Bias Lights

edited 2013 Apr 9 in DOOM
I'm trying to understand how bias lights work. I used the console to create one for some lighting in an otherwise dark area, but after reviewing the .DED file and including it, nothing I tried seemed to make a noticeable difference. Are they for dynamic lighting, or simply changing the color?
SkipIf Not doom2

Light {
  Map = "map02|madwzrd|pwad|doom2"
  Origin { 3384.92 1276.46 40.615 }
  Color { 0.348595 0.438895 1 }
  Intensity = 200
  Sector levels { 40 60 }
}

Even from reading the wiki, I'm not sure I understand what Sector levels does. The ambient sector light is 50.

Comments

• Bias light sources are another kind of dynamic light source, however they are not the same thing as a "dynamic light". They share the same Light definition structure because our intention is for very large "dynamic lights" to be automatically converted to Bias sources by the engine.

What are you expecting them to do?

Not all properties of the Light definition are applicable to Bias lights. See the wiki for more info: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Light
  • I was thinking that it would be a point source of light which would radiate outward and light the room, like a torch does somewhat but without having to place the torch object there.

From reviewing the wiki again, it seems like I have to define the other values in the Light object in addition to what it generated.
  • Bias lights are indeed point light sources. No, you don't have to specify anything more than what you already have. Are you enabling bias lighting? You won't get anything unless its enabled (remember to restart the map after enabling rend-bias-grid):
    rend-bias 1
    rend-bias-grid 1

• Thanks! I'll need to try it on my better computer, it works but I'm not sure it's rendering correctly on my laptop - most models are completely dark (i.e. they are dead on a lit surface, but no light is reflecting off of them), there seems to be no sector lighting at all except outdoors. I did enable the bias and bias grid and restarted after that. I'm going to chalk it up to the laptop I use for editing being like 6 years old. Thanks for the help!
  • The bias lighting model is still under development and there will be various problems such as bias sources not affecting 3D model lighting. Basically, its not finished yet.
  • I understand, it does look awesome though! I'm paying attention to the dev twitter feed, definitely looking forward to the next major release. Thanks!
  • Maybe someone has an example definitions with Bias Light? For any games - Doom, Heretic, Hexen?
  • You can produce them yourself using the in-game Bias lighting editor. Start a map then use the command "makecam 0" to turn the player into a camera. Now enter "bledit" to begin editing. Create a new light source with "blnew", position it by flying around the map and use the other bl* commands to adjust it's properties. When done, enter the command "blsave" to write your Bias light sources to a new DED file in the runtime directory.
  • Bind keys for editor commands and work with in-game Bias lighting very easy and interesting. Excellent addition, thanks! Even though this work is not finished. But I'm new in the level lighting design and wanted to look how work with Bias light on example of other people. This feature present in the engine since 2005, but today I can't find definitions with Bias light...

Well, I will try to be the master of the light!
    ;)
  • KuriKai made perhaps the only bias light defs that were released, back when the feature was first implemented. Back then the rest of the Deng team told him to hold off for the time being as the feature wasn't ready yet. Probably beyond a long shot that he still has them.
  • http://depositfiles.com/files/nd2fxan5v

Found it in my folder.

EDIT - sorry first link was a crappy upload site. Hope this works.
  • Thanks Beylie, the link works!
    I think these are the files, which Vermil said. Files are dated 2005.
  • "Biaseditor" section for the binding keys - still present in the engine today? For example - this old binding command format don't work for me on Doomsday 1.10:
    bind biaseditor +f5 "blnew"

If still here but changed - please give an example of a new binding command format directly for Bias lighting editor.
  • The Bias editing commands are still present however the syntax for binding commands to input events has changed.
  • Of course, I see bias commands in the console, but I mean - is it possible to assign a key only for "Bias lighting editor" mode in the new engine? I'm trying to find need bind command for this and write them in the "Bindings.cfg", but without success:
    bindevent "biaseditor:key-f5-down" "blnew"
    bindevent biaseditor:key-f5 { blnew }
    bindevent "game:key-f5-down + biaseditor" "blnew"

etc... but even if engine safe my new command in "Bindings.cfg" It converts them in "game" binding contexts section and keys works in the main game-mode.
    In older DDay versions we can bind keys like this:
    bind biaseditor +f5 "blnew"

and console command "blnew" works if pressed F5 only if I'm in Bias lighting editor mode now. On the Doomsday 1.10 - possible to do so? If I understand Wiki correctly - it maybe need a new "Binding contexts" section for this?

In this page: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Bias_lighting I see this: "The new world renderer will likely obsolete the entire bias lighting system. Should this be dropped?". And if talking about the Bias Light system is not actual today - you tell me guys. It is unfortunate that I have found this feature only recently.

Anyway this is not a big problem, of course. I really liked this feature and I will try to learn!