Hud weapon models suck -> alternatives?

edited 2017 Jun 6 in Addons for DOOM
So the hud weapon models completely suck, I couldn't even see the bloody chaingun, it was completely obscured by a tiny hud bar; so I turned them off; and found the original sprites rather blurred and pixely, obviously.

Looked around to alternatives to the jdoom pack; found two that work with higher res sprites: Smooth Doom and Beautiful Doom.

So I was wondering if they work with the Doomsday Engine?

Comments

• 3DMaster wrote: »
    I couldn't even see the bloody chainsaw, it was completely obscured by a tiny hud bar
    Have you tried setting the "rend-hud-fov-shift" cvar to zero? (Type "rend-hud-fov-shift 0" in the console when a game is loaded.)

That will raise the weapons higher, which will make them more visible with non-4:3 display resolutions.

Plus there's the option of hiding the status bar...

I haven't tried high-res HUD sprites myself so I can't comment on those.
  • edited 2017 Jun 13
    It will indeed raise the weapons higher, but I just don't like the models; the shotgun shoots fully first and only then jerks upward for example, while the sprite moves up and shoots at the same time. They neither look, nor feel, like the original weapons, and I just love the original ones way more.

I haven't tried the sprites yet either; I can see about loading the whole package removing conflicting stuff, but just picking out the weapons is impossible; Doomsday shows both the whole package and the individual components in the package; but those components don't have neatly descriptive names; they're just meaningless letters and numbers, so no way to pick out only the hud weapons.

I doubt loading them both is going to do much; I really like Reinhtard's? doomguy portrait and further hud stuff who's on this forum; however unlike the jDoom package where you can configure individual components, you can't with these. Result; if I load both I get the normal high-res user interface, if I load his only, I only get the hud, not the highres letters and numbers and the highrest opening screens.
  • edited 2017 Jun 17
    I used to use Abbspack, which is the best HUD weapon pack I've ever seen for Doom. Unfortunately, I have not discovered any method of getting it to work with Doomsday2 despite hours of trying various methods, and must conclude that it's impossible.

I don't particularly like the HUD weapon models either, but other than someone who is really qualified working out how to get Abbspack to work, or a new addon altogether, I guess we're stuck with them.
  • It's been some years but I remembered it....

http://dengine.net/talk/discussion/1040/risen-3d-model-pack/p1

so it is possible... downloaded it....but can't remember the name.....
  • Tea monster and I have started on new his models. But it's a lot of work and is taking some time to do, as we are also working on minsters and things
  • The Risen pack models look even worse.
  • I used to use Abbspack, which is the best HUD weapon pack I've ever seen for Doom.
    The Abbspack hasn't aged that well. By todays standards it isn't quite looking as good as it used to do back then.

The HUD weapons from the jDRP pack by Dani J however are still looking quite good, except for the Fists, Chainsaw and Pistol. The Fists and Chainsaw models actually weren't made by Dani J but were meant as placeholders until he would get to create replacements of his own. But during the creation of the jDRP Dani J got "distracted" (pun intended) with coding for Doomsday for a couple years instead. Unfortunately meanwhile he has vanished due to real life reasons (Job, Family, etc.) like we all have to face and cope with.
    Unfortunately, I have not discovered any method of getting it to work with Doomsday2 despite hours of trying various methods, and must conclude that it's impossible.
    Well, not quite impossible. Check here.

• Thanks for that. Unfortunately I still can't use the pack - it just says 'selected packages missing' when I try to install it, so no luck there.

I'm sure the new HUD weapons for the jDRP will be superb, but obviously they are not useable yet. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for them to be released :)

• Hi, I answered to your similar post in the Abbs Support for 2.0+ thread.
  • Now this is what I'm talking about; https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-hd-weapons-and-objects/#7093046

Sadly Doomsday doesn't do anything with the base package.
  • Doomsday supports external sprite replacements, just like ZDoom.

Just, likely, a different folder structure.