Trying to start server, but doesn't start

I'm trying to set up a server to play co-op with a friend on my local network, but the server is not starting up
Application path: C:\Program Files\Doomsday 2.0.0\bin\doomsday-server.exe
Build: 2.0-Stable [#2281]
Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
Using command-line WAD folder: C:\Users\MYPC\Downloads\Doom
Executable: Doomsday Engine 2.0.0 (Stable 64-bit #2281) Apr  1 2017 03:19:01
Command line options:
  0: C:\Program Files\Doomsday 2.0.0\bin\doomsday-server.exe
  1: -basedir
  2: C:\Program Files\Doomsday 2.0.0/
  3: -userdir
  4: C:\Users\MYPC\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime/
  5: -errors
  6: doomsday-errors.out
  7: -game
  8: doom2
  9: -cmd
  10: net-ip-port 13209
  11: -cmd
  12: server-name "be"
  13: -cmd
  14: server-password ""
  15: -cmd
  16: server-public 0
  17: -iwad
  18: C:\Users\MYPC\Downloads\Doom/

If anyone could help, me this would be great

Comments

• Is anything printed to C:\Users\MYPC\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime\doomsday-errors.out ?
  • edited 2017 Apr 26
    No, nothing is printed in that file. it's not even created, so I expect there's no actual errors.

I'm running Windows 8.1 if that helps. I can do everything, join mp games and all, just can't set them up.

Is there any specific software requirement for the shell to work? Maybe there's some software I don't have installed.
  • Hi skyjake,
    I'm having the exact same issue as fabrice. It's the damnedest thing, because just yesterday it was working flawlessly.

I even cleaned out my ...\AppData\Local\Deng Team\ directory, and installed a clean copy of 2.0.0.

When attempting to run a very basic (no packages) Ultimate-DOOM on a local server, the UI pauses for 1 to 2 seconds, then returns w/ "Disconnected". In the console, it merely states the single line, "Starting local server on port 13209 using game mode 'doom1-ultimate''.

Same as fabrice, I can join a sample MP game, no doomsday-errors.out file (even though there is a doomsday.out & persist.pack at that directory.

Running Windows7x64, no changes, no patches, no driver updates since yesterday.

Is it possible that the Doomsday Shell utility is attempting (and failing) to do some sort of background sync with a master server before launching the local server, even though the public-server checkbox is cleared?
  • Update - I was able to get around the roadblock as follows.

I noticed that in \server-runtime\ there was no configs\ directory nor the file "game.dei". Past troubleshooting experience in another thread helped me remember this oddity.

So I navigated to \runtime\configs\, and copied both over to server-runtime\, restarted Doomsday shell.exe and can now successfully start a local server & join it.

Example:
    1. (File) ...\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\game.dei -> ...\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime\game.dei.

2. (Directory) ...\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\doom\* -> ...\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime\configs\* (note you may have to create the configs directory manually)

I'm pretty sure that I 'overshot the target', meaning not all the files listed above are actually needed to satisfy Doomsday Shell.

But fabrice, try that out & advise. Not sure why this is occurring, but this may help in the short term.
  • In hindsight, I suppose I should mention that from my earlier post there was one "tiny" change from yesterday & today. I was testing out a recompiled installation script and in order to fully test it out, I had manually deleted ...\AppData\Local\Deng Team\ prior to execution.

Didn't think that trivial detail would have mattered, but in light of the possible work-around it does make sense to me now why D.S. worked yesterday and not today. Theory: what's unexplained is why the Doomsday Shell is not auto-creating the files|directories as of today. Very very strange...
  • guessed909 wrote: »
    Update - I was able to get around the roadblock as follows.

I noticed that in \server-runtime\ there was no configs\ directory nor the file "game.dei". Past troubleshooting experience in another thread helped me remember this oddity.

So I navigated to \runtime\configs\, and copied both over to server-runtime\, restarted Doomsday shell.exe and can now successfully start a local server & join it.

Example:
    1. (File) ...\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\game.dei -> ...\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime\game.dei.

2. (Directory) ...\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\doom\* -> ...\Doomsday Engine\server-runtime\configs\* (note you may have to create the configs directory manually)

I'm pretty sure that I 'overshot the target', meaning not all the files listed above are actually needed to satisfy Doomsday Shell.

But fabrice, try that out & advise. Not sure why this is occurring, but this may help in the short term.

I'll give this a try when I get out of bed :smile: Thanks @guessed909
  • @guessed909 @skyjake

The way to fix this is as guessed posted. plz close