Demon Model

edited 2011 May 20 in Addons for DOOM
I started this off when I was at a friend's house and away from my files.

Not done the teeth yet. Colours are Z-Brush materials and he hasn't been properly textured yet.

demon_P.jpg

Comments

• You think it will be released in the foreseeable fyture?
  • Yeah, I'm hoping to fast-track it. It won't take 3 years like the caco :(
  • I think the muscles of the face/mouth and forehead look a bit too bulbous (I think that's the term); they look soft and squishy rather than muscular.
  • Kuri Kai already suggested toning them up a bit. I'm going to do that after the retopo.
  • I wonder if it needs more visible teeth, or sharper teeth.
  • The teeth aren't done yet. I've just finished making the initial low-poly version of the body. I've brought it into Blender and I'm going to do the teeth. I'll post an update later today.
  • Very cool. Can't wait to see the update.

As for the teeth... The originals aren't sharp.

It's going to be fun to play Doom with this guy in there.
  • The more models that are forked out and the faster while keeping with quality if possible, the better. It would make sense that this forums needs more manpower in order to make real progress on all models though. It is rare for someone to achieve both speed and quality though. Usually it's one or the other in life too.
  • I'm not sure why the Doom community is suffering for models. Maybe it is the multiplicity of ports? Maybe everyone went where the tech was and is working on Doom 3 mods? I don't really know. Psychikon is doing some excellent work over on the Heretic side. A lot of high-res technology is being adapted to work on non-high-res projects.

Anyway, here is the low-poly of the Demon with the normal maps on top - this is sort of what it would look like in Doom 3. Next, on to textures.

2n9i96s.jpg
  • Yay for teeth!

He's looking great.

You're making really fast progress on this one. Keep up the great work.
  • Yes, you are. As long as it has damage stages and a blood animation each time you shoot it like with the older models, I will be happy, even if the model isn't perfect. :) But that model looks 100 times better than the old one. Keep this up and if we are lucky, it could be released this month, or at least next month.
  • Given the quality of the Cacodemon model, I think there are no worries about damage stages and animation. :)
  • I'm fast-tracking this as I've put another project on hold to do this, so he should be done in a week. Thanks for the comments!
  • Wow. Just... Wow. I've always admired your work Tea Monster - you certainly don't disappoint. Your work rate rivals Dani's when he was spitting out models of a similar quality.
  • The first picture without the teeth, because the bull demon is also hunched, it reminds me of someone from an old folks' home! ;)

You're doing very well and fast! Good job! :D
  • How's the model going?
  • Hey, I had some fun trying to get the normal maps and other errata to bake down to JDoom's more basic engine. I thought it would be pretty straight-forward, but I've had a few problems here and there.

I've got a basic skin done. It needs some tweaking and some seams filling here and there - but it's a skin. I may go back and properly paint one up in Z-Brush.

At the moment though, it's on to rigging and animating.

2igcf7n.jpg
  • Wow!

And wow again -- because the first wow was insufficient.

He's looking great. For my own taste, I'd say tone down the red inside the mouth a teeny bit, but otherwise absolutely amazing.
  • Cheers. Rigging is done (Gotta love Blender's new rigging system!).
  • Looking very good Tea Monster! Can't wait to see it when it is done.

-Ely
  • This is fast progress. If you did all the monster models, we might have a new monster model pack sometime this year. This seems to have boosted forum activity somewhat as well.
  • I'm guessing the animations are a lot of work. I don't know what 'rigging' means. It looks pretty well done though. :-w
  • Rigging and basic animations are done.

He's undergoing beta testing at the moment. I'm fine-tuning the animations as we speak.

2vdiqno.jpg
  • He looks great. I can't wait to try him in game. O:-)
  • The current demon model looks pretty good, but this one looks like it could potentially be better. Looks good so far.
  • Sadly, the Imp model thread on the following site seems to have died again: http://www.garagegames.com/community/fo ... read/82087 ...

Makes me wonder if anyone is working on it anymore. Let's hope this Demon model won't have that happen :)
  • I'm quite confident the Imp is being worked on, and is nearly complete. Ditto for the Demon. Maybe even a few other critters as well.

Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and a fairly large heavily updated resource pack might be released very soon.
  • Nearly finished the Doom 3 version. He's above 6K polys. Still getting the diffuse textures sorted out.

I've tried posting a picture, but it says that jpgs aren't allowed? :-/ :-/ :-/
  • Strange, the earlier one in this thread is a jpg
  • I usually use a image hosting service, but when I tried to apply the picture, I was informed it had to be 800 pixels wide. I did that, then I was informed it had to be so many pixels wide, which it was over. I thought 'sod it' and just attached it, when it said that jpegs weren't allowed. I was a bit surprised at that!

Anyway, here are the pics.
    291ezhx.jpg
    16aqj4h.jpg