[General Query] A few questions.

Comments

• What about the weapon offset bug? Will that be fixed in Monday's build as well, or does that require something else to fix?

I would fix the errors in the jhrp, but I don't know a whole lot about the package system in Doomsday. It's changed so much over the last 10 years. Hehe.
  • Are you saying the weapon offset has changed when comparing the current unstable build vs 1.8.6 ? There should be no difference with the psprite model offsets between the two.

I note that your above screenshot is a somewhat unusual 600x480, is this intentional? Doomsday's psprite model render assumes that you are running in a resolution with a 4:3 aspect, this may be the source of the extra offset. If this is resolution you intend to run in, then you might find that adjusting the value of cvar rend-hud-fov-shift will solve the issue.
  • Yeah, my monitor isn't widescreen. My desktop resolution is 1280x1024. What FOV do you recommend for this?

Edit: The rend-hud-fov-shift command doesn't seem to do anything with the Heretic weapons. It only seems to work in Doom.

Edit #2: Actually, now it's not working in Doom, either. It was working earlier! It's almost like it's broken now.

Edit #3: Yup, another edit. It turns out that rend-hud-fov-shift does not work when the FOV is 90. Setting it to 95 fixes this issue. How strange.
  • It looks like the newer build I'm using has improved particle and blood effects. Well, 'improved' is a perception in this case. Some of the effects like flames could use a realistic touch instead of looking cartoony. Same with the smoke plumes. Is that particle effect information stored in the core jdoom files like the exe files and not the model pack?
  • The Doomsday default deds come with a handful of basic particle effects. They have been changed more than one since 1.8.6.

I once tried to start a discussion back in the NewDoom days about whether the default Dday deds should come with such (that all the base Dday install should come with is the visual effects Dday automatically applies (dlights around full bright mobjs and fake radio).
  • Is the Monday weekly report running late? Or maybe very soon we will get 1.9.7 final. Sounds good. I wonder if visuals and noticeable stuff will be changed in relation to the recent unstable builds. I also notice more activity on this forum in the past week.
  • yep been good for activity and i hope we soon get 1.9.7 stable as a nice Christmas gift but that wishing for a BFG to the code to make it all work how the devs want it. lol.
  • Thanks for fixing the DetailTextures, Dani. By the way, Daniel Norton's DetailTexture pack works great alongside the one created by you a long time ago. Your Detail Texture Pack didn't add detail to some textures, which is where Daniel Norton's pack takes over. With the two of them together, every texture in the game looks awesome!

Does anyone know of more DetailTexture packs besides these two?
  • I've been trying to fix up Sambo's sound pack today, but am having some issues. I don't really get how the "link" option is going to help. It seems to me that all the link option does is change all of one sound to something else. This doesn't help give certain monsters unique sounds, which is what Sambo's pack does. For example, there are about 6 or 7 monsters in Doom that use the "dsdmpain.wav" pain sound. It seems to me that the only possible way to give each of these monsters unique sounds is to modify objects.ded, unless I'm mistaken. The link option would only change all the dsdmpain.wav sounds to something else, correct? It also seems to me that modifying objects.ded would have possible consequences with mods.

I tried modifying the current objects.ded file today with Sambo's pack for a temporary solution at least, but then I noticed some odd behavior, like the chaingun flipping out when you switch to it (the chaingun from the jdrp). If you simply create an addon pk3 file and include an exact copy of objects.ded in there, the chaingun is messed up. This means that at the moment, it's impossible to mod objects.ded, as far as I can tell... Dani, do you have any tips on how to modify objects.ded without the chaingun screwing up? I guess for now I can just modify the objects.ded file contained directly inside jdoom.pk3, but this would break online compatibility, I'm sure.
  • You don't need to have all the State definitions in it.. You only need the Thing definitions that are at the top of the objects.ded.
  • Ah, thanks. That worked. I modified objects.ded as a temporary solution for now to get Sambo's soundpack to work. I'm still not sure how exactly the Link option will help.

By the way, has a bug report already been submitted about Cacodemons getting stuck inside each other? Also, I got stuck in a wall once when gargoyles were attacking me in Heretic... There are some odd clipping issues, it seems.
  • we all know about the cacodemons but i thought it was fixed and in heretic and hexen there will be clipping issues not much in heretic.
  • The link field allows the creation of new sound defs like so:

Sound {
    ID = "cacact";
    Flags = "sf_shift2";
    Lump = "DSCACACT";
    Link = "dmact";
    Link pitch = -1;
    Link volume = -1;
    Priority = 120;
    Max channels = 1;
    }

Sound {
    ID = "brsact";
    Flags = "sf_shift2";
    Lump = "DSBRSACT";
    Link = "dmact";
    Link pitch = -1;
    Link volume = -1;
    Priority = 120;
    Max channels = 1;
    }

If there is no sound called 'DSCACACT in the loaded wads/files, Dday will instead use the original 'dmact' sound def. This allows one to add these new sound defs without screwing up Dehacked support or older Dday mods.

