Kudos for such a slick engine :)

edited 2016 Jun 1 in General
Hi, this is the first time I tried Doomsday. Sometimes I have to go back to the classics to remind me how advanced something like Far Cry 4 is. I was fishing around for a good Doom engine source port and found Doomsday. After some initial confusion; where was the slick in game menu I'd seen ? I found I had to start the front end first then go into the game. I then found one of slickest source ports I've ever seen. The game looks great B-) I had to disable some of the materials settings to bring back that pixellated look which I prefer to bilinear filtered textures. But the balance of staying true to the original game and adding some new features is perfect. At no point did I feel that new effects looked out of place. The in game menu is really nice with the settings being changed in realtime in the engine. Kudos to the developers for a very nice piece of coding. I made a video to show the in game menu and how the changes can be seen in realtime - https://youtu.be/pc0Qt7dTI4I

Comments

• Glad to hear you like it. :)
  • Yeah, love it. Only things I can't work out so far is why the in game demo does not play. For Steam Heretic the Dosbox version goes into demo mode after a short while but Doomsday just switches between the title and credit screens. I have givin it the main Heretic directory thinking that the "attract mode" demo is a seperate file but it still won't play it.

I am also wondering how to start into the pre game selection screen (after the front end) as I quite like it but it only seems to come up in certain circumstances.
  • Unfortunately, Doomsday doesn't support the original in-game demos from the WADs. The demos rely on gameplay timing and controls that exactly match the original games. This goes as far as requiring random numbers to be generated in the same sequence as originally.

At the moment, Doomsday doesn't support any kind of demos.

If you start Doomsday directly via the Doomsday.exe executable, it will start in the Home screen, although in currently available releases it doesn't offer options for loading add-ons.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Unfortunately, Doomsday doesn't support the original in-game demos from the WADs. The demos rely on gameplay timing and controls that exactly match the original games. This goes as far as requiring random numbers to be generated in the same sequence as originally.

Ah, so that's why ;). Does this effect demo's in the Dosbox version as well, I thought the in game one looked a bit wonky ?
    skyjake wrote:
    At the moment, Doomsday doesn't support any kind of demos.

Maybe on the future ? Might be nice to have user made in game demo's that cycle or something like that.
    If you start Doomsday directly via the Doomsday.exe executable, it will start in the Home screen, although in currently available releases it doesn't offer options for loading add-ons.

Right got it now :)). For some reason it has not found the settings made from when I was using Snowberry, but could be something stupid that I'm doing.
  • Hey djbarney! Greetings! I'm with you, DE absolutely rocks! And SkyJake is clearly a gifted software developer! But y'know the most incredible part? He's been working on DE for - well - a LONNNG time! LOL To keep evolving 1 project for THIS many years is just incredible, and I have great respect for him (as I was around back in those days!)

Just wanted to add to your kudos :-)