Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.9 Released

2»

Comments

• @gary - No offense but your sense of entitlement is rather bewildering. As skyjake already pointed out, we do this for fun when we feel like it. Sadly we aren't in a position where we can justify spending more time on the project. If you'd like us to readdress the real life vs doomsday balance, then the two best ways to do that is code- or cash-donation submission (mainly the former unless you plan to sponsor development on an ongoing basis).

As to the "feature creep", the 1.9.0-beta X series has seen very few outright 'new' features. The entire point in this release series is to re-architect the project into a form suitable for us to take it forward. Most of the new functionality that has appeared in the process has been borne from new abstractions needed to update the engine's API.

Unfortunately for Doomsday, the project went through a prolonged period of near inactivity due to real life concerns, which, as any developer will tell you, results in code rot. It has and is taking us a time to bring the project back up to a readily maintainable state but please do bare with it.
  • Some more notices:

1. It would be cool to using bots in the next version if it's possible. It would be very nice to play a good Deatmatch game, so the bots can fill the cracks in until a new player joins into the match. (line in UT) Doom was very cool in DM too, but of course the coop-mod is the king.

2. I watched that you want to drop the nondeciated-host in the next release. I don't understand the reason of this, but I hope I can also run the dedicated server and a client on the same PC.

3. Do you plan to insert the ragdoll anim for the players and NPCs? For the new model-format I recommend the Milshape' ms3d format, what storages meshes + animations too. I used that prog for my ReWolfenstein project for the Source engine and that program is good enough.

So we understand that you make it for only fun, and everyone has a real life, but you did a mistake: WITH THIS ENGINE YOU MADE A VERY PROFESSIONAL "REMAKE" GUYS! Please don't let it to die! This is the best remake we ever see, much better than the Duke HRP or any Quake-engine-upgrade! Some years ago we played all of the original maps, we couldn't stop the game.

Thanks!
  • Giskard wrote:
    2. I watched that you want to drop the nondeciated-host in the next release. I don't understand the reason of this, but I hope I can also run the dedicated server and a client on the same PC.
    You can run a dedicated server on the same PC. In fact, when we get the UI also up to date, the player experience will be much the same as currently. The difference is that the game code doesn't have to worry about hosting a game while a local player is also present in the same instance -- it simplifies things and helps make the code robust.
    So we understand that you make it for only fun, and everyone has a real life, but you did a mistake: WITH THIS ENGINE YOU MADE A VERY PROFESSIONAL "REMAKE" GUYS! Please don't let it to die!
    I'd hardly call that a mistake. ;) We don't intend to let the project die. Progress may be glacial at times, but I think the years so far have shown that it also always picks up after the lulls.
  • Sorry if I use a wrong word, it was just a joke, please don't misunderstand me. I wanted only say that you guys made a very-very cool engine to reborn a classic game, and this reborn is much better than any other remake. So this engine + game need to living, what means that every fan wants that you must work on this great engine in the future yet. So this is a grateful and hard situation to you. :)
  • Progress may very well pick up this year since the betas are over and Skyjake said it could also be months (meaning it could be shorter instead of longer). There is a source code game forum I visit for a game called Freespace 2, and they make pretty good progress on the Freespace Open project, but they also have more people working on it and many more community members.

Anyways, I will bare with you. Some people are busier with real life than others or would prefer to do other things besides being in front of a pc for too long, and some projects don't have as much help, so it is understandable. Also, even though I like computers, I wouldn't want to sit in front of one all day and I also like to work out, take care of health, keep my place clean, and more. So it is all understandable. But are there ways to gain more staff to help you out? That might make a big difference and also help to free up more of your time and get even more done. Yes, Doomsday is a good thing. It has pretty good graphics, is pretty user friendly, and has many addons. :)
  • I agree that having a couple of extra coders on the team would help. However, finding people that are talented/experienced enough to contribute positively is a challenge, especially since we have really nothing to offer as a reward in addition to nostalgia. Plus the codebase currently is not very inviting for new programmers: it's large and complex, and introducing new bugs inadvertently is quite easy.

Expanding the team may become topical once we have managed to squeeze the primary new technological building blocks in place: C++ and Qt.
  • The choice of C++ and Qt sounds very appealing (especially since I'm a KDE guy haha), as well as robust and future-ready. Glad to hear things are progressing with Doomsday, I've been a fan of it for ages. From a user's perspective, it's a great package, and the direction you're heading in sounds like a great move for the project. Several of my friends use Doomsday as well. Nothing beats some classic Doom coop! Keep up the great work!
  • I changed the address of the master-server to http://dengine.net/master.php (+enabled the reg of the server on the master) but the clients doesn't see it (+I also cannot see it if I open my web browser) The only way of the joining is to use with directIP. It's working. Is there any chance to fix this problem? Or do I need to setup something else yet!?
  • First i want to thank you for the hard work without monetary gain !

I have a very poor performing laptop IGP, and i usually have under 30 fps because of AA that is enabled by default in 1.9.0 beta 6.9. I see an option to disable AF in both the frontend menu, and also in the control panel in-game, but i see nothing to disable AA. Also i can't disable through AMD drivers, the only AA settings in the CCC are "controlled by application" and then various AA settings, but nothing with "off".

I would like to disable AA somehow, maybe you guys have a console command or some other fix. Should i move back to 1.8.6 where i get a solid 60 fps because of disabled AA by default ? I prefer to stick to with 1.9 beta, since i like it more, but if there is no solution, i will revert back to the old one. Thanks.
  • Oddly we don't appear to have a -noaa option in the current release. We certainly should. I'll implement this over the weekend and so it will appear in Monday's automated build.
  • Thank you, i am looking forward to the next version of doomsday.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    so it will appear in Monday's automated build.

Well, this is Monday. The weekly update appears to be late. Still 5 hours of Monday left in the Pacific timezone though. Maybe you are busy though with real life. :P Not that I am registered to download weekly builds, but I do read the weekly update in the Developer's subforum to see the progress that has been done.
  • The release was uploaded hours ago (here http://code.iki.fi/builds/build325/). We'll get around to writing the progress update shortly.