Doom 2 "Missing data files"

edited 2017 Sep 27 in DOOM
I've looked everywhere for a fix to this and it looks like I'm the only one that's ever had this problem. When I try to play Doom 2, the default entry says "missing data files" and will not play. If I create a custom entry using the same .wad file it works just fine. Anyone know what's going on? (Also, covered in a previous post, I cannot turn left while sprinting, but I can turn right)

Comments

• edited 2017 Sep 27
    Delete the two files listed below. Doomsday recreates them on the next start and reparses its subfolder ".\Doomsday\data" for any available DOOM/DOOM2/Heretic/Hexen main WAD file.
    "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\persist.pack"

"c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\game.dei"

If you have installed any of these games in different locations you can setup each game path via the DataFiles menu, available from Doomsday's TaskBar.

QiJvFFp.jpg

Regarding your keyboard issue check my post here.
  • edited 2017 Sep 27
    Done. No change. As far as the keyboard thing goes, I can turn left when I'm not running, I just can't turn when I'm holding down the shift key. Or if I hold down the left button first, then I can't run.
  • If not already the case try copying Doom.wad and/or Doom2.wad into Doomsday's \data subfolder, then again delete the two files I mentioned in my previous post. If Doomsday still does not detect the games there's a chance that you do not have the proper main WAD files available.

Regarding your Keyboard issue please continue in the related thread.
  • Have tried that already. They won't work with the default menu item, but if I create another one for Doom 2 they work.
  • Which version of Doomsday are you using, and which version of Doom2?
  • Latest stable, and I don't know. How do you tell what version your wad file is?
  • Caboose30 wrote: »
    How do you tell what version your wad file is?
    The file size is maybe the easiest way. This should help you identify it: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM2.WAD
  • I have version 1.666g.
  • edited 2017 Sep 28
    That's the initial release of DOOM2 - German Version. Doomsday is not aware of this version and therefore does not detect it as a valid game file.

You can patch DOOM2.WAD to the latest official release v1.9 using this tool: IWADPatcher v1.2

How to patch DOOM2.WAD to v1.9:
    1. copy iwadpatcher.exe to your DOOM2.WAD location
    2. run iwadpatcher.exe with the following command line:
      iwadpatcher.exe -Odoom2_new.wad doom2.wad

3. optionally backup your old v1.666g DOOM2.WAD (e.g. copy DOOM2.WAD to DOOM2_OLD.WAD)
    4. overwrite your old DOOM2.WAD with DOOM2_NEW.WAD (rename DOOM2_NEW.WAD to DOOM2.WAD)

To verify that Doomsday detects the new DOOM2.WAD you've just created, simply delete the two files persist.pack and game.dei, as described in my first post above.

Happy DOOMing! :)
  • Hey, it works! Thank you so much! Now I just need to solve the keyboard issue and I can play this game with impunity.
  • Me again! I don't know if anyone will see this or not but... I had a reinstall of W10 recently and tried to do Doomsday again, the same keyboard issue persists. This time I installed it in Linux with the same issue. I saw that there's an unstable build 2.1 but I can't download it, it takes me to a blank page.

A problem I had was when using the iwad patcher, nothing happens. It just kicks back the instruction sheet like I didn't type in any arguments.

I found out that windows PowerShell (which for whatever reason is replacing the command prompt) will not use this program properly, but the command prompt works just fine. Sorry it's been a while, I had other priorities and only recently remembered this. I'mma try the keyboard capture thingie soon.
  • Caboose30 wrote: »
    I saw that there's an unstable build 2.1 but I can't download it, it takes me to a blank page.
    Which download link did you try? I'll check if there is a problem... At least I managed to download the 2.1 builds ok just now.
  • skyjake wrote: »
    Caboose30 wrote: »
    I saw that there's an unstable build 2.1 but I can't download it, it takes me to a blank page.
    Which download link did you try? I'll check if there is a problem... At least I managed to download the 2.1 builds ok just now.

The windows ones, the .zip and .msi. I tried it in Linux too and again it just takes me to a blank page.
  • now for your keyboard issue are you only using the keyboard if so then it's a keyboard issue it's self not the game as some keyboards wile pressing certain buttons will lock others. i have had this before. hope this helps.
  • Gordon wrote: »
    now for your keyboard issue are you only using the keyboard if so then it's a keyboard issue it's self not the game as some keyboards wile pressing certain buttons will lock others. i have had this before. hope this helps.

