Files not found

edited 2018 Sep 30 in DOOM
owelh8z6iyo8.png
I have a strange problem. I'm not sure if it's because of doomsday 2 or because of linux permissions. I've gotten all of the files working in the pic working previously but right now the engine seems to be completely blind; it can't find anything. Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Any help will be appreciated. EDIT: In case it's relevant, I've also had the problem of lost wads a number of times: I would quit Doomsday and next time it couldn't see any wads, even though nothing had/was changed.This was easily "fixed" by deleting runtime folder and reintalling doomsday.

Comments

• edited 2018 Sep 30
    Could you attach your doomsday.out (rename it to, e.g., doomsday_log.txt) and describe your setup a little, please? Are you starting the game from the command line or via the game library screen?

In the Doomsday console, you can use the "ls" command to inspect if Doomsday is seeing your native files. For example, "ls /home/username/whateverpath".
  • Ubuntu mate LTS 16 i5 nvidia gtx970
    I'm using the the game library screen.
    I tried using the "Is command", but I don't think I'm doing it right..
    Thank you for your quick reply.
  • Have you tried the latest unstable build of 2.1?
    http://api.dengine.net/1/builds/2828

I tried 2.0.3 in Ubuntu 18.04.1 myself just now and it seemed quite buggy. Build 2828 seems to work much better.
  • I was just trying it out. Unfortunately it doesn't work any better for me. Is there something particular about using addons, that I've missed?
  • This post by deus-ex describes how to use addons: http://talk.dengine.net/discussion/comment/16206/#Comment_16206

In the log, this doesn't look right:
    Using user-selected package folder (including subfolders): ~/Documents/DOOM/addons
    Using user-selected package folder (including subfolders): ~/Documents/DOOM/addons/
    com.hiriwa.dhmp.20180311
    Using user-selected package folder (including subfolders): ~/Documents/DOOM/addons/
    deng-dhtp-20171001
    jdmu-doom-classic-20080930
    Using user-selected package folder (including subfolders): ~/Documents/DOOM/addons/Abbspack Fullpack
    v7.1 (deus-ex fixed edition)

You only need "~/Documents/DOOM/addons" in the Data Files configuration, since it looks also in the subfolders. Also, PK3 files are not supposed to be manually extracted/unzipped.

Hopefully this helps!
  • That actually might have helped some. I now some work and others don't. I'm going to get back to you later. Thanks!
  • So I got some working and others not. Do you think the way I launch the game could make a difference? TBH I haven't found any definite difference between those files that work and those that don't.
  • edited 2018 Oct 7
    Sounds a lot like the problems me and someone else have (had) over here:

http://talk.dengine.net/discussion/2571/issues-getting-any-game-to-launch#latest
    http://talk.dengine.net/discussion/2588/games-disappear-after-adding-addon-how-to-reset#latest

And there was a similar problem a year ago.

In my case and the case a year ago it was a problem with spaces in addon folder names/add-on names, although on the windows version the problem doesn't occur after restarting, the games disappear the moment you load such a file.

Turning the spaces into underscores solves the problem of this occurring.
  • Klonedio wrote: »
    So I got some working and others not. Do you think the way I launch the game could make a difference? TBH I haven't found any definite difference between those files that work and those that don't.
    This log looks much better. I see some DHMP models failed to load textures; not sure if that's an error in the DHMP or a bug in Doomsday.

Which add-ons weren't working for you? Maybe they were loaded correctly but there's some other reason why they aren't providing the expected result.