Setting up Multiplayer

edited 2015 Sep 23 in General
Hi there. Quick question: I noticed that when playing in multiplayer mode, there are more weapons, more ammo, and weapons and ammo that aren't there in single player (in Heretic, for example, in the first level of the first episode, there's ammo for the hellstaff and the hellstaff itself if I remember correctly). I'd like that there was only the weapons and the ammo that it's there in single player. I'd also like that there wasn't friendly fire, so my friend and I don't hurt each other with our shots. Could anybody tell me wich commands should I type in the shell in order to achieve both things in heretic, please? I'm asking because I've seen the list of commands of the shell, and it's huge, and it would take me a lot of time to learn how to handle them all.
Thanks in advance!!
P.S.: Also, is there currently any way to save the game in multiplayer?

Comments

• it's like that if you play it in dos/dosbox multyplayer.
  • In Vanilla Doom and Heretic, things in the gameworld can only be flagged single player or multiplayer. There was no way to flag a thing for Deathmatch or co-op separately. Generally speaking the Iwad maps placed there multiplayer flagged items for the Deeathmatch game mode over co-op.

There doesn't appear to be cvar's for Heretic to do any of the things you wish. Only for Doom...

This cvar will remove multiplayer flagged weapons in Doom: http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... -noweapons. But I recall this one being broken long long ago.

These cvars will disable friendly fire in Doom; the first meant for co-op and the second for team deathmatch:
    http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... p-nodamage
    http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... teamdamage

Saving in multiplayer has been disabled since the new save game system was implemented, with a view to re-adding at a later date.
  • Thanks for the replys. I assume that flagged items means what diablo III has, that every player has it's own things to pick up. That's not what I want, because then there would be twice as many ammo in all the game, and in that case, it would be extremely easy to win. No, I mean that all items and ammo to grab are divided, that each player picks up what it picks up, and it doesn't repeat itself, so all the ammo is effectively divided between the players, instead of multiplied. Which, I believe, it's the default mode in the engine. I mean, that does work the way I want.
    What I mean is that there is ammmo and weapons in multiplayer mode that shouldn't be there , because the level doesn't really have them. For example, the hellstaff and the ammo for the hellstaff shouldn't be there in the first level, it's there only in multiplayer mode. I'd like to play the levels exactly like in the single player mode, with the ammo and weapons proper to the level. I mean, play the game exactly like the original, but with a friend.
    Simply put, I'd like to:
    1) Ammo, weapons and items to remain like they are originally in single player mode,
    2) Disable friendly fire.
    That's all. If friendly fire it's not possible, that's fine anyway, but I'd like the ammo, weapons and items to remain original.
    Is there any way?
  • Item flagging in Doom isn't the same as Diablo 3:

When one places a thing in a Vanilla Doom or Vanilla Heretic map, one has the option to set what skill levels it appears on (1+2, 3 and/or 4+5), wheter it appears in both singleplayer and multiplayer or just in multiplayer and a couple of other things. Things appear for and can be picked up, by all players.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule depending on the MP mode you are playing; key's and pre-placed weapon pickups may not be removed when you pick them up, allowing them to be picked up by each player in the game. Vanilla Doom has three MP modes; co-op, DM1 and DM2. Vanilla Heretic only has the first two.

Various source ports have added MP features and extended unique MP features from game X to game Y. Doomsday has added server cvars (see the Dday Wiki pages I linked to above) to both disable MP flagged items from appearing and also to disable friendly fire, but only in Doom. Dday has not added similar options to Heretic I'm afraid.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Item flagging in Doom isn't the same as Diablo 3:

When one places a thing in a Vanilla Doom or Vanilla Heretic map, one has the option to set what skill levels it appears on (1+2, 3 and/or 4+5), wheter it appears in both singleplayer and multiplayer or just in multiplayer and a couple of other things. Things appear for and can be picked up, by all players.

What is a skill level?
    Vermil wrote:
    There are a couple of exceptions to this rule depending on the MP mode you are playing; key's and pre-placed weapon pickups may not be removed when you pick them up, allowing them to be picked up by each player in the game.

That's what it happened when I played multiplayer with my friend, but only with the keys. The weapons, the ammo and the items only appeared once, and once picked up, they didn't appear again. Which is good, because that's the way I wanna play.
    Vermil wrote:
    Vanilla Doom has three MP modes; co-op, DM1 and DM2. Vanilla Heretic only has the first two.

I had no idea about them. I just started the map in the shell, and then my friend and I joined the server with the client. How do I choose bewteen them?
    Vermil wrote:
    Various source ports have added MP features and extended unique MP features from game X to game Y. Doomsday has added server cvars (see the Dday Wiki pages I linked to above) to both disable MP flagged items from appearing and also to disable friendly fire, but only in Doom. Dday has not added similar options to Heretic I'm afraid.
    I saw the links, but I don't know what they are. What are the cvars? Does cvar stands for Console Variables? How do I use them exactly? It looks like, with them, even if I can't do what I wanted, I still can use them to tune up the game pretty good.
  • Vermil wrote:

What is a skill level?

