high fps with addons

edited 2016 Jun 18 in DOOM
The last few times I've played through Doom/Doom2/FinalDoom (using the snowberry dengine 1.6) I've been playing with the Doomsdayfiles/highdetailtextures/library all disabled. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love playing the "old style" doom over and over again with full mouse support! But it would be nice if I could enjoy the higher resolution textures, 3-d flames and torches and all those goodies but when I have those enabled the framerate is unplayable. Barrls of Fun for example goes down to 1 fps.. (I'm running it in 1920x1080) Is this somehow a hardware issue or do I need to tweak some settings to make the game "process" the video properly?
Maybe it's just me be but aside from Barrels of Fun, the fps seems to really take a hit from the various colored/non-colored torches no matter the map. I can turn the flashes/sparks in regards to the bullet hits and smoke trails way up with no problem however. Pretty funny making it look like the 4th of July by shooting the wall with the chaingun. So anyways am I just sol? Won't be able to play the game and enjoy high-res textures/sprites at the same time? Not the end of the world for me just hoping for an extra perk.

Thank you so much for all your hard work!! I grew up on the id/apogee games, and y'all giving this game life on todays technology is a godsend! =D>

As far as my system specs, I built this in anticipation for Battlefield 3 pffft *gag*

Some system info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16328MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6719)
Display Memory: 1743 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2027 MB
Shared Memory: 3812 MB
Driver Version: 13.350.1005.0

Comments

• what version of DDay you using? snowberry is being phased out so going by 1.6 is not going to help us.
  • Oh I'm sorry, it's DEngine 1.13 (doomsday_1.13.2)
  • i have a similar build to your so i will test with the latest unstable build as soon as i can.

Well i have had no slow downs tho my vid card and cpu are better. now a quick question do you have stuff running in the background that could take up video/cpu like torrents and other stuff that downloads like steam. that may cause problems tho i have never had any problems with DDay except when switching from game wile inside. i have used DDay on much worse computers with everything on but that was with an older DDay. My advice is to update drivers and see whats running in the background that can take away system resources.
  • edited 2014 Mar 30
    Nope, no torrents, steam, zilch! I loaded up Doom2 to do some more tinkering around and refresh my memory on some stuff. That Renderer options part is pretty complex. I've tried mixing up settings different ways to try to find a good balance while playing the game with the doomsday and highres stuff active but can't seem to find the magic pattern.

To update from my original post (just retested a couple things), if I load Doom with *just* the highdetailtextures.zip addon it runs fine. Barrels o fun and Living end for example had no fps drop at all. When I start Doom with *just* the doomsdayfiles.zip however I run into the frame rate issues. Is there an error log somewhere in the file system I could look into? Regarding the retirement of the snowberry frontend, could this somehow be related to Snowberry instead of the doomsdayfiles.zip? I'll have to figure out how to load doomsday w/o snowberry and see what happens.
  • On a side note AMD's latest drivers are installed. I've been dying to rollback though because another old favorite of mine Jedi Knight and the MotS addon aren't compatible with it. That's got me (and a good number of other JK nerds) royally pissed!! Scuse me while I send a blast of Force Destruction to AMD HQs...
  • Whats this "doomsdayfiles.zip" addon you speak of? I've not come across that one. If the framerate issues occur only when you load this addon then there could be an issue with the addon itself.
  • that's how it appears on the addons tab in Snowberry. The zip contains 5 zip files and a rar file. I've played with doomsday periodically since it's early versions, I think this is an early addon pack that I renamed doomsdayfiles so I'd recognize it but I'll be honest in saying that I really can't remember the details other than these files are what contain the 3d models (weapons, demon, cacodemon etc), torches and whatnot.

