Sapphire Wand

123457»

Comments

• The model's are great as always.

Though there appears to be a small mistake in the Gauntlet's animation; it briefly flickers into the idle state between multiple punches.

A couple of nitpicks with the Gauntlet's model though; the hand looks a little small compared to the arm and 'looks' a little like it is tilted slightly toward the camera, rather than pointing fully in the direction the arm is?

I also wonder what the hand would look like if the bit's between the knuckles were a darker shade? On the sprite, the hand and arm band were more similar in colour.
  • I may be missing something. The Gauntlets at rest look like models but the punch looks like a high definition sprite, am I wrong?
  • thats just how good he is at this
  • edited 2017 Sep 11
    Vermil wrote:
    a small mistake in the Gauntlet's animation; it briefly flickers into the idle state between multiple punches.
    The current doomsday animation system doesn't allow me to have an alternative start point for "A-Refire" action. Or I could cut "ready" to "attack" animation transition and have a popping "ready" model after each attack.
    Vermil wrote:
    he hand looks a little small compared to the arm and 'looks' a little like it is tilted slightly toward the camera, rather than pointing fully in the direction the arm is?
    You know you are very picky Vermil? ;)
    The model exactly match the sprite at key frames.
    H-Gauntlets_03.png
    You may suffer from camera perspective effect. I can't control one's personal camera settings.
    Vermil wrote:
    I also wonder what the hand would look like if the bit's between the knuckles were a darker shade? On the sprite, the hand and arm band were more similar in color.
    As I said before, the "ready" and "attack" arm shapes are not match in sprites. I can't do the same coloring as sprite for a fingers without affecting the fist in the attack state. Although I can make it a bit darker.
  • these gauntlets have such smooth curves, I never thought I'd see the day. Maybe you would consider making a new bell for the tower? I've always hated the one we have.
  • Just logged in to say that those gauntlets look amazing Veirdo! I absolutely love the model and texture style! Excellent.
  • edited 2017 Sep 11
    Feature Crystal Vial v1.2
    Classic look, particle effects with bobbing, showcasing (spinning), translucent liquid.
    Feature Quartz Flask v1.2
    Classic look, particle effects with bobbing, showcasing (spinning), translucent liquid.
    wip2.png

All other tableware will be modified soon.

This little rework timed for a next HexenAuthenticResourcePack (XARP) which should be here
  • Yeah, I am extremely picky. I don't believe simply say X looks good or bad is the best form of feedback for WIP things. I probably have said such uninformative phrases at some point though.

The perspective of the sprite is pretty poor, though partially because of the requirement to appear to hit the middle of the screen.

I suppose the perspective anomalies look a little more noticeable on your model because of the 'higher resolution' and because the sprite doesn't look like it has the finger to the right of the thumb as far down as yours.
  • Yes, the model's last phalanx are longer than sprite. Not only anatomic correction, but the correction for the sprite in a "ready" state, which is from "gauntlets of necromancer" sprite.
  • Hi Veirdo

I was not visiting this thread during long time, but your new models are awesome! Especialy flechette explosions and spiked gauntlets HUD model.

Keep it going! It's very interesting, how other hexen models and how heretic models will look like.
  • Long time no news. How are things going Veirdo? I`m anxious to see some more of your work.
  • Mathuzzz wrote:
    Long time no news. How are things going Veirdo? I`m anxious to see some more of your work.
    I think better to wait for news here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1887
  • To be honest, I don't think we will see anything new until the new model renderer is more finalized (i.e all the model makers are waiting).
  • Hi people! theleo_ua right, my work at this thread are suspended as soon as I heard about the new model formats. I'm digging deep into studiomdl (as one of doomsday supported), but not have much time lately. Our studio is preparing to release a Skyforge game, and I spent most of my free time on it. Nevertheless, the new model of the sapphire wand is almost done, and I can share it with Skyjake for implementation in the engine before the Christmas holidays.
  • My holidays will likely be spent polishing 1.15 into a final stable condition, so don't feel rushed :). After we have 1.15 finished, I will return to working on the model rendering in addition to other OpenGL improvement tasks (like setting up some groundwork for OpenGL 3/4 support).

I agree it's appropriate that work on the obsolete MD2 format is pretty much discontinued at this point. Everyone should be spending their time working on/learning about skeletal animation and normal/specular/etc. mapping using more modern formats.