DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

Comments

• Also some of the models, like veirdo's, are in FBX format because that has better support for exporting from modeling tools.

While many of the animations and materials can be specified in the model file itself, a substantial amount of information is Doomsday dependent, for instance scripted damage behaviors.
  • Thank you for the replies. I'd like to see Tei-Tenga ported to Doomsday, if that were possible. Someone on the Tei-Tenga moddb page was asking about it supporting Brutal Doom, and the developer responded that lots of stuff would have to be ported and it probably won't work.

In any event, the Tei-Tenga mod is really great, new weapons, enhanced lighting, new enemies, etc. and with the addition of doom updated with GZDoom to 1920x1080, freelook, jump, crouch, surround sound, etc. it's even better. With 3D models it would be epic.
  • edited 2016 Jan 8
  • Really great work! Lots of great pixels there to blast! Please keep us posted, I hope to see these and any other models possessing my Doom install soon :))
  • Any news? Any new videos? It would be great to be able to play with these models and the ones for Heretic look great too!
  • triantac wrote:
    Any news? Any new videos? It would be great to be able to play with these models and the ones for Heretic look great too!

Is there any other place to find out about these models? I really am a fan of voxels and 3d mods, these models are making me want to play doom again with them.

I'm enjoying the cubeworld alpha release at the moment for it's great use of voxels to make the world feel like it has weight. It's satisfying my retro looking updated game needs atm.

I hope you are making some progress. When these are done lots of people will oohhh and ahhh like for brutal doom.
  • We are working on making models, but none are ready to show sorry.

They will be coming, and we hope to have some ready for the stable doomsday 2.0 release
  • KuriKai wrote:
    We are working on making models, but none are ready to show sorry.

They will be coming, and we hope to have some ready for the stable doomsday 2.0 release

So excited, thank you! The work so far looks amazing!
  • Things are moving along well. I recently decided to re-work the Cacodemon (again!). He looks much better. Things are progressing well and we should have something to show off sooner rather than later.
  • Great update! I'm looking forward to the release, so many projects and games these days, this one is right up there as a must watch!
  • How are things going? I still would like to see these baddies finished. Any news? Are you busy playing the new DooM? ;)
  • I'm texturing the Cyberdemon in DDO, and I've just got the Spider Mastermind baked off to the low poly, so going well. Probably when the Spider is textured, we'll release a group photo.

... And yes, I was playing a LOT of new Doom, it's great and a lot of fun.
  • Great to hear! I notice you are also active in the Duke3d community. Thanks for all your work. I hope you get recognized either with a good paid modeling job for your work, or something of value to you. Your work is extremely high quality. I am also glad that the new DooM has not capitalized all your time, it's too fun!
  • We are just tidying up some texture/shader issues and we will be releasing these soon.

a2063rF.jpg
  • just awesome :)

will these models also benefit from the new model format, although they are static ones?
  • Looks great, I appreciate your wear-with-all to complete this project. I can imagine it is quite a bit of work, I would like to see some write ups on the net or games magazines to announce your work. Keeping classic Doom alive you are mates!
  • Thanks!

These are all in the new model format (FBX) and in Doomsday will be using the new renderer with normal, specular, gloss and reflection maps.

We'll have some in-game shots up soon.
  • Looking good!
  • Thanks. We'll have a youtube vid up of the models in action soon. We are coordinating a release to coincide with the release of the new version.

Meanwhile...

DH2ez0H.jpg
  • Here is a quick ingame preview of the cacodemon
    https://imgur.com/PqZc0Nr
  • wow can't wait to play with him :D
  • Dhmp has finally been released.

14 models are included in the pack
    shotgun shells
    armourbonus
    beserker
    healthbonus
    cacodemon
    bigtree
    the skull pillars
    postlight
    stalagmite
    techpillar
    torched tree
    medikit
    stimpack

it can be downloaded at http://dhmp.hiriwa.com
    instructions to install are at https://github.com/KuriKai/DHMP/wiki/Installation
    you can report bugs here https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp/issues
  • wow finally the release :)

very beautiful models, but is the very intense light emitting intended? For example with the medikit/red pillar?

Will there be also a pack with high resolution textures? The texture of the big tree looks a bit blurry... at least on my system...
  • when ingame press "~" to access the console and then type the command
    rend-bloom 0

this will turn off doomsdays default bloom as it does make some thigns too bright
  • thx for the hint.... looking better now....in my opinion..... :)
  • The new dhmp is certainly looking very good indeed, congratulations Kurikai! However, the orientation of some seems less than optimal. On the very first level of Doom 2 the armuorbonuses are all facing the wall and the stimpack is facing a support pillar so it looks just like a white box.

Is there a problem with object orientation in Doomsday 2 or is it something else?
  • edited 2017 Apr 4
    John wrote:
    Is there a problem with object orientation in Doomsday 2 or is it something else?
    I believe this is simply caused by objects in Doom maps not having any reasonable angles (since the sprites look the same from all directions), and the 3D models using these existing angles.

Doomsday adjusts some objects' angles (like wall torches in Heretic/Hexen) so they don't stick out, but most objects are not modified.

Hmm, it might be worthwhile to extend the automatic angle adjustment to more objects...

EDIT: Found a 12-year old feature request. :)https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/1361
  • skyjake wrote: »
    I believe this is simply caused by objects in Doom maps not having any reasonable angles (since the sprites look the same from all directions), and the 3D models using these existing angles.

Doomsday adjusts some objects' angles (like wall torches in Heretic/Hexen) so they don't stick out, but most objects are not modified.

Hmm, it might be worthwhile to extend the automatic angle adjustment to more objects...

EDIT: Found a 12-year old feature request. :)https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/1361

This would be one solution, but a more elegant solution which gives authors full control would be to implement so called Maphacks as Eduke32 uses them. I do not know how exactly they work there, but one way it could be done is by specifying a thing and give it the X/Y coordinates in the map and then specify an angle for said thing. If said thing is found at the corresponding coordinates, then it will get turned. The best way would be that only the model gets turned visually, as this will prevent the game to get asynchron in multiplayer games.
    Another attempt would be to go by ID, as I imagine that every object in a map has a unique ID. The only question is, if that ID is always the same...

With this the author would get full control on how he wants to turn the object.