Doomsday 1.9.7 Released

2»

Comments

• Given that the stop logic can be controlled on a per-sound basis (and then disabled by cvar) this should simply be a matter of adding the sf_dontstop flag to those sounds that need it.

@gary
    You must understand there are different motivations in effect here. I imagine there are just as many people who want to see the original game behavior emulated correctly. This is a "unstable" build which by its very nature will contain unfinished and work-in-progress changes. A user shouldn't necessarily panic when something like this changes as it may well be a temporary measure (which I expect it is).
  • No build 432 today?
  • No, we switched the autobuilder back to a biweekly cycle after the 1.9.7 stable release. The next auto-build will happen on Friday.
  • Ah, thanks for the heads-up.

I assume it will go back into a tri-weekly event when 1.9.8 goes into RC?
  • I assume it will go back into a tri-weekly event when 1.9.8 goes into RC?
    Yes.

The purpose of the triweekly builds was to get faster verification of fixed bugs. Presently it would be less productive as bug fixing is not the main focus.
  • I looked at the 1.9.8 roadmap just now since I forget what was on the list, and I'm happy it says "fix bottlenecks". So in this release, we will get major performance increases ingame. Excellent.
  • As is my understanding, alot of the in game performance issues are caused by the renderer, over anything else.

That, according to the roadmap, won't be updated (i.e replaced) until post 2.0.
  • http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Roadmap#1.9.8

At the very bottom of the list, there is a link that says "optimizing performance bottlenecks" that leads here:

http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... ottlenecks

and if you click the link, it says:

"It is time to find the worst performance bottlenecks and get rid of them.

Of particular interest:
    Maps with tons of dynamic lights."
  • Yes, I am aware of that.

I'm just saying that not every performance bottleneck in Dday will be removed or improved upon until the renderer is replaced.

Doesn't mean some of the bottlenecks (those not directly tied to the renderer) can't be removed or improved earlier.
  • edited 2012 May 7
  • Congrats on the release! I haven't been in here in quite a bit, but I'm so glad to see this is still going! :D