[General Query] A few questions.

I'm trying to get everything set up right in my current installation of Doomsday, and I have a few questions.

1. First of all, is there a direct input mouse mode? I noticed there is a tiny bit of latency on my mouse. Does Doomsday support 1000Hz polling rate and 2000 DPI? I have a gaming mouse with those modes, but it certainly doesn't feel like the game is utilizing them.

2. For some reason the menu font won't change to high-res when I install this:
http://www.filefront.com/17328745/jdui- ... ace11.pk3/

The only part of the menu that changes is the "Nightmare" skill selection. Everything else is the default.

I guess that's it for now.

Comments

• well for number 2 that is already known about for a long time and for the mouser i have a gaming mouse and it works great with doomsday
  • Re: 1) try setting the "input-mouse-filter" cvar to zero.
  • Here's my question: Why is it that when I try to load a wad called Dimensions of Time at the bottom of the list here: http://www.doomarchive.com/ListFiles.as ... lderId=191 Doomsday appears to freeze while it is loading? I hope it isn't because for some reason Doomsday can't run it.
  • It's not the actual wad. It's the separate Dehacked file included in the zip, that causes Dday to crash at engine start up.

Opening it, it appears the Dehacked lump is corrupted/damaged; there’s loads of garbage at the start and the rest looks completely malformed.
  • Ok, I have a few more issues...

1. All of a sudden when I launch Doom2 from snowberry, the game thinks I'm playing Final Doom TNT: Evilution. The menu and everything says Final Doom TNT: Evilution. I double checked, and it should be Doom2. Why did this suddenly change? The menu screen and high-res graphics look like Final Doom, yet the maps are Doom2.

2. Dynamic Lighting really lags the game for me in certain maps. I get about 25fps in Doom2 map 15 with dynamic lights enabled. Is there any way to speed this up without turning it off altogether? I never got this type of lag in the old stable versions of Doomsday.

3. When I have "Deocrations Enabled" in the Lights tab in control panel, some maps lag quite a bit. What does this option even do? I don't notice anything change when I turn it off (besides the increase in fps).
  • 1) Please upload your logs for both Snowberry and Doomsday some place where we can review them for issues. That sounds very strange indeed, the only way that would normally occur is if you have changed the paths to those files or, more likely, you have inadvertently modified your IWADs and now they are being mis-recognised. Have you recently been looking at your IWADs in any old lump editors?

2) There are some significant performance bottlenecks in the current unstable release with regard to dynamic lights, these have since been addressed in the ringzero branch but that code has not yet been merged back to the master.

3) Light decorations are typically small lights that are attached to textures for effects like glowing switches, light fittings, etc... Turning off that option naturally disables these effects however the reason for the performance improvement is the same as #2, they both use the same internal systems for management.
  • Argh, you are right. Stupid Wintex! It was having an error yesterday, and I was trying to fix it. That must have been when I somehow managed to screw up Doom2.wad. That program has no warning whatsoever before modifying iWAD files.

Thanks for the response, DaniJ. I guess I'll just have to wait for a future release...
  • 1) I noticed that in some maps, also in custom wads, each time the player fires a shot no matter the weapon, the game will quickly lag lasting for about 0.2 seconds. Does that have something to do with particles? Maybe Doomsday has performance issues with particles at times.

2) Which reminids me of another problem I brought up a while back and someone answered that maybe the particles exceed some limit in the map. The problem was that in maps like Refueling Base in Doom 2 and also map 09 in TNT (the one where you start off surrounded by many barrels and there are many human zombies in this map), after a little while of playing through and even sometimes early on, the particles act like they shut off for no apparent reason. This goes for sparks, flames, or other effects from any monster, object, or player weapons. Sometimes they only appear slighly. I noticed this same problem in some maps when playing Plutonia II. In the Plutonia II map called Arch-Violence, particles are non-existant or will go away shortly after starting and for the entire map since that level suffers from a severe form of the problem I described.

I noticed that if I save, exit, and then reload, sometimes the problem will go away temporarily but might return later in the map. I think this problem was also present in 1.8.6. I hope this is a known issue being worked on.
  • edited 2011 Dec 17
    I just noticed the "wall movement" code is completely messed up. If I touch a wall at all, even slightly, I get stuck on it until I aim myself completely straight and away from the wall. I can't slide on walls at all. Is this already a known issue? It pretty much makes the game unplayable for me. If I'm trying to run around a corner and even barely touch the corner, I'll get stuck and mauled by monsters. Not any fun at all.
  • It does suck when a lost soul somehow gets stuck over you and you can't move as a result, allowing other monsters to kill you. Fortunately I don't have much problem with walls.