Anyways, the files in the zip are:

deus-ex_jDRP-Reflections_DaniJ_v1.2.rar
    jdep-doom-rain-KuriKai-20060501-1.zip
    jdrp-packaged-20070404.zip
    jdrp1.1.zip
    jdui-all-20080614.zip
    tnt31fix.zip
  • I would suggest unpacking it into you addons folder and then trying each addon individually to see if you can narrow down the problem somewhat. It could also be an incompatibility between two or more addons.
  • edited 2014 Mar 31
    I separated the different addons that were in the single rar file and tried 'em out. It's definitely the jdrp1.1.zip that gives me trouble. This one contains some (or all?) of your work Danij. Saw your sig on the firesticks pk3 while I was looking through the different torches/flames. Do I simply need a better system or newer video card to run this addon? Only a few enemies and weapons are fully 3-d in this version. Most all of the objects and items like torches, sludge barrels, and health/armour pickups etc are fully 3-d. I much prefer the custom work in this one compared to the others I have. Tips? Comments? sol?
  • Version 1.1 of the jDRP was never actually officially released. Back in the day (many years ago now) I put out various WIP addons which I believe someone on the forum later bundled into a pack intended for wider distribution (some of which even ended up in the Risen3D model pack, I recall).

I'd suggest removing the firesticks (and perhaps the torches too) and then continue to use the rest. I probably never got around to optimizing the particle effects as at the time I was mainly focusing on improving the models.

Perhaps someone might like to take a look at those and see if they can be salvaged.
  • Ah ok, an unstable *unofficial* release, makes sense. I don't remember where or when I got that rar file pfffft. I just go through these "phases" of needing to blaze through my old games for shits n giggles. Never get tired of em. I see the doomsday stuff in my huge gamespatchesmapsmods directory and just grab it and go.
    Apparently the culprits are some of the torch variants and the toxic barrels. Lvl 23 fps drops to 1 just seconds after the map loads yikes. Is the moving liquid visible inside the barrel a "particle affect" as well? I'll try pulling out all the flaming-torch-types I can find plus the toxic barrels and see what happens. I'd hate to see em go to waste they're beautiful when they're not killing fps! *thumbs up* So for now I take it jdrp 1.01 is the one I should be using?

*edit*
    removing the barrels allowed lvl 23 to start out great so moving on to the torches.
  • I recall the moving liquid in the barrel was done by animating the vertices of a separate "water surface" model. That shouldn't be causing a framerate issue.

The most likely culprits are things with (likely excessive) particle effects. I was firstly aiming for something that looked good and intended to address any performance issues later once the design of said effects was final. Ultimately that never got done.

Yeah, jDRP 1.01 is probably the best version to use unless you plan to manually "patch" in some of the better models from the 1.1 alpha that work fine for you. Its not a big job once you know how Doomsday addons are packaged, however, replacing or removing particle effects requires opening up the individual packages and altering the definition(s).

