Heretic Treasure Chest

edited 2015 Jun 22 in Heretic
There is a Heretic megawad called "Heretic Treasure Chest" (htchst.wad)! The description says: "The HTC was a community project aiming to make a 3 episode Heretic Megawad that would run on limit removing ports that support Heretic (i.e. Doomsday, ZDoom etc)". Here's the download link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... tchest.zip

Multiple times I tried to play that wad with Doomsday Engine Frontend but starting the frontend it shows up in the map list for DOOM instead of Heretic. Point is when I chose to play HERETIC with the Doomsday Engine Frontend and the filter is set "only compatible", it shows ONLY Heretic pwads to chose from, but not "htchest.wad" although it's used to be a Heretic pwad!

If I change the Doomsday Engine Frontend to play DOOM strangewise "htchest.wad" is listed among "only compatible" pwads which makes no sense to me!

So it seems not to be compatible with Doomsday! Does Doomsday not support limit removing or what is wrong with Heretic Treasure Chest?

Comments

• edited 2015 Apr 29
    The HTC should work flawlessly with Dday. It contains both a MAPINFO lump for ZDoom based ports and also a Map Info ded definition for Dday that both add a few bells and whistles for their respective ports, like correct map names.

However, the Snowberry launcher (which is completely separate from Dday itself) attempts to guess what game a mod is for by analysing it's lumps; as far as I am aware, there is no way to disable this behaviour.

It assumes that any pwad that contains a MAPINFO lump is for HeXen; but as you can see with the HTC, this particular case can cause Snowberry to miscategorise wads.

Though note that the upcoming Dday 1.15 will contain partial support for MAPINFO lumps in Doom and Heretic (the lump originated in HeXen and various other ports such as ZDoom both expanded it's feature set and extended it to support other games; Dday is beginning to do this with 1.15) and this will cause the HTC's episode select menu to be slightly buggered.
  • Which means it's not playable in Doomsday?
  • edited 2015 Apr 29
    The HTC is fully playable in Dday; it's just the Snowberry launcher doesn't think it is.

The short answer: Launch Heretic and bring down the console. Then type 'load C:\folder\path\here\htchest.wad'. Or use the -file command line option under the Snowberry developer tab.

The long answer: The Snowberry launcher has long stopped being updated because it is intended to be retired soon and replaced by a WIP GUI within Dday itself called Ring Zero, which can be accessed by launching Dday without selecting a game (Snowberry doesn't allow this, but one can launch Doomsday.exe directly) or via the unload game option on the taskbar.

Currently this gui has no mod loading functionality, however one can use the above mentioned load console command to load any mod, if you know the file path.
  • Thanks for the info! Looking forward to see what Ring Zero can do!
  • thats kinda hard as how heretic is set up is exactly like doom that why the confusion with the launcher but having the parameter of -fire still works even in the launcher.
  • wyland wrote:
    Multiple times I tried to play that wad with Doomsday Engine Frontend but starting the frontend it shows up in the map list for DOOM instead of Heretic. Point is when I chose to play HERETIC with the Doomsday Engine Frontend and the filter is set "only compatible", it shows ONLY Heretic pwads to chose from, but not "htchest.wad" although it's used to be a Heretic pwad!
    Fixed in 1.15.0