Edit: I sure hope this dynamic light performance loss is resolved by the time the stable 1.9.7 is released.
  • Well, plus you can't even adjust yourself to make tricky jumps. For example, in map 20 of doom 2, there is a lift/door near the very start that allows you to get up to the chaingun guy area with green armor. You can barely move around on that small lift to adjust yourself for the jump when you get stuck on the wall so easily. As far as I'm concerned, this really does make the current build of Doomsday unplayable, which is a shame. Everything else seems great, minus the dynamic light lag (which I can just turn off).

I REALLY hope this can be fixed soon. I was looking forward to playing through Doom and Doom2 again this weekend, but it looks like I'll have to wait.
  • Which build of Doomsday are you using and which game are you playing? I'm using the current build 350 for testing this issue and I'm having no trouble with sliding along walls, it is working much the same as it always has done in DOOM, for me at least.
  • edited 2011 Dec 18
    I'm using build350 with Doom2.

Edit: Ahhh, I figured it out. It was the soundpack I was using, of all things... How stupid!
  • How can a sound pack affect wall clipping? Sound packs have nothing to do with the actual gameplay or collision detection.
  • The sound pack was replacing sounds using definition files, so I have a feeling it was also somehow changing the object definitions in the process.

I do have another question. I noticed that detail textures are not working on high-res textures. why is that?
  • gary wrote:
    How can a sound pack affect wall clipping? Sound packs have nothing to do with the actual gameplay or collision detection.
    If this is the pack I'm thinking of, the author(s) of said pack unfortunately decided to change numerous thing State and frame definitions for whatever purpose. These definitions are those which define the core behaviour of things, from monsters to the Doomguy himself. Consequently, their mod relies upon these definitions being interpreted exactly the same as the versions they used for basing their mod. Naturally, things have moved on somewhat since then and this mod is no longer compatible because the authors choose to modify the core definitions.

There is a similar issue with many of the "Environment" addon packs which include new MapInfo definitions which override the defaults. Since those addons where made, MapInfo definitions have been expanded with new properties like Par times. Consequently, when using such a mod all the par time information in the default definitions is overruled with a zero value.
    I noticed that detail textures are not working on high-res textures. why is that?
    As far as I am aware detail textures are working correctly, which addon are you using (do you have a link)?
  • The reason Sambo's soundpack altered the mobj defs is because not every original sound type (i.e the see, pain, death sounds etc for the original mobjs) in Doom, in Dday has its own sound def.

Dday has the 'link' option in its sound defs to allow giving each sound its own def without messing up Dehacked support and the like, however only the Heretic sound defs use this feature; every original sound type in Heretic has it's own sound def through use of the 'link' option.

*Ok I say that, there is a single unused sound def in the Doom sound defs that uses the 'link' option, a mysterious sound def called 'chgun'. However the action A_FireCGun still looks at the same sound def the pistol uses leaving this 'chgun' def unused.
  • That may be but the point remains that this mod basically pinned a number to its head the moment it released with altered core definition files. It was going to stop working sooner or later.
  • Dani, I'm using Daniel Norton's old detail texture pack. It seems to work well on non-high-res textures, but not on high-res textures. I couldn't find a download link, so here is mine. I included an info file. Just rename the file to .pk3 and stick it in the Snowberry Addons folder:
    http://filebeam.com/1a85ba067a2c6b5b088086bd2eb39549
  • edited 2011 Dec 18
    I use Sambo's sound pack and never really had much problem with walls. Certainly playable. I think beta 6.8 had a problem with walls though. Now I use later builds beyond 6.9. Faster game loading time, I noticed.

I don't like 1.8.6 because it probably lacks certain graphical features and I remember it was very prone to seg voilations. I almost never get seg violations anymore. I can't remember the last time I did actually. I also remember the dreaded corruption of saved files bug back in 2007 (save and in many cases cannot load the save file or something like that) when I played Eternal for the first time. Good thing that bug is gone for good starting with the beta 6.x series of builds.
  • edited 2011 Dec 18
    The soundpack I have can be easily updated to work with the new object definitions. Of course, it could be broken again in the future if yet more changes are made to the official defs.
  • edited 2011 Dec 18
    DaniJ wrote:
    That may be but the point remains that this mod basically pinned a number to its head the moment it released with altered core definition files. It was going to stop working sooner or later.