Edit: It would also be worth having a quick look through your doomsday.out to see if there are any reports of missing resources. Presently the resource caching is less than ideal and missing resources may lead to thrashing (repeatedly attempting to locate the resource) that will negatively affect performance.
  • Damn, I've loaded up doom and doom2 several times with different active mods since removing the barrel and flaming torch paks. There may or may not be much in there related to those fps issues but you can certainly take a look:
    *edit*
    I have to uncheck the shinemaps or I get a conflict error.
    Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\Bin\Doomsday.exe
    Enabled log entry level: MESSAGE
    Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.13.2 (Stable 32-bit #1109) Jan 14 2014 08:52:47.
    Command line (14 strings):
      0: ..\Bin\Doomsday.exe
      1: -basedir
      2: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday/
      3: -sfxchan
      4: 16
      5: -nowsk
      6: -nojoy
      7: -notexcomp
      8: -game
      9: doom1
      10: -iwad
      11: C:\Program Files (x86)\DoomWADS\DOOM.WAD
      12: -userdir
      13: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\snowberry\runtime/
    Windows system keys disabled.
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "data/renderer.pack/
                  shaders.dei" at path "/data/doomsday.pk3/data/renderer.pack/shaders.dei"
                  (out of archive in read-only native file "(basedir)\data\doomsday.pk3")
    Initializing plugins...
      (id:1) dehread
      (id:2) doom
      (id:3) wadmapconverter
    Starting GuiApp event loop...
    OpenGL 3.3 supported
    Canvas: Gained focus.
    OpenGL information:
      Version: 4.3.12780 Compatibility Profile Context 13.350.1005.0
      Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
      Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Capabilities:
      Compressed texture formats: 18
      Available texture units: 8
      Maximum texture anisotropy: 16
      Maximum texture size: 16384
      Line width granularity: 0.125
      Line width range: 1...63
    OpenGL Extensions:
        AMD extensions:
            blend_minmax_factor, conservative_depth, debug_output, depth_clamp_separate,
            draw_buffers_blend, framebuffer_sample_positions, multi_draw_indirect,
            name_gen_delete, performance_monitor, pinned_memory, query_buffer_object,
            sample_positions, seamless_cubemap_per_texture, shader_atomic_counter_ops,
            shader_stencil_export, shader_trace, texture_cube_map_array, texture_texture4,
            transform_feedback3_lines_triangles, vertex_shader_layer,
            vertex_shader_tessellator, vertex_shader_viewport_index
        AMDX extensions:
            debug_output, vertex_shader_tessellator
        ARB extensions:
            ES2_compatibility, ES3_compatibility, arrays_of_arrays, base_instance,
            blend_func_extended, clear_buffer_object, clear_texture, color_buffer_float,
            compatibility, compressed_texture_pixel_storage, compute_shader,
            conservative_depth, copy_buffer, copy_image, debug_output, depth_buffer_float,
            depth_clamp, depth_texture, draw_buffers, draw_buffers_blend,
            draw_elements_base_vertex, draw_indirect, draw_instanced,
            explicit_attrib_location, explicit_uniform_location, fragment_coord_conventions,
            fragment_layer_viewport, fragment_program, fragment_program_shadow,
            fragment_shader, framebuffer_no_attachments, framebuffer_object,
            framebuffer_sRGB, geometry_shader4, get_program_binary, gpu_shader5,
            gpu_shader_fp64, half_float_pixel, half_float_vertex, imaging, instanced_arrays,
            internalformat_query, internalformat_query2, invalidate_subdata,
            map_buffer_alignment, map_buffer_range, multi_bind, multi_draw_indirect,
            multisample, multitexture, occlusion_query, occlusion_query2,
            pixel_buffer_object, point_parameters, point_sprite, program_interface_query,
            provoking_vertex, query_buffer_object, sample_shading, sampler_objects,
            seamless_cube_map, seamless_cubemap_per_texture, separate_shader_objects,
            shader_atomic_counters, shader_bit_encoding, shader_image_load_store,
            shader_image_size, shader_objects, shader_precision, shader_stencil_export,
            shader_storage_buffer_object, shader_subroutine, shader_texture_lod,
            shading_language_100, shading_language_420pack, shading_language_packing, shadow,
            shadow_ambient, stencil_texturing, sync, tessellation_shader,
            texture_border_clamp, texture_buffer_object, texture_buffer_object_rgb32,
            texture_buffer_range, texture_compression, texture_compression_bptc,
            texture_compression_rgtc, texture_cube_map, texture_cube_map_array,
            texture_env_add, texture_env_combine, texture_env_crossbar, texture_env_dot3,
            texture_float, texture_gather, texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge,
            texture_mirrored_repeat, texture_multisample, texture_non_power_of_two,
            texture_query_levels, texture_query_lod, texture_rectangle, texture_rg,
            texture_rgb10_a2ui, texture_snorm, texture_storage, texture_storage_multisample,
            texture_view, timer_query, transform_feedback2, transform_feedback3,
            transform_feedback_instanced, transpose_matrix, uniform_buffer_object,
            vertex_array_bgra, vertex_array_object, vertex_attrib_64bit,
            vertex_attrib_binding, vertex_buffer_object, vertex_program, vertex_shader,
            vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev, vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, viewport_array,
            window_pos
        ATI extensions:
            draw_buffers, envmap_bumpmap, fragment_shader, separate_stencil,
            texture_compression_3dc, texture_env_combine3, texture_float, texture_mirror_once
        EXT extensions:
            abgr, bgra, bindable_uniform, blend_color, blend_equation_separate,
            blend_func_separate, blend_minmax, blend_subtract, compiled_vertex_array,
            copy_buffer, copy_texture, direct_state_access, draw_buffers2, draw_instanced,
            draw_range_elements, fog_coord, framebuffer_blit, framebuffer_multisample,
            framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB, geometry_shader4, gpu_program_parameters,
            gpu_shader4, histogram, multi_draw_arrays, packed_depth_stencil, packed_float,
            packed_pixels, pixel_buffer_object, point_parameters, provoking_vertex,
            rescale_normal, secondary_color, separate_specular_color,
            shader_image_load_store, shader_integer_mix, shadow_funcs, stencil_wrap,
            subtexture, texgen_reflection, texture3D, texture_array, texture_buffer_object,
            texture_compression_bptc, texture_compression_latc, texture_compression_rgtc,
            texture_compression_s3tc, texture_cube_map, texture_edge_clamp, texture_env_add,
            texture_env_combine, texture_env_dot3, texture_filter_anisotropic,
            texture_integer, texture_lod, texture_lod_bias, texture_mirror_clamp,
            texture_object, texture_rectangle, texture_sRGB, texture_sRGB_decode,
