some bugs [Heretic secret levels; PWAD change]

svlsvl
edited 2019 Dec 3 in General
In heretic, a return from the secret level occurs either to an earlier level, or to a later level than necessary

If you close dd with some installed pwad, and then change this pwad, dd stops seeing iwad. Only deleting or editing games.dei can help

Comments

• edited 2019 Dec 3
    svl wrote: »
    In heretic, a return from the secret level occurs either to an earlier level, or to a later level than necessary
    Could you provide some details, please:
    • Which version of Doomsday are you using.
    • Which version of Heretic.
    • Example of a secret level where this happens (name or E*M*).
    If you close dd with some installed pwad, and then change this pwad, dd stops seeing iwad. Only deleting or editing games.dei can help
    By "change", do you mean you edit the contents of the PWAD? And by "stops seeing iwad" do you mean that the game is not visible in the game library any more?

This may be related: for the upcoming version 2.2, I just implemented a feature where a game's chosen PWADs will get updated to the latest version in case you edit them (and their modification timestamp is therefore changed). This feature will be available in the next build of 2.2 and the next unstable 2.3.
  • skyjake wrote: »
    Could you provide some details, please:
    • Which version of Doomsday are you using.
    • Which version of Heretic.
    • Example of a secret level where this happens (name or E*M*).
    Now I have 2.1.2 (3226). With earlier it was the same
    iwad from heretic 1.3
    I mean third-party megawad, for example WADPAK1.WAD from Magic & Mayhem. Here the transition to the secret level from E1M3, the return occurs to E1M7. With other megawads can be differently
    skyjake wrote: »
    By "change", do you mean you edit the contents of the PWAD? And by "stops seeing iwad" do you mean that the game is not visible in the game library any more?
    Yes, I make some changes to the map, and yes, the game disappears from the library. Rather, all games is not visible.
    wy2xbsfd0ux1.png
    This may be related: for the upcoming version 2.2, I just implemented a feature where a game's chosen PWADs will get updated to the latest version in case you edit them (and their modification timestamp is therefore changed). This feature will be available in the next build of 2.2 and the next unstable 2.3.
    Yes, I think this is due to the timestamp, because deleting pwad information from games.dei restores normal operation
  • edited 2019 Dec 4
    svl wrote: »
    I mean third-party megawad, for example WADPAK1.WAD from Magic & Mayhem. Here the transition to the secret level from E1M3, the return occurs to E1M7. With other megawads can be differently
    I checked out that WAD. It does not modify the secret exits (e.g., with a MAPINFO lump), which means the behavior falls back to vanilla Heretic: the secret map always returns to E1M7 no matter from which map you entered into it.

Did you expect something else? Maybe there is a modding convention I’ve missed regarding secret levels?
    Yes, I make some changes to the map, and yes, the game disappears from the library. Rather, all games is not visible.
    That looks rather bad. One possible reason could be that your data file directory setup is somehow unexpected by Doomsday. How have you configured them? (Screenshot of the Data Files dialog?)
  • edited 2019 Dec 4
    In vanilla Doom1 and Heretic one can place the exit to a secret map on any level they wish, but the level you return to after completing the secret level is hardcoded.
    I checked out that WAD. It does not modify the secret exits (e.g., with a MAPINFO lump), which means the behavior falls back to vanilla Heretic: the secret map always returns to E1M7 no matter from which map you entered into it.
    And how is it done in the original heretic.wad? There, the return occurs where necessary, for example, E2M4-E2M9-E2M5. There seems to be no mapinfo lump or I'm wrong?
    That looks rather bad. One possible reason could be that your data file directory setup is somehow unexpected by Doomsday. How have you configured them? (Screenshot of the Data Files dialog?)
    iwad is located in the Data folder, in the same place jhrp. They are picked up automatically73mqtkppaiw0.png
    Vermil wrote: »
    In vanilla Doom1 and Heretic one can place the exit to a secret map on any level they wish, but the level you return to after completing the secret level is hardcoded.
    But then, in order to maintain a normal sequence of maps, one would have to go to a secret level only from E1M6. However, this is not so, which means it is not very hardcoded :)
  • I meant you can place the exit to ExM9 on any map in an episode, but the level you return to after completing ExM9 is hardcoded.
  • It is clear that the transition to ExM9 can be placed on any map, even on everything. But how does a return to E2M5 or E5M4 in the original heretic.wad if return to ExM7 is hardcoded.
    Some megawads in Magic & Mayhem (e.g. EP5A.WAD, TEUTIC.WAD) return to ExM5
  • svl wrote: »
    But how does a return to E2M5 or E5M4 in the original heretic.wad if return to ExM7 is hardcoded.
    The hardcoded returns from ExM9 are:
    • E1M9 → E1M7
    • E2M9 → E2M5
    • E3M9 → E3M5
    • E4M9 → E4M5
    • E5M9 → E5M4

And to be more accurate, these aren't actually hardcoded; the progression from ExM9 is defined in the MAPINFO data and can be redefined. (In Doomsday, one could also use the Episode definition to do the same.)
  • @svl It could be helpful to see your doomsday.out log file from a run where you've edited the PWAD and your IWADs (and other packages) disappear. At the moment I'm not exactly sure how to reproduce the issue.
  • The levels you return to are hardcoded in Vanilla Heretic. Vanilla Doom and Heretic didn't have MAPINFO.
  • svlsvl
    edited 2019 Dec 5
    no rights for attachment
  • svlsvl
    edited 2019 Dec 5
    no rights for attachment
    the progression from ExM9 is defined in the MAPINFO data and can be redefined. (In Doomsday, one could also use the Episode definition to do the same.)
    In the wiki, I read that MAPINFO introduced in Hexen, which means it is not in Heretic. Or is it not so?
    @svl It could be helpful to see your doomsday.out log file from a run where you've edited the PWAD and your IWADs (and other packages) disappear. At the moment I'm not exactly sure how to reproduce the issue.
    There are 4 files
    doomsday_good.out - all is well
    doomsday_error.out - after changing pwad I did nothing and closed Doomsday
    doomsday_try1.out - I tried to assign the folder "data". The pwad folder disappeared, * .ded files appeared, which were in the subfolder "data \ jhrp". I closed Doomsday
    doomsday_try2.out - I added a folder with pwad

Windows 7x64, Doomsday x32
  • Vermil wrote: »
    The levels you return to are hardcoded in Vanilla Heretic. Vanilla Doom and Heretic didn't have MAPINFO.
    I realized, in every episode the original return.
  • @svl Thanks for the logs. For the next build(s), I made some tweaks that should prevent the errors from happening.

Please note that Doomsday always adds its own "data" folder as a folder where data files are loaded. You don't need to manually add it yourself.