[General Query] A few questions.

13»

Comments

• Why does the Tea Monster cacodemon I'm using look different than those? Yours looks better (in certain ways) and scarier. Maybe that is the updated model pack version of what it looked like before I put Tea Monster's caco in place of it, but the updated pack one has not improved the textures on the inside of the caco model, just textures on the outside.
  • Is there a way to increase/decrease the music volume by pressing two keys on the keyboard? For example, Minus = Volume Down, and Plus = Volume up.
  • Not by default, however you can freely bind controls to commands using the console. For example, to bind ,/. to music volume down/up respectively enter the following in the console:
    alias musicdown "sub music-volume 15; message Music-"
    alias musicup "add music-volume 15; message Music+"
    bindevent key-comma-down musicdown
    bindevent key-period-down musicup

• Awesome, that worked. Thanks!
  • I noticed something strange in map31 of Final Doom TNT. in the area in the screenshots below, the entire outside edge appears as an HOM. Everything appears fine in regular Doom, Doom Builder, and Zdoom, so this must be a Doomsday bug:

tntbug1.jpg
    tntbug2.jpg
    tntbug3.jpg
  • That is a DOOM mapping trick, rather misleadingly known by the moniker "self-referencing linedef/sidedef". In this instance it is being used so that the player appears to be partially submerged in the water, rather than walking on the surface...

In essence this isn't actually a bug because this is technically an invalid map construct, however, the way vanilla DOOM's renderer interprets this invalid scenario results in the rendered floor of the sector being drawn at a different height to the physical one.

Doomsday does not presently emulate this behavior, so "missing, expected functionality", if you will.
  • Looking at those second and third screenshots, I see a pair of texture anomalies in Dday 1.9 (i.e compared to Doom95 and 1.8.6).

The wood frames on either side of the opening, except the right bit of the left one, are offset incorrectly.

The interesting thing is that each of the wood frames are single linedefs (i.e. the bit at the correct height is not a different linedef).

The bit at the correct height, also looks to be 16 units wide, which is the also thickness of the border around the area of water used to create the deep water effect; but the same thing doesn't appear on the other side. I also wouldn't have thought that anything behind the border would be affected by Dday 1.9's lack of support for that rendering hack?
  • As or the cacos, yes, I comfirmed that those are from the updated pack, but after going back and trying it, I think Tea Monster's caco looks better in everyway except that in Tea Monster's version, the death animation isn't as good.

As for the blood effects, I was able to figure out how to get Tea Monster's caco to have the same blood spurt effect as the other caco (since after switching back, pretty much all caco blood effects disappeared, and that wasn't acceptable) by copying the particles entry from the ded of the model pack's caco into the ded of Tea Monster's version. But when I try to copy the death blood splatter entry from the imp ded into the former seargent ded into the same corresponding location, it doesn't do anything, and if anything, might take the blood effects away completely. I guess in many cases, copying entries just won't do, darn it. I tried to experoment with those zombies, but it didn't produce the desired results.
  • While we're on the subject of Map31 of TNT, I noticed something else.

EoXJXl.jpg

See that stump sticking out from the ground? That's a switch you're supposed to activate, and it IS a switch texture, but the TNT team did a terrible job at offsetting the texture to see the switch, unless it was intended. This switch is fround after taking the teleporter right next to you after starting the map (not the one across from you).

For some reason, under Doomsday, I wasn't hearing a switch activated sound being produced. Can anyone else confirm this for me too?
  • edited 2011 Dec 31
    Dday 1.9 has a bug in which the switch sound is played in the middle of the sector the switch is attached to, whereas, it should actually play on top of the player.

Given that the area that those 'switches' (they are suppose to look like blocks of stone and not actual switches) are in is a large sector, the sound may well be incorrectly being played a huge distance away.
  • Actually, the only reason the sound is heard relative to the player in vanilla DOOM is because of a bug in the engine. Doomsday fixed that and now the sounds are played from where they were intended (the center of the sector on the linedef's front side).

Another instance where we need to emulate the original behavior for "correctness".
  • I just noticed something odd with the resource pack. Whenever I switch to the super shotgun (using Dani's model in the newest JDRP), there is a delay before I can fire. So if I am face to face with a monster and am switching to the Super Shotgun, it takes a moment before I can actually shoot. Any idea why that happens?
  • I just noticed something odd with the resource pack. Whenever I switch to the super shotgun (using Dani's model in the newest JDRP), there is a delay before I can fire. So if I am face to face with a monster and am switching to the Super Shotgun, it takes a moment before I can actually shoot. Any idea why that happens?

I noticed that too.. Checked the definitions and the weapon used some extra states for raise weapon animation that doesn't even exist. I went through all the weapon definitions and removed all the extra states, so the weapons behave normal.
  • Can I have those definitions?
  • Maybe this is related to the bug I posted screenshots of earlier in TNT, but all of the bridges that are supposed to be invisible in Plutonia have a slime texture on top with an HOM on the sides in map03. There are plenty of examples of this in the map.
  • Maybe this is related to the bug I posted screenshots of earlier in TNT, but all of the bridges that are supposed to be invisible in Plutonia have a slime texture on top with an HOM on the sides in map03. There are plenty of examples of this in the map.
    Same Similar map hack as above with tnt level 31.
  • Different rendering hack, but still a rendering hack.

Support for all rendering hacks was removed back in the early 1.9 betas in order to be re-written at some point (I say that, rendering hack support is something that probably has to be done on a case by case basis).
  • Is there a way to change the names of user-made levels in Doomsday, or do I have to use a dehacked file?
  • Is there a way to change the names of user-made levels in Doomsday, or do I have to use a dehacked file?

For Doom wads, Dday will automatically take the CWILVxx/WILVxx graphic where one exists and then the Dehacked patch again if one exists.

Heretic has no CWILV eqivilent graphics and no port supports Heretic's eqivilent of Dehacked.

For HeXen, use a MapInfo lump, like you would with Vanilla HeXen.

You can also use Doomsdays own Map Info Ded definitions or Value Ded definitions, in Doom or Heretic to change a map name.
  • Can I have those definitions?

Sure, here are those deds without any extra delays in weapon raise/lower... http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/jdrp ... n_deds.zip

Well, I took away all extra functionality.. like they no longer have idle animation. The old parts of the definitions still exist.. I only commented them away, I was only interested in doing a quick fix.
  • Thanks, JCA! Those deds also fixed a glaring issue with the Plasma gun. Previously, if you started firing as soon as the Plasma Gun was selected, the gun would be below the screen. Now it fires in front of you, even if you hold the fire button down while selecting.

I've come across an annoying issue in Final Doom TNT. The game seems to crash about 50% of the time when I complete a TNT map with resources turned on. It usually gives me a windows error report, or sometimes just freezes completely with no messages at all. To clarify, the crash occurs as soon as I flip the end switch. The game doesn't even get to the statistics screen. I then have to turn off all addons in snowberry, reload the saved game, and try the exit again in order to progress to the next level. It's very annoying. I didn't have this issue in Ultimate Doom, Doom2, or Plutonia. Doomsday.out doesn't seem to provide any hints as to what is going on. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Is there a way to make addons in snowberry appear for only Ultimate Doom, Doom2, or Final Doom? My list of addons is starting to become massive for all the Doom games, even though some of them only apply to one of them. It would be nice, for example, if I could have an addon only appear in the Ultimate Doom addon list, and not Doom2.
  • Hey JCA, have you noticed the weapon delay fix you posted does not work with the newer builds? I can no longer fix the shotgun delay bug, no matter what I do.
  • I've been using build 350... Maybe I should update soon...
  • Actually, I did get it to work. I had to change the load order so the delay fix was first on the list. You'd think it makes logical sense for it to be loaded last, so it would "overwrite" all previously loaded addons. But I guess it's supposed to be loaded first, to take priority over them. A bit confusing.
  • Actually, I did get it to work. I had to change the load order so the delay fix was first on the list. You'd think it makes logical sense for it to be loaded last, so it would "overwrite" all previously loaded addons. But I guess it's supposed to be loaded first, to take priority over them. A bit confusing.

I've had similar issues with the load order in the last builds; that sometimes it would load the first of something, rather than the last, like it should.

It seems somewhat random; I experimented by constantly installing and uninstalling a pair of model add-ons, that each contained models for the same mobs. Sometimes I got the models from the first add-on I checked, other times, the second.

The last loaded add-on is always suppose to take priority; that it isn't always is a bug.