            texture_shared_exponent, texture_snorm, texture_storage, texture_swizzle,
            timer_query, transform_feedback, vertex_array, vertex_array_bgra,
            vertex_attrib_64bit
        IBM extensions:
            texture_mirrored_repeat
        KHR extensions:
            debug
        KTX extensions:
            buffer_region
        NV extensions:
            blend_square, conditional_render, copy_depth_to_color, copy_image,
            depth_buffer_float, explicit_multisample, float_buffer, half_float,
            primitive_restart, texgen_reflection, texture_barrier
        SGIS extensions:
            generate_mipmap, texture_edge_clamp, texture_lod
        SUN extensions:
            multi_draw_arrays
        WGL extensions:
            EXT_swap_control
        WIN extensions:
            swap_hint
      Extensions (WGL):
        WGL extensions:
            ARB_extensions_string, ARB_pixel_format, ATI_pixel_format_float,
            ARB_pixel_format_float, ARB_multisample, EXT_swap_control, EXT_swap_control_tear,
            ARB_pbuffer, ARB_render_texture, ARB_make_current_read, EXT_extensions_string,
            ARB_buffer_region, EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, ATI_render_texture_rectangle,
            EXT_pixel_format_packed_float, I3D_genlock, NV_swap_group, ARB_create_context,
            AMD_gpu_association, AMDX_gpu_association, ARB_create_context_profile,
            NV_DX_interop, NV_DX_interop2, NV_float_buffer
    Initializing Render subsystem...
    Setting up platform state...
    FMOD Sound System (c) Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2013.
    Audio configuration (by decreasing priority):
      CD: FMOD/CD
      Music: FMOD/Ext
      SFX: FMOD
    Initialized 16 sound effect channels.
    Initializing InFine subsystem...
    Initializing UI subsystem...
    Locating "HACX - Twitch 'n Kill"...
    Locating "Chex(R) Quest"...
    Locating "Final DOOM: TNT: Evilution"...
    Locating "Final DOOM: The Plutonia Experiment"...
    Locating "DOOM 2: Hell on Earth"...
    Locating "Ultimate DOOM"...
    Locating "DOOM Registered"...
    Locating "DOOM Shareware"...
    ResourceSystem: All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    Loading game resources...
      IWAD identification: 00db003a
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\bigfn032.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb032.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb033.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb034.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb035.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb036.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb037.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb038.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb039.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb040.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb041.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb042.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb043.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb044.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb045.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb046.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb047.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb048.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb049.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb050.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb051.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb052.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb053.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb054.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb055.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb056.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb057.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb058.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb059.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb060.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb061.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb062.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb063.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb064.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb065.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb066.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb067.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb068.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb069.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb070.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb071.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb072.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb073.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb074.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb075.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb076.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb077.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb078.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb079.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb080.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb081.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb082.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb083.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb084.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb085.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb086.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb087.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb088.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb089.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\fontb090.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\mapmask.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\menufog.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\m_thermm.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\pal18to8.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\sndcurve.lmp" already loaded.
    "(basedir)\data\jdoom\auto\.basedata\stcfn032.lmp" already loaded.
    ResourceSystem > loadCompositeTextureDefs:
        Loaded all 125 texture definitions from "C:\Program Files (x86)\DoomWADS\DOOM.WAD:
        (basedir)\TEXTURE1.lmp".
    ^ : Loaded all 162 texture definitions from "C:\Program Files (x86)\DoomWADS\DOOM.WAD:
        (basedir)\TEXTURE2.lmp".
    ResourceSystem: initCompositeTextures: Completed in 0.94 seconds.
    ^ : initFlatTextures: Completed in 0.03 seconds.
    ^ : initSpriteTextures: Completed in 1 seconds.
    Parsing primary config "configs\doom\game.cfg"...
    B_BindCommand: Deleting binding 39, it has been overridden by binding 113.
    Parsing definition files...
    readAllDefinitions: Completed in 0.14 seconds.
    Definitions:
      28 animation groups
      6 composite fonts
      8 finales
      9 lights
      29 map infos
      11 materials
      19 particle generators
      4 skies
      33 songs
      110 sound effects
      138 sprite names
      974 states
      49 surface decorations
      368 text strings
      8 texture environments
      140 things
    ResourceSystem: Building sprites...
    ^ : Completed in 0.054 seconds.
    ^ : Model init completed in 0 seconds.
    Failed locating image resource for "Particle00".