The skill levels are what you see on the main menu when you start a new single player game; 'Hurt me plenty' etc. It may be worth noting that while people call them skills 1-5, internally, they are actually refereed to as 0-4.

Vermil wrote:
    There are a couple of exceptions to this rule depending on the MP mode you are playing; key's and pre-placed weapon pickups may not be removed when you pick them up, allowing them to be picked up by each player in the game.

That's what it happened when I played multiplayer with my friend, but only with the keys. The weapons, the ammo and the items only appeared once, and once picked up, they didn't appear again. Which is good, because that's the way I wanna play.
    Vermil wrote:
    Vanilla Doom has three MP modes; co-op, DM1 and DM2. Vanilla Heretic only has the first two.

I had no idea about them. I just started the map in the shell, and then my friend and I joined the server with the client. How do I choose bewteen them?

Doomsday defaults to the Deathmatch 1 game mode when you start a server. To use the other modes, one has to start their MP server with certain cvars...
    Vermil wrote:
    I saw the links, but I don't know what they are. What are the cvars? Does cvar stands for Console Variables? How do I use them exactly? It looks like, with them, even if I can't do what I wanted, I still can use them to tune up the game pretty good.
    'cvar' is indeed short for console variable. Dday has two consoles, one in game, accessed with the '`' key by default and another in the shell for MP cvars. One can also enter several MP cvars when they first create a server, using the options box.

As such, type the cvars I linked to above into the shell console in Doom (or enter them in the options box when you start the server). Unfortunately, the wiki indicates those particular ones won't work in Heretic (notice the 'libDoom' at the bottom of the pages): though I imagine that might change in future.

Here is the full list of cvars in Doomsday: I've deliberately linked to the third page of the list as it features the 'sever XYZ cvars', which are meant for MP games.
    http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... f#mw-pages

Also in future, the Shell will be getting a GUI, so one won't have to worry about cvars so much.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Vermil wrote:

What is a skill level?

The skill levels are what you see on the main menu when you start a new single player game; 'Hurt me plenty' etc. It may be worth noting that while people call them skills 1-5, internally, they are actually refereed to as 0-4.

Oh, my. How silly of me :))
    Vermil wrote:
    Vermil wrote:

Vermil wrote:

Doomsday defaults to the Deathmatch 1 game mode when you start a server. To use the other modes, one has to start their MP server with certain cvars...

Got it.
    Vermil wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    'cvar' is indeed short for console variable. Dday has two consoles, one in game, accessed with the '`' key by default and another in the shell for MP cvars. One can also enter several MP cvars when they first create a server, using the options box.

As such, type the cvars I linked to above into the shell console in Doom (or enter them in the options box when you start the server). Unfortunately, the wiki indicates those particular ones won't work in Heretic (notice the 'libDoom' at the bottom of the pages): though I imagine that might change in future.

Here is the full list of cvars in Doomsday: I've deliberately linked to the third page of the list as it features the 'sever XYZ cvars', which are meant for MP games.
    http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... f#mw-pages

Also in future, the Shell will be getting a GUI, so one won't have to worry about cvars so much.
    About that. I'm trying to use the server-game-episode and the server-game-map cvars for specifying wich episode and map I wanna start, but I can only do that after I started the server, and the server starts specifically in episode 1 and map 1. I type the commands in the shell console, and it's like nothing happens. It echoes the commands I press if they are properly typed, but the shell remains in the episode 1, map 1. How can I use the cvars to specify, for example, map 3 of episode 4? I typed server-game-episode, but nothing happens. I type server-game-episode 1, the same result. In both cases, it only echoes the command in bold in the shell console, but that's all. What am I doing wrong?
  • wile the server is running did you restart the server?
  • When entering cvars in the options box, one needs to write them with a -cmd command line option: -cmd "firstcommand;secondcommand;thirdcommand"`

Many cvars when entered after a server has started, won't take affect until a map change.

It may be worth noting that there is also the simpler 'warp X Y' cvar, that also works in MP, for switching maps.
  • Vermil wrote:
    When entering cvars in the options box, one needs to write them with a -cmd command line option: -cmd "firstcommand;secondcommand;thirdcommand"

Uhm, it didn't work, but I don't fully understand it. Could you please write exactly how should I enter the commands in the console to start episode 2 and map 6? I believe that with a concrete example I'll understand it.
    Vermil wrote:
    Many cvars when entered after a server has started, won't take affect until a map change.

In that case, how do I restart the server? I can see how to stop it and start it, but not how to restart it in the GUI.
    Vermil wrote:
    It may be worth noting that there is also the simpler 'warp X Y' cvar, that also works in MP, for switching maps.
    In that case too, I'll ask you the same: How do I write that command in the console to go to episode 2, map 6? I don't understand what X and Y are.
  • to use the command you would type warp X Y where as X is the episode and Y is the map
  • Gordon wrote:
    to use the command you would type warp X Y where as X is the episode and Y is the map
    That did the trick, thanks. And, also, I'd like to do it with the server-game commands, so I can learn how to use the cvars.