Doom 2 No Rest for the Living Episode Doom 3 BFG Edition

edited 2018 May 14 in DOOM
Hi there. skyjake asked to post a little about the preliminary support of the Engine in this BGF Edition episode. I played for about ten minutes, and this was the result:

1) FPS is low, between 10 and 20, but my computer is a Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, with 4 GB of RAM, an Intel DP35DP Motherboard, and an MSI Nvidia N560GTX, so the computer is a little slow. One thing to add, the Engine works perfectly at 60 FPS in small spaces, the problem starts only in big spaces, and the very first level of the episode is rather big, with a lot of windows, you can mostly see outside the whole time, so I'm thinking it's the same problem I had with Hexen: a little optimization for big places.

2) The textures, the 3d models, everything graphically speaking, is perfectly well rendered.

3) The music doesn't work, I tried in both BFG Edition Hell on Earth episode and No Rest for the Living episode with and without the addons, but the music sounds extremely... "faltering"? (that's the translation that google gave me to "entrecortado"), it's like it sounds for one second, and the next two or three it doesn't. I remember that there was GeneraluserGS as a MIDI player, I'm not certain if this is correct, or it's a generic MIDI player that the engine found because it didn't have one selected (I rathered not tinker with it); and the CD plugin was Windows Multimedia, which again I'm not sure if it's correct, but I rathered not tinker with it.

4) I started the episode in Hurt Me Plenty, and so far I can say that the damage done by the enemies is correct, the recovery of medikits works too (each and every one), the armor and health bonus is correct... This has a name, which I can't remember right now, I believe it's called the "logic" of the game.

5) Although the music doesn't work, I'm playing in 7.1 surround sound, and the sound is outstanding, not a single problem, not even in the low FPS of my computer, the 3d is flawless.

6) I remember a file that contained detailed information about the execution of the engine, what it called "doomsday.out"? If that's the one, I thought about posting it, but this is all that the file contained:

Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\Bin\Doomsday.exe
Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
Config::read: modules/Config matches version [ 2, 0, 0, 1857 ]

I'm not sure this was the file, I remember there was another that had a lot of info, so I'll ask if anyone can tell me which is it, so I post the whole info about the playing.

Comments

• edited 2018 May 16
    6) You posted an Doomsday.out from an quite old Doomsday build v1.15.8 released in February 2016, which isn't capable of running "DOOM: No Rest for the Living". Most probably you found this old log file in this folder:
    C:\Users\%username%\Documents\

For the current Doomsday v2.1 unstable builds, which you have to use in order to be able to play "DOOM: No Rest for the Living", you have to look for Doomsday.out in this folder:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\

3) A better fitting translation for "entrecortado" would be either "sluggish" or "choppy". Check this thread where I describe how to get MIDI music output working in DOOMSDAY 2.1 unstable builds for Windows.
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    6) You posted an Doomsday.out from an quite old Doomsday build v1.15.8 released in February 2016, which isn't capable of running "DOOM: No Rest for the Living". Most probably you found this old log file in this folder:
    C:\Users\%username%\Documents\

For the current Doomsday v2.1 unstable builds, which you have to use in order to be able to play "DOOM: No Rest for the Living", you have to look for Doomsday.out in this folder:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\

Thanks a lot, deus-ex. Here it is (I renamed the extension to .txt):

http://talk.dengine.net/uploads/editor/kf/di67hn76er7u.txt
    deus-ex wrote: »
    3) A better fitting translation for "entrecortado" would be either "sluggish" or "choppy".

Yup, thanks for that too. I'm really not used to writing or speaking in english, just listening and reading, mostly.
    deus-ex wrote: »
    Check this thread where I describe how to get MIDI music output working in DOOMSDAY 2.1 unstable builds for Windows.

Thanks. When I play the game, I'll take a good look at your post about the music, but from what I could see, the music sounds exactly as you describe it in your post.

• deus-ex wrote: »
    6)Check url=http://talk.dengine.net/discussion/2472/build-2398-2399-music-volume-alters-sound-volume]this thread[/url] where I describe how to get MIDI music output working in DOOMSDAY 2.1 unstable builds for Windows.

Worked like a Charm, deux-ex. I downloaded the MIDI you provided in your post, and selected Fluidsynth as the music plugin, now I got the music working amazingly in every game I tried!! The music is excellent.

One thing: could anyone tell me if you need me to make a specific test of some sort? Anything that can help you in any way. While I'm no skilled programmer (the last progamming I did was in 2004 in Dephi 3, in high school, and binary trees in linear C before that), I know how to use a command line if I know the commands. From what I've played so far, the game works perfectly, leaving aside what I described before.