DOOM Registered

You are running the latest available stable release.
    ResourceSystem::declarePatch: Failed to locate lump for "Patches:HELP2", ignoring.
    FIC_SetPatch: Warning, missing Patch 'HELP2'.
    All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    Loading map "E3M1"...
    World::loadMap > WadMapConverter: Recognized a id Tech 1 (Doom) format map.
    World::loadMap: Analyses completed in 0 seconds.
    ^ > WadMapConverter > Id1Map: Transfer completed in 0.047 seconds.
    Map: Pruned 24 vertexes (0 equivalents, 24 unused).
    ^ : Geometry bounds:[(-1152, -1984)->(1152, 2368) size:(2304, 4352)]
    ^ : Line blockmap dimensions:(19, 35)
    ^ : BSP built: 96 Nodes, 97 Leafs, 462 Segments and 48 Vertexes.
    Tree balance is 9:8.
    ^ : BSP built in 0.043 seconds.
    ^ : Mobj blockmap dimensions:(19, 35)
    ^ : Polyobj blockmap dimensions:(19, 35)
    ^ : BSP leaf blockmap dimensions:(19, 35)
    Current map elements:
      218 Vertexes
      208 Lines
      0 Polyobjs
      39 Sectors
      96 BSP Nodes
      97 BSP Leafs
    Map::initNodePiles: Completed in 0 seconds.
    P_PtcInitForMap: Completed in 0 seconds.
    Map::initSkyFix: Completed in 0 seconds.
    Precaching completed in 1.7 seconds.
    Rend_RadioInitForMap: Completed in 0.001 seconds.
    Map::initBias: Completed in 0 seconds.