Dday uses the link field to add numerous new sound defs to Heretic. But the feature was never applied to Doom aside from the mysterious unused 'CHGUN' def.

The mobj defs have to be updated to point to these new sound defs in the first place though.
  • I see. I've actually already modified objects.ded to include new sounds for each monster. Maybe I'll find the time to create link files and send the udpated defs to Dani. That would make future sound mods easier to create without having to define every "thing".

Also, I have to confirm what Gary said in page one. After playing certain demanding maps in Doom, the particle effects randomly stop working, and stay this way for the entire map. I noticed this easily in Map 20 of Doom2. After I fight the Cyberdemon and Mastermind for a while, particle effects suddenly stop working altogether. It's almost like there is some limit being reached, even though I have particles set to Unlimited in the control panel.

Edit: Is there a way to remove the confirmation prompts in the game? So when I quicksave for example, I don't have to press "Y" every time.
  • I see. I've actually already modified objects.ded to include new sounds for each monster. Maybe I'll find the time to create link files and send the udpated defs to Dani. That would make future sound mods easier to create without having to define every "thing".

I've already sent DaniJ unique sound defs for near everything in Doom. He is debating which ones to use (as he doesn't want every single sound in Doom to have a unique def).
    Also, I have to confirm what Gary said in page one. After playing certain demanding maps in Doom, the particle effects randomly stop working, and stay this way for the entire map. I noticed this easily in Map 20 of Doom2. After I fight the Cyberdemon and Mastermind for a while, particle effects suddenly stop working altogether. It's almost like there is some limit being reached, even though I have particles set to Unlimited in the control panel.

Dday has a limit of 256 particle generators active at once (though each generator can spawn a potentially unlimited amount of particles; this is what the control panel option relates to). If that limit is reached, they all shut down until the next map.

Dday has two options for generator spawning;

The first is state based, which essentially means 2 torches will use 2 generators.

The second option is mobj based, which shares a single generator between all mobjs of the same type. This means all the torches on the map will use the same generator; however that generators particles are then also shared between all torches on the map.

This is why the particle generators for torches visually change between maps; the more of a given mobj type there is on the map, the thinner the generators particles are spread.

Obviously, ideally, mobj generators would be used whereever possible. However sometimes you full control over the appearance of your particle effect, so you have no choice but to use a state based generator.

That said, your Map20 issue sounds strange, I assume you've only just started the map? It is possible that the map is literally on the edge of the 256 generator limit at the start and potentially let's say too many rocket's flying around pushes it over. Or maybe the rockets use state based generators and for some reason they are not being given back when the rockets are destroyed (I seem to recall something like this long ago with the missiles in Heretic...)
  • Ok, well I figured out that the Jdoom Ambient Pack was making the issue much worse on map 20. The Ambient pack adds lava effects to all the lava textures in map 20, which I'm sure creates a lot of particles. It's a shame that limit of 256 exists. I think that needs to be changed. Otherwise, we are rather limited with large maps, especially if we want Ambient packs that add effects to teleporters, lava, etc.. At the very least, the particles should only shut off for a short period of time when the limit is reached. The fact that you suddenly can't see any type of bullet impact puffs or blood is silly. You can't even tell what you are hitting when you shoot at monsters!

Edit: Actually, the issue wasn't the lava effects. It was from bullet decals. The Jdoom ambient pack adds bullet decals whenever you shoot a wall. I'm guessing that whenever I fight the spider mastermind in map 20 of doom2, there are too many bullet decals, and everything is shut off. I guess that means the limit of 256 makes bullet decals impossible, which is a shame!
  • Those aren't "decals", they are what they are - a small collection of particles each with their own generator.

A particle system simply isn't suitable for decals however that doesn't stop users from doing just that given no other option. A decal has rather different properties to those of a particle belonging to a dynamic physics simulation. Furthermore, users would ideally have decals last forever once applied to a surface.

Using a particle system to imitate a decal system is already a bad idea, however given the fixed generator limit - its pretty much ridiculous to attempt it.
  • Sure, I understand. Doomsday doesn't currently support decals, does it?

