Head bobbing

edited 2013 Feb 15 in DOOM
I'm using Doomsday 1.9.10. Any way to turn this off? Over the years since I first played Doom, I've developed Meniere's disease. For some reason the head bobbing in this game sets off an attack in 10 or 15 minutes, and the whole room spins and I feel like puking.

It'd be sad to not be able to play through this classic again!

Comments

• Certainly, open the console and adjust the value of cvar view-bob-height (set to zero to disable completely).
  • That worked, thank you! I was trying to figure it out on my own last night, but was trying view_bob_height... Used to the old Quake-style cvars. =D

Thank God, now I can play without having a bucket handy!
  • While on the subject of 'bobbing' is there a command to adjust the weapon bobbing ?
  • view-bob-weapon
  • Vermil wrote:
    view-bob-weapon
    Sweet! Thanks Vermil....again! lol
  • oh no, I set view-bob-weapon = 0 and now I can't get it back to 1
  • Type into the console
    VIEW-BOB-WEAPON 1

That should do it :)
  • never mind, I put in the = and it was messing things up. all good now.
  • Slightly off topic, but say I wanted to force 'view-bob-weapon 0.5' for a mod. I would need to put this into some kind of file that will override the default when ran.

This file would go into a mymod.pk3 file to be ticked in Snowberry.

How could I go about this. Would some kind of .cfg file work here?
  • I believe Dday does offers a command line option to set which cfg file to use, but it can only be done game wide, not for specific settings or mods (i.e every cvar a user changes while running your mod, will be saved to your mods config instead of the users original config).

I wouldn't do it and instead wait for future modding features which may offer a legitmete way of doing such at mod level.

Indeed, Dday's values defs actually already have a feature to completely disable weapon bobbing at mod level on a weapon by weapon basis; the static field.
  • Thanks for info Vermil.

I dont know about the 'Static' field. However, im not looking to disable 'Weapon Bob', but reduce it to a value of 0.5. This is because the 3D weapon model sways way too much and feels odd. Reducing the bobbing to 0.5 makes it feel much better.

However, I dont want users to have to manually change this when using our MOD (alot of people wont bother), so I wanted to set this automatically for them. I presume 'Static' cant do this, hence the name!

Any suggestions ?
  • My suggestion is that you should not alter the weapon bob strength. This cvar is actually part of the player configuration and as such should not be changed by a mod. The user does not expect that loading a mod will permanently alter their config (rightly so, its bad practice).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    My suggestion is that you should not alter the weapon bob strength. This cvar is actually part of the player configuration and as such should not be changed by a mod. The user does not expect that loading a mod will permanently alter their config (rightly so, its bad practice).
    I agree! Thats why I was hoping there was a way that the weapon bobbing value could be chnaged only while the mod was ran, but as soon as it was turned off the default value was used again. Sort of like an override config.

I guess the best solution is to provide a 'Read Me' file that hopefully the user will read first that notes its recommended to change this value for looks, so the user has control and knows whats what. They may even prefer different values I suppose.
  • edited 2013 Feb 12
    You could write an Infine def that displays suggested settings when the user runs your mod, or place the settings on a custom help screen (Dday allows you to edit the help screens with Infine).

But try not to present the user with too many settings to manually change otherwise it may be annoying.
  • Thanks for suggestions.

Interesting about the help screen.
  • glad to find this thread. I thought the bob only had 2 states 0 and 1. glad to see it can include decimal as I find .1 to be perfect for the fist in hexen. haven't tried the other weapons yet. Thanks for the info.
  • Vermil wrote:
    You could write an Infine def that displays suggested settings when the user runs your mod, or place the settings on a custom help screen (Dday allows you to edit the help screens with Infine).
    I would advise against doing this as sooner or later Doomsday will implement the needed functionality (per-weapon bob strength multipliers). At which point your mod's previously helpful animation will be not only redundant but also misinform the user.

I realise that kludging around engine shortcomings is a DOOM modding tradition (of sorts), however this kind of thing should be avoided with Doomsday mods as the engine will continue to evolve after your mod is shipped.

My suggestion is to simply note your configuration suggestions in the mod's ReadMe documentation.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    My suggestion is to simply note your configuration suggestions in the mod's ReadMe documentation.
    Thanks for advice DaniJ.

It would have been nice to set things per MOD, but as suggested will just include it on a 'Readme' file, unless something changes until then.

The MOD is no were near completion, so not really a top priority, if there was a way I would have popped it in to set things up as the MOD evolves.

At the end of the day, this is no big deal, its just a matter of preference, is not breaking anything.

I think quite often MODS tend to have a readme file for recommended settings, but everybody likes different things.

At least advice here lets me know were I stand and as always has been helpfull.

Cheers
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I would advise against doing this as sooner or later Doomsday will implement the needed functionality (per-weapon bob strength multipliers). At which point your mod's previously helpful animation will be not only redundant but also misinform the user.
    This makes me very happy.