Heretic Episode III - Final Screen Cut Off

edited 2013 Jun 1 in Heretic
Sorry, if this has been discussed before. Couldn't find anything about this somewhat minor issue,
been googling for an hour or so.

After defeating D'Sparil, the blue screen containing the final text message is cut off.

The last line ist just showing the upper half of the letters (But then again, what about the other),
the segment "serpent riders" doesn't appear at all.

Curiously, changing resolution to all different 4:3 or 16:9 modes doesn't solve the problem (been playing on Samsung full-hd 16:9), the
text is always cut off the same way. One of the title screens may be cut off, too. It is cut somewhat abruptly after stating "sound drivers... paul radek".

I'm using the latest stable release of the Doomsday engine.

Is there a known workaround for this problem?

Cheers,

nietzsche666

Comments

• Hi nietzsche666
    The last line ist just showing the upper half of the letters (But then again, what about the other),
    the segment "serpent riders" doesn't appear at all.
    On the latest stable DDay v1.10-2 I also see it - the text does not fit on the screen:
    0_b669c_92283b31_L.jpg
    I think - there is a little problem here.
  • Indeed, this is a very long standing issue that began occurring around the time the wide screen support was added IIRC.

There's also the even more long standing issue that the background flat animates (On E2 and 3 endings), which it didn't in Vanilla Heretic.
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

No workaround then, I guess?

(I normally wouldn't even bother, but it was indeed a bit of a letdown not being able to read the full text after defeating
    that nasty boss wizard on highest difficulty settings. As I never played the game when it was still fresh I didn't
    even know how much of the text was missing - had to look that up in the internet...)
  • so, any workaround about it? yes/no ?

here is after e4m8, last screen from dosbox, 3 first with doomsday
    38fc2dd1caff.jpg 6d9753a06510.jpg 6e2b93ea3b9c.jpg

36632e738a8f.jpg
  • Clearly the issue is too great a line height. No there is no workaround at present.
  • hmm no, i think it's just letter size)
  • try767 wrote:
    hmm no, i think it's just letter size)
    Yes the vertical height of the letters ;)
  • Temporarily, we can scaling Finales text to fit on the screen. I tested - the value of 0.9 is suitable. If someone needs, you can try to use this simple fix in this time. I tested with DDay 1.10-3.
  • @PVS - thanks a lot for the work on the problem.

I'm going to test it next week when I'm back at my other gamers PC.

Are there any links to faqs or instructions on how to handle those .ded files?
  • Put ded-file from attachment in the Snowberry\Addons folder, run Snowberry and go on Heretic -> Addons tab, where activate this file. Run Heretic game and testing finales screens.