By the way, sorry for all my questions and such lately. I'm just trying to get my installation of Doom up and running smoothly after so many years of absence.
  • Does anyone know why the "speed" option does not work in objects.ded for fireballs? For example, if I change the speed of the TROOPSHOT to 200, nothing happens. Is it broken?
  • Does anyone know why the "speed" option does not work in objects.ded for fireballs? For example, if I change the speed of the TROOPSHOT to 200, nothing happens. Is it broken?

The speed field in the mobj defs for the Imp, Caco and Barron fireballs doesn't have any effect because there is special code in the source, inherited from the original Doom (this means Dehacked can't change the speed of these fireballs either), for speeding those fireballs up to specific speed values in Nightmare skill (i.e. rather than say just doubling, tripling the speed of them) that also set's them to their default speed for other skills.

Specifically this is the piece of code as it was in 1.8.6. It obviously still exists.

#if __JDOOM__
    if(fastparm || (skill == sk_nightmare && gameskill != sk_nightmare))
    {
    for(i = S_SARG_RUN1; i <= S_SARG_RUN8; i++)
    states.tics = 1;
    for(i = S_SARG_ATK1; i <= S_SARG_ATK3; i++)
    states.tics = 4;
    for(i = S_SARG_PAIN; i <= S_SARG_PAIN2; i++)
    states.tics = 1;
    mobjinfo[MT_BRUISERSHOT].speed = 20 * FRACUNIT;
    mobjinfo[MT_HEADSHOT].speed = 20 * FRACUNIT;
    mobjinfo[MT_TROOPSHOT].speed = 20 * FRACUNIT;
    }
    else
    {
    for(i = S_SARG_RUN1; i <= S_SARG_RUN8; i++)
    states.tics = 2;
    for(i = S_SARG_ATK1; i <= S_SARG_ATK3; i++)
    states.tics = 8;
    for(i = S_SARG_PAIN; i <= S_SARG_PAIN2; i++)
    states.tics = 2;
    mobjinfo[MT_BRUISERSHOT].speed = 15 * FRACUNIT;
    mobjinfo[MT_HEADSHOT].speed = 10 * FRACUNIT;
    mobjinfo[MT_TROOPSHOT].speed = 10 * FRACUNIT;
  • Using build #353. In the console, it says that it is missing painflash and deathdrip (I think deathdrip). That explains the white flash instead of the red. At first I thought it was a new flash effect intentionally included to replace the red one.
  • I found a bug in e1m7 of Doom. That center piece in the screenshot below is supposed to lower like a trap, revealing maybe 5 shotgun guys. However, it gets stuck in Doomsday and makes the elevator noise constantly. you have to use idclip and go through it in order to make it work. This is the area next to the blue key door. I tried disabling all add-ons, but with the same effect. I imagine there are more lifts with this same bug, although this is the first one I've found. I'm using build 353, and was playing on Ultra Violence.

shotgunliftbug.jpg

I also saw an imp outside the map in e1m3, but am unsure as to how it happened. There seems to be numerous clipping issues in Doomsday, including Cacodemons getting stuck inside each other, and Gargoyles pushing the player inside walls.
  • Ok, so I actually found a bug report for the column in e1m7:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=542099

Why is it that a lot of these bugs had resolutions a long time ago, yet are still not fixed in these builds? The Cacodemon bug, for example, was supposedly going to be fixed back in 2006, according to Dani. It obviously still exists, however:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=542099
  • We haven't yet made the "next" stable release I was referring to in that post.

Bug fixes are generally incorporated into builds at the earliest opportunity. However some bugs do not have simple solutions, they may require rather large changes. Others simply get pushed aside or overlooked.
  • Fair enough. I hope we get a stable release soon! 2006 is an awful long time for something like the Cacodemon bug! Haha.
  • I also had a problem with a lift in Dimensions of Time on map 06, I believe. I used idclip. I wondered why there was no way to move further into the building after hitting the switch and all the Mancubis start warping in. So it must be related to a bug in this build, like I expected and what LH said above. Anwyays, the painflash is missing, in case you didn't see that post.
  • I just played through all of Ultimate Doom. I have to say, the latest Doomsday is very stable. The only major issue I came across is the Cacodemon bug. I saw about 5-6 different groups of Cacodemons stuck inside each other throughout the game. This bug certainly is annoying, and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Now on to Doom2!
  • I have seen that bug a lot too, but it isn't restricted to just cacodemons but perhaps the fact that monsters cannot go under or over each other and also since we are using models.
  • There is a long standing bug in 1.9 where the auto lower/raise to camera feature of all flying bad guys doesn't check something is in the way first.

This affects all games and any mobj; i.e a flying bad guy will camera raise/lower into anything (for instance a Gargoyle lowering into a barrel it's flying over).