Hexen vs Hexen v1.0

edited 2015 Dec 13 in Hexen
I bought the original Hexen years ago, and DE loads the hexen.wad just fine.
But I see in the games list "Hexen v1.0".
I've been looking around intarwebs but I haven't seen anything telling the difference.
Can some kind person enlighten me?
I'm trying to get a handle on which wad file name goes with which DE game name.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also have Hexen-DK which loads fine but doesn't appear to be v1.0.
On the web I have seen Hexen, Hexen II and Hexen DK, but nothing saying v1.0.
The two wads I have are hexen.wad and hexdd.wad.

Comments

• I believe that v1.0 is the demo or shareware version.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    I believe that v1.0 is the demo or shareware version.

Ah ok - thanks!
    Strange that for Doom and Heretic they call it shareware! Now I notice that there is no Hexen Shareware listed!
    I'm not sure why DE would list shareware versions if you have the registered wad. Is there anything in the shareware that's not in the registered? Maybe SkyJake or a dev member can comment.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification!
  • PostFatle that is incorrect as hexen 1.0 is the none patched version. there was a problem with hexen DK where it had no music and so hexen got a patch to address this and thus if playing hexen dk with the hexen 1.0 wad you will not have music in hexen dk.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    I believe that v1.0 is the demo or shareware version.
    Actually, the demo/beta Hexen has its own game mode. The v1.0 Hexen should be the one that was shipped on the original CDs. I'm not sure if they shipped v1.1 on CDs or was it only available as a patch.

Anyway, the two versions are largely interchangeable as Gordon says.
  • Thanks for clearing that up. I'd forgotten about unpatched/patched.
  • 1.1 was never on cd it was always a patch it fix problems with hexen DK as far as i am aware.
  • Gordon wrote:
    1.1 was never on cd it was always a patch it fix problems with hexen DK as far as i am aware.

No. There is HeXen 1.0, HeXen 1.1, HeXen DK 1.0 and HeXen DK 1.1. As far as I am aware, there was no physical release of 1.1 of either game back in the day.

HeXen 1.1 added 8 player support to HeXen (map starts, additional player colours etc) and externalized the text screen text to wad lumps (allowing modders to edit them). It also made at least one map modification to remove an exploit on Castle of Greif that allowed players to skip near all the hub.

HeXen DK requires HeXen 1.1 because it's maps have player 5-8 starts on them and it uses 1.1's externalized text screens. The HeXen DK CD includes a copy of the HeXen 1.1 patch and it's installer forces users to install the HeXen 1.1 patch before installing HeXen DK.

HeXen DK then got a 1.1 patch itself, which added a wad lump that the original HeXen DK 1.0 release was missing; the lump that assigned non-CD music to the maps (the lump that assigned CD music to the maps was present in HeXen DK 1.0).
  • you are right.
  • edited 2017 May 7
    Just realized that the rain effects work fine with Hexen (1.1) but not at all with Hexen 1.0. Any ideas as to why?