Joystick control issues

edited 2012 Nov 13 in Technical Support
Thanks for making the staging (or ramping) effect for joysticks to be optional!
Also thanks for making each axis customizable