Tea Monster's Cacodemon Model

2»

Comments

• What would be the legal position of 'borrowing' the Doom 3 version?
  • I am hoping to work on the archvile after I have done the baron
  • Yeah, I bumped that thread. I sent an email first to the author, but the address in her profile was dead, so I bumped the thread. :)

As for Doom 3, it's not too hard to import and make DEDs for Doom 3 models. I have several installs of Doomsday on my machine, and on one I imported a bunch of Doom 3 models and sounds. It's not difficult to do..... but, it is tedious, and there are numerous issues with the results. There are no animation frames whatsoever in Doom 3 for the critters dying. So you'd have to make the death states yourself. Furthermore, while some of the difuse maps will look decent (barely) by themselves as a texture in Doomsday, most won't and will need tinkering in Photoshop or an equivalent program. Long story short, it's a lot of work, and the results aren't too hot.

Glad to hear you're going to work on the Archvile next, Kurikai. That's great news.
  • magnum wrote:
    ... There are no animation frames whatsoever in Doom 3 for the critters dying. So you'd have to make the death states yourself.

You can import anim files from Doom 3? :-O
    magnum wrote:
    Furthermore, while some of the difuse maps will look decent (barely) by themselves as a texture in Doomsday, most won't and will need tinkering in Photoshop or an equivalent program. Long story short, it's a lot of work, and the results aren't too hot.

There are various tricks for getting decent textures out of normal maps. If you have the high-res, or a normal map, you can get a good approximate texture. Then you'd bake off a render to texture to get your Doomsday texture. It's not quite as nice as a painted texture, but it will do.
    magnum wrote:
    Glad to hear you're going to work on the Archvile next, Kurikai. That's great news.
    Seconded!
  • I'm aware of being able to import the animation files -- and I have for several of the critters. My point was that there are no animations for dying in Doom 3. The models are turned into something called "rag dolls" and the engine itself takes over from there.
  • I like the Classic Doom Doomsday more in many ways and one reason is because the bodies have death animations and the bodies don't disappear. There is a mod in Doom 3 that prevents bodies from disappearing immediately, but it just isn't the same as Classic. I know that feature in games exists for performance reasons, but my system can handle it as long as the program is written to take full advantage opf my hardware.

It would be nice if Doom 4 would be like a sequel to classic Doom 2, but I guess Final Doom and Doom 64 is the closest thing to a sequel. Too bad quakecom never announced it like they should have last year. I hope it isn't a prequel of anything.
  • Doom 3 was a huge disappointment for me. Looked great and all, but the gameplay was nothing like Doom. I've heard rumours that Doom 4 will be closer to gameplay to Doom and Doom II, but I doubt it.

I'll take Doomsday over Doom 3 any day.

Anyways, we digress. This thread is about the awesomeness of Tea Monster's Cacodemon. >:)
  • Looks like we have a bot marking a few threads like a dog marking its territory when it is not its territory. It is like it dropped a turd and left, really. A post currently above; not you magnum, so when it's deleted, I don't want you thinking I was talking about you ;)