Interesting, I haven't had that issue in other games. Is there a workaround that you know of?
  • nope it's a hard limitation of the keyboard it's self and the software that controls the keyboard.
  • edited 2018 Oct 7
    Perhaps it isn't the keyboard itself, but language settings in your OS. I saw that your Doom2 wad was a German wad; are you from Germany and put your keyboard settings on both Windows and Linux to German keyboard?

Because I know a certain key combinations will tell the OS in German langauge mode to write a German letter or sign, like the umlaut or German s looks a bit like B with the next key press, and can lock out certain keys because it expects by the language only certain keys next.

If your keyboard language is not English, check which key you used for turn left and the other keys in Doomsday and check whether that key has such function attached to it, and if one of the keys you press before turn left sets such a function; it's possibly that for example you click the key-combination for "umlaut a", the OS gives "umlaut a" to Doomsday when it expects just an a and Doomsday doesn't recognize it.

If this is the case there are two solutions; 1. change the controls in Doomsday so such a key-combination isn't part of your control method; or 2. change the keyboard language, best use English/US.
  • Am having a similar problem, but haven't used a computer since WinXP.. qdp52bnairep.jpg
    Was playing Doom2 for weeks, then suddenly Windows 10 decided it can't see any "playable games" anymore. Have uninstalled/reinstalled/changed to previous dengine versions, then removed entries from the registry, looked for "persist.(whatever)", "clear'ed cache", and before I quit trying, the console also said Doom2.WAD was German. None of the Ultimate Doom /2/TNT/Plutonia WADS are recognized, even if I change the .WAD names.
    Didn't change anything in my system (that I was aware of), the engine simply decided not to start up anymore.
    Have found a couple entries about this, but it's all outdated. What am I doing wrong?
  • 3DMaster: Am in North America, but months ago when I bought this laptop, I'd set the keyboard to German. Since then it's been exclusively "English (United States) - US". Thank you for the info, I hadn't thought about that.

Gordon: I use the WASD + mouse format. Think it was after a system reset this issue started. Have to reset on occasion because the mouse response gets delayed and this seems the only way to fix it (and it's Windows10, not the engine).

Caboose30: Yesterday I downloaded and installed Doomsday 2.3.1 (32-bit) and the problem was still here. Uninstalled that and installed 64-bit with the same result. Thinking about it, though doubtful, my 4 .WADs (Doom2 1.9/Ultimate Doom 1.9/Plutonia & TNT) are old: (8-29-94/5-25-95/2-22-96, respectively). Doom 2 (in English) runs in DOSBox-X just fine [and seems I ran a .DEH file on the .EXE; so much has changed in 20 years!]. Both the stable build .MSI links for Windows worked for me.

deus-ex: None of the iWADs are detected. The pic posted shows it doesn't see anything at all. Even renaming them ( i.e. 2_Doom2.WAD) shows nil. Have my old Doom 2 CD-ROM (v1.4?) in storage, but I need to buy a drive to run it. Had previously looked for "persist.pack" but "game.dei" is new... -- Mein Lieben, that was it! Removing the persistant.pack file reset the loader but still found no playable iWADs, but deleting game.dei resolved most of the problem. It still thinks the German Doom2.WAD is missing data files. [later...] Copying the Doom2.WAD from the DOSBox-X directory to the Doomsday231 directory showed a difference in dates: 8-29-94 and 1-31-95. ... But that was it; I have two different versions of the Doom2.WAD and Doomsday sees the 1995 .WAD.

skyjake: Thank you for the link to ID my .WAD file.

Thank you so much for your input everybody, this was an unexpected problem I couldn't resolve on my own. Your support was most helpful. As deus-ex says: Happy DOOMing!
  • NAPNAP
    edited 2022 Jan 12
    Once Again Onto The Beach, meine Programmierfreunde!

Same occurrence happened again; "No playable games". Deleted C:\...\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\game.dei and that restored gameplayability. Had to reload the mods, but that's a minor inconvenience.
    Packages added are:
    Abbspack Fullpack v7.1 (deus-ex fixed edition).pk3
    deng-dhtp-20171001.pk3

and:
    jdrp.box-20070404.zip
    and unpacked:
    com.hiriwa.dhmp.20211111.zip
    plus my own values.ded, in which I only change values regarding health/sphere and shot values.

Please let me know if there's something else that needs posting, and will update this post if anything changes.