Map 1: Hell Keep
    Author: id Software

SettingsRegister: Changing renderer profile to 'Amplified (built-in)'
    ^ > ResourceSystem: All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    SettingsRegister: All GL textures deleted.
    SettingsRegister: Changing renderer profile to 'Custom'
    ^ > ResourceSystem: All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    SettingsRegister: All GL textures deleted.
    Picked up a box of bullets.
    Picked up a box of bullets.
    All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    Loading map "E3M2"...
    World::loadMap > WadMapConverter: Recognized a id Tech 1 (Doom) format map.
    World::loadMap: Analyses completed in 0 seconds.
    ^ > WadMapConverter > Id1Map: Transfer completed in 0.1 seconds.
    Map: Pruned 105 vertexes (0 equivalents, 105 unused).
    ^ : Geometry bounds:[(-568, -896)->(2304, 3456) size:(2872, 4352)]
    ^ : Line blockmap dimensions:(23, 35)
    ^ : BSP built: 284 Nodes, 285 Leafs, 1434 Segments and 240 Vertexes.
    Tree balance is 11:13.
    ^ : BSP built in 0.15 seconds.
    ^ : Mobj blockmap dimensions:(23, 35)
    ^ : Polyobj blockmap dimensions:(23, 35)
    ^ : BSP leaf blockmap dimensions:(23, 35)
    Current map elements:
      666 Vertexes
      494 Lines
      0 Polyobjs
      68 Sectors
      284 BSP Nodes
      285 BSP Leafs
    Map::initNodePiles: Completed in 0 seconds.
    P_PtcInitForMap: Completed in 0 seconds.
    Map::initSkyFix: Completed in 0 seconds.
    Precaching completed in 1.6 seconds.
    Rend_RadioInitForMap: Completed in 0.001 seconds.
    Map::initBias: Completed in 0 seconds.

Map 2: Slough of Despair
    Author: id Software

Stopping GuiApp event loop
    GuiApp event loop exited with code 0
    ResourceSystem: All GL textures for RawTextures deleted.
    Shutting down the console...
    Z_Shutdown: Used 1 volumes, total 33554432 bytes.
    Restoring original display mode due to shutdown.
    Canvas: Lost focus.

• Maybe they need to fix up those addons and fix the renderer and other stuff so we get good frames with dynamic lights, 100% working models, and even prevent the problem where sometimes on those animated textures when using a custom wad, you don't have a situation where it switches back and forth from one texture to another when using the hi-res texture pack. Sometimes waterfalls like to do that as if the texture pack and custom wad aren't 100% compatible. hopefully in the future, Doomsday will be very compatible with all wads and packs. When using Tea monster models like the Pinky and caco, it causes the level to load much more slowly and the loading wheel stutters off and on while loading. Obviously the engine is way out of date even now. Almost at 1.14 and still these problems and slowdowns exist. Guess we need to wait for that anticipated new renderer. It will be sounds neat when it comes true.
  • gary wrote:
    Guess we need to wait for that anticipated new renderer. It will be sounds neat when it comes true.
    Indeed, it's much like Deng Team not updating Snowberry beyond fatal bug fixes because they plan to retire it.

Though it isn't just about the actual new renderer; Deng Team have and are optimizing much under the hood, that is largely not visible to users at the moment due to the current renderer. This means that when the new renderer comes, Dday will get a larger performance boost than what the new renderer by itself will grant.
  • I look forward to that. sounds like good stuff.
  • Agreed! I love a lot of the textures/graphics that are in that unreleased 1.1 version I got ahold of and hope to be able to use them soon. *thumbs up* :)
  • Thought I'd bump this. It's been awhile since I've played this and the fps problem I'm having is from Dynamic Lighting. That may have been my problem the entire time... Does anyone else get a drop in fps when Dynamic Lighting is turned on? It runs great with it off. I'm fine leaving it off and was wondering if it's a know stability issue? Only system changes are Win 10 and a GeForce 9800ti.
  • Yeah there is definitely known perf issues with having lots of dynamic lights. You might want to experiment with the "Number of Lights" setting (cvar "rend-light-num") by setting it to some smaller value like 25 or 50.
  • Tried it out 21 lights (lowest option on the slider bar) and lowered all the other Point lighting options. Changed the blending mode options too. I guess my system just doesn't like the extra lights. There's a separate list of options labeled Behavior and Diagnosis. While trying different options on there didn't help I was wondering if it's possible to precache dynamic lights?
  • The Behavior/Diagnosis options are no help here, they are intended for development purposes to check how the renderer is working.

Precaching is specifically related to texture images.
  • Just out of curiosity then, is the processing for dynamic lights primarily done by the video card or the cpu?
  • In the current (old) renderer, most of the time dynamic lights are costing more on the CPU. However, when there are multiple large lights visible on screen (viewing a well-lit surface close by, for example), there is high GPU overdraw happening, which is a problem for older/slower cards.