Suggestion: Detail Texture scale X AND Y

edited 2009 Dec 18 in General
    Such as it is, the detail textures are only allowed one aspect, and that's 1:1 - making it impossible to do 'certain things' ... And it would be quite useful for such things as I'm going to use them to. :) So, here's the point.
suggestionscreen1.th.jpg
The current versions of Doomsday Engine do not support detail texture scaling in other ways than shrinking the texture to a 1:1 and then down/up-sizing them, which depends on what way the .DED make it do it.
But it would be much better if we had two scaling options, one X, and the other one, Y. Horizontal/Vertical scale.

As it could make possible making detail textures especially for textures with a aspect other than 1:1 (2:1/1:2)
Well, I think that's enough.. I think.
Images-Hack-Us XD

Comments

• I do not see how this would be of benefit. What are you trying to achieve?
  • edited 2009 Dec 18
    As is, I'm currently trying to make detail textures for every texture/flat in the "DHTP" that needs some extra depth.
    And only few textures are in a 1:1 aspect. Most are either 1:2 or 2:1

Edit: Euugh, I missed the point.

..Thus forcing to either make a half of the texture the detail texture, or make textures for them that don't look like them. They'll still add some depth, but it won't be quite as effective as doing it with the texture itself.
  • Yes but that still doesn't explain what you are trying to do. For example, are you trying to overlay an original texture with a detail texture scaled to the same dimensions as the underlying texture? If so, that is unnecessary and it would be much more efficient to combine the detail texture and the original texture into a new hires texture.
  • edited 2009 Dec 19
    DaniJ wrote:
    ..That is unnecessary and it would be much more efficient to combine the detail texture and the original texture into a new hires texture.

I just don't see how it could be better.. question.png
    As this is the one merged with it. mergedwithdetail.th.jpg
    And this one is just the texture rendered with the detail texture. withdetail.th.jpg

Although it might be because I don't know how to combine them correctly.

Fixing the darkness problem isn't difficult. As you can just set it's strength down in the DED file.
  • Blox wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    ..That is unnecessary and it would be much more efficient to combine the detail texture and the original texture into a new hires texture.

I just don't see how it could be better...
    Although Doomsday does not currently do this, I hope that in future it will be able to do it automatically in cases such as this. The reason being that it is simply more efficient to render as when using a separate detail texture it requires either a spare texture unit (thus forcing dynamic lights to use additional geometry) or another render pass.
    Although it might be because I don't know how to combine them correctly.
    Yes, from the looks of it you need to tweak your detail texture, right now it looks much too dark. Doomsday will automatically equalize and boost the contrast of all loaded detail textures but when combining them manually you will need to do the same.