Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.9 Released

edited 2011 Nov 22 in News
Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.9 has been uploaded to SourceForge.net and is now available for download. The release notes are to be found at the wiki as per usual.

Comments

• Though this release has been a long time coming, I'm particularly happy with the end result. Although the play experience is a lot more fluid and more polished I can still see room for improvement however. In particular I think some minor damping on sidestepping is needed whilst running.

Anyway, I hope you all have as much fun with it as I did during play testing :)
  • Great job guys! Big improvement from the last beta release for sure.
  • Excellent - I was at a loose end this evening but not now! Thanks to all involved.
  • Thanks very much, it works great! Lots of great features :)
  • Aha! I haven't been here in a bit. Well done guys on releasing this so quickly! About to download and test! ;) Yay! New toys!
  • Any news on anything? Any new betas coming out? What is going on lately?
  • Didn't know there even was a twitter page for Doomsday. Dani should put a link to it in his sig. Thanks kurikai.
  • no problem, the link is on the main page
  • You can also view our twitter feed on the dengDevs homepage. Its mostly about the day-to-day development on the project but you might occasionally read something interesting :)
  • I recommend trying socialkik.com to buy Twitter followers, they have been recommended by a lot of bloggers and they can be trusted. We've used to boost the number of followers for a few of our clients and they're all satisfied

edit KuriKai) removed clickable link
  • So... Any news on the next beta?
  • Sadly the team have had a lot less time to work on deng over the winter holidays than we had hoped. However, we aren't a million miles away from a release. We just need a little more time.
  • I may be looking in the wrong place but the dev blog seems to have disappeared :\ has it been deleted?
  • No it hasn't disappeared but we have been having a few problems with the site over the past week. I'll take a look at whats up with the blog when I get back to my dev machine.
  • No probs on the release, these things take time. Looking forward to it! Any hints as to what to look forward to when it arrives?
  • I've tried out the latest release, and it really works very well. You guys are doing great with this project. I was wondering though, does jdoom support pk3 or wad files with midi music rather than mp3 or ogg? I figured since it can play the original doom midi files, that these could work too.
  • Hey are you guys on the project thinking about add 3Dvision support in near future?
  • I hope you will bring back the multiplayer support. The 1.8.6 was good, but that version has some problems with win7 + some addons doesn't compatible with the 1.8.6.

When will you release the next version? Does it have multiplayer support?
  • The next stable release (1.9.7) will have fully functional multiplayer support. That is one of the most important upcoming fixes.

We will release it immediately when the fixes are in place. ;) You can follow the progress here: viewforum.php?f=24
  • Thanks fo your answer. but ~when will you release the new version? June, July...etc?

Another question:
    The actual form of the Launcher is very difficult yet. This add-on procedure is not the best choice. Those who has not enough knowledge about the contents of each add-ons cannot setup these addons easily. For example: some days ago I gave my full Doomsday collection to one of my friend, and I needed to write a full page with install-instructions. In 2011 the players got acclimatized that if they install a game, every part of the game will be installed into the correct place, so he has to setup only the graphic and controlls...etc. (like steam-games). I think you loose many players with this difficult install-procedure.

It would be cool to also release a full version - in paralell the new version - which includes all upgraded and pre-configured game-materials (models, textures, sounds, musics...etc., except the wad files of course). The biggest thing would be an auto-updater :)
  • Thanks fo your answer. but ~when will you release the new version? June, July...etc?
    I'm sorry, but it's impossible for us to set any sort of window for the release date. It's done when it's done.

We are also aware of the issues with the launcher and addon management -- there is clear need for improvement. The current plan is to phase out the launcher completely and integrate its functionality into the engine, with better addon management. However, that is not at the top of the priority list, and definitely will not happen for the next stable release.
  • Hey, can I ask if there is any chance of incorporating a new model format into one of the upcoming releases? MD2 is as old as the hills and the modellers are having an increasingly hard time finding tools that work with the format. Also, MD2 suffers from the dreaded 'Jelly' effect where vertices dance around their centres, leading to a 'wobble' effect for models. This is a nightmare when trying to construct a model from different objects have them interact together (eyeballs in a skull for example).

MD3 format would be a help, but that is really old and is having the same problems with support from modern software. Ideally a format with bones would be great such as MD5, but anything a bit more modern would be great.
  • Support for new model formats is planned but it won't be appearing for a while yet. We want to offer more modern formats however it isn't as simple an implementation as a different file reader. DOOM's state/sprite-frame animation system isn't particularly suited as-is for using with modern model formats and will require some significant reworking.

Currently the roadmap lists new 3d model formats as a version 2.1.0 consideration
  • Personally I believe we'll get to refreshing the model formats sooner than 2.1.0 because model rendering is rather a self-contained set of functionality. However, before the work can begin we need a set of building blocks for the revised renderer, and those are only happening after a couple of stable releases down the road.
  • Okay, thanks.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Personally I believe we'll get to refreshing the model formats sooner than 2.1.0 because model rendering is rather a self-contained set of functionality.
    Indeed. It certainly would make sense to do this before we tackle the new world renderer.
  • INteresting... :)

Yeah, that would make it easier to have higher polygon counts, especially without vertices overlapping each other at certain points where they're not supposed to. :)
  • So in other words, we will be waiting at least a decade for certain functionality and more modern stuff. Not sure when the last stable release (1.8.6) came out, but I've had Doomsday since the end of 2006 and still no new "stable" release has truly replaced 1.8.6, AFAIK. So if history is any indication, we will be waiting at least 2 decades? Oh my. That is very discouraging and might kill the port before then. I hope I'm wrong. That's major feature creep.

I haven't played Doom for a while anyways though, (more than 1 year ago) and the last build I used was 1.9.0 beta 8, I believe.
  • we will be waiting at least a decade for certain functionality and more modern stuff.
    It could take a decade or two, or it could take a few months. None of the devteam members are committed to a fixed schedule because this is something we are doing for fun on our spare time. (This shouldn't be news to anyone at this point.)

That being said, I admit that starting the 1.9.0-beta series was a mistake on my part. It has lead to a decrease in code quality and lack of stable releases. That's why I ended it a few months ago and we are now heading back towards maintaining a constantly solid master code base where stable releases can be made at any time.