That is correct. But maybe the Doom sound defs could be updated to use the link option?

Obviously though, the ideal solution is some way to modify parts of the original defs without having to duplicate the whole thing. Though I imagine something like that is probably not going to even be considered until the next iteration of ded near or post Dday 2.

Hence why I am suggesting updating the Doom sound defs to make use of the feature Dday 1 has to deal with the issue that was mistakenly only applied to Heretic's sound defs. To avoid the issue that has arisen with Sambo’s sound pack, in the future.
  • I agree with you, Vermil. It would be nice to have that capability in the future, so we don't have to redefine all the object defs for changing something as simple as sounds.
  • Dani, I'm using Daniel Norton's old detail texture pack. It seems to work well on non-high-res textures, but not on high-res textures.
    I see the problem, this mod was authored before Doomsday gained Detail definition flags which allow defining when the definition should be used. Evidently Doomsday is failing to select an appropriate default value for these in the case of mods which don't supply usage information. Will fix for Monday's build.

I also agree about using the Link features with sounds (I believe I've already mentioned so when we last talked about it over ICQ, Vermil), its just a matter of getting around to implementing it (determining which sounds need it, etc...). If someone here has the time, feel free to modify the default defs accordingly and submit them for inclusion in a future release.

Edit: Fixed the default usage flags for Detail and Reflection definitions in the master for Monday's build.
  • Wait, is that as simple as adding a "Link = " line into each sound in the audio.ded file and linking it to the appropriate sound, or is there more to it than that?
  • Ok, I'm narrowing down all the bugs. I just noticed a few things in the Jheretic resource pack. The Wall Torch shows flames coming through the floor. Also, some of the weapons are above the bottom of the screen, like the FireMace. Both bugs are in the screenshot below. I'm using this resource pack:
    http://www.filefront.com/17328700/jhrppsy-20100928.pk3/

bugs.jpg
  • I'm currently looking into the issues with jhrp+psy-20100928.pk3, however I immediately notice the following errors in the mod itself:
    Def_GetFlagValue: Undefined flag 'ptf_srcvel'.
    Def_GetFlagValue: Undefined flag 'ptf_srcdir'.
    Def_GetFlagValue: Undefined flag 'gnf_dietouch'.
    W_CheckNumForName: Empty name.
    W_CheckNumForName: "IMPACT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "MUMACT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "KGTACT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "SBTSIT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "SBTATK" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "VOLSHT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "VOLHIT" not found.
    W_CheckNumForName: "SPLASH" not found.
    Warning: Failed to locate model "Particles/FX/RespawnFOG/TeleFog.dmd".
    R_SetupModel: Undefined state 'IMP_XCRASH4'.
    TGA_Load32_rgba8888: I don't know this format!
      (type=1 pxsize=8 abits=8)

• If you are going to upload a new version, can you include the new incredibly awesome item pickups by psychikon? For my own copy of JHRP, I removed the items and item icons so that psychikon's Items Pack v1.1 would not cause conflicts. If you are interested, here is jhrp+psy-20100928.pk3 without the item pickups and icons:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?f53bs4e6k55f64s

And here is psychikon's Item Pack v1.1:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/ ... -Items.zip

I think there were issues when they were used together previously. This makes them compatible. psychikon's item pickups are by far much, much better than the ones in the jhrp.
  • I notice that there are different blood effects and smoke effects. Is that something that was recently added in the new build?
  • It would appear the issues with the particles for the wall torches has already been fixed for Monday's build. It was a result of the breakdown of the algorithm which attempts to unstuck things embedded in walls in Heretic (mainly the torches).

After spending some time looking at the aforementioned pack I have to say that its in a right old mess. There are countless issues in both the definitions (uses of unknown flags, invalid resource names (e.g., "flat-FLOOR21" in Reflection defs)) and the data resources (many missing and unused resources). In fact, there are so many issues I hardly know where to begin trying to debug it. Someone needs to spend some quality time on fixing up the jhrp...