A lighthouse in the storm – Doomsday Blog

edited 2020 Jan 28 in News

imageA lighthouse in the storm – Doomsday Blog

Doomsday Blog

Read the full story here

Comments

• Great effort and such a dedication, kudos! I think Doomsday engine has a solid focus, still the most atmospheric source port for true classic FPS. So wishing you to deftly maneuver on the waves;)
  • Congratulations on becoming a father! Wish you all the the best in you family
  • Congrats on the new baby! I really enjoy Doomsday, and appreciate all the effort you've put into it over the years.

This all sounds really awesome. Despite not mapping for it much anymore, I still use Doomsday for playing Doom more than any other port.

I do have a question, however. Do you think the new renderer would do anything about dynamic light performance? I'm speaking specifically about lights attached to materials or things that are just decorations. When I went back to play one of my old maps, One Doomed Marine, I noticed my GTX 1080 slowing down to ~30fps in some places. Going through some checks, I narrowed the cause of the slowdown to the light decorations. Disabling them led to a solid 60fps... but at the cost of visual fidelity.

This again happened when I tried making a new map for Doomsday just the other day. Point lights are kinda my thing (this was what I started - all the lighting is from light decorations), so I'm just kind of curious.

I wasn't sure if this fit in with your vision for Doomsday, so you'll have to excuse me if it doesn't ^_^;

Now to go compile the new release for myself :D
  • edited 2020 Jan 29
    Thanks for the update and congratulations on becoming a parent.
  • Congratulations on becoming a father!
    Thanks! It has been quite a change, but now after several months it's no longer such chaos any more. (The chaos will likely continue once the little guy learns how to walk. :sweat_smile:)
    Do you think the new renderer would do anything about dynamic light performance? I'm speaking specifically about lights attached to materials or things that are just decorations.
    The current implementation of the new renderer uses deferred lighting. This is specifically intended to allow a large number of light sources to be rendered fast and efficiently on the GPU. So the answer is yes, dynamic light performance should be dramatically better.

I suspect what you're seeing currently is largely due to bottlenecks in the CPU-side processing of the light sources. I haven't profiled ODM with this detail in mind, but the old decoration system does not scale very well — there is a lot of work being repeated needlessly on every frame, even though the decorations haven't changed. (I should do some profiling and see if there are some quick fixes to apply.)

• @skyjake, I know how it feels, my kid is at 11 months now. Thanks for continuing on your support of the doomsday engine