mirrors or expanse of water. For statics the scene rendered only twice.
    For dynamic objects the scene still can reflect real world on a main character.
    Even one of the most tech engines Unreal Engine faking their "real-world" reflection by carefully placing Reflection Captures in certain places.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/IN ... eflections

Ah, yes, I understand, it's a performance killer if overdone. In my opinion, rather leave out a "fake" reflection, because there is a big variety within the levels, and it looks rather odd, if it reflects something completely else, due to the built-in image.
    Rather make the liquid a bit more translucent I think?
  • Each level will use theirs own 2 versions of reflections (indoor and outdoor), so there should not be odd looking visuals.

The liquid is opaque for 2 reasons:
    1. Translucent objects generates pixel overdraw.
    2. Liquid contained glass should refract the world behind but current world renderer is not capable to do that.
  • veirdo wrote:
    Gordon wrote:
    just a question will the stuff that is present in both heretic and hexen be able to use this pack like the health vile and flask?

thanks for the info. i think with the pack released some one should do just that.
  • Quartz Flask 2.0 game-ready
    Flask2_GameReady.gif
  • Can't wait to see it in the game :)
  • @rmladenov
    Now you can see it in game. Just download package from the first message.
    i-flask2_01.png
  • Wow, that's really cool stuff. The most common items - crystal vials and quartz flasks are now super professional hi-res models!!! Maybe soon we'll see the mana models - blue, green and combined. I hope you continue your work with the models. Wish you luck!
  • I want to return to a HUD Sapphire Wand model now. That's a model I started from, and a thread is named by, but it's still not enough quality even compared to a XARP md2 model. I want to revise it with a new shader's capabilities. It's a long-term model, but I'll break a gap between a long-term models like HUD weapons or monsters with a one or two short-term models, like pick-ups or decorations. So I'll deal with a new mana models after releasing a HUD Wand model.
  • Of all Hexen models that we have I think the most ragged looking is the bell in the first level tower.
  • veirdo wrote:
    @rmladenov
    Now you can see it in game. Just download package from the first message.
    i-flask2_01.png

Well done as usual. I am really excited to see the new Mage Wand coming.
  • I make a sapphire gem more lively with a new shader's features. That's an early test though.
    sapphre_test.gif
  • beautiful :)
  • That's awesome work. When you finish it, I will play only with the wizard to enjoy this wonderful model.
  • That is absolutely beautiful!
  • very very awesome
  • Wand Attack animation and effects test
    wandAttackTest.gif
  • wow nice!!!!!!!
  • Got it working in game. After small touches I'll release it for a community.
    HUD_Wand_00.png
    [edit] Sapphire wand model have been released
  • As I understand, wand model currently uses 2 predefined refrection maps for map01, am I right?

Also finally I tried ettin model: those wounds (decals), frozen effect and ice chunks looks pretty awesome, it's very interesting how the final version will look

P.S. DEI definitions looks much shorter than DED versions in previous models, is it because of more flexible syntax?
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    As I understand, wand model currently uses 2 predefined refrection maps for map01, am I right?
    Reflection maps now not model-centric, but environment or map-centric. For each map should be 2 reflection maps for outdoor and indoor settings. There are only 2 default (Winnowing hall based) reflection maps yet. I'll add more when moving forward to the new models and its surroundings.
    theleo_ua wrote:
    DEI definitions looks much shorter than DED versions in previous models, is it because of more flexible syntax?
    That's because of a new model format. Now one should not bother about all animation states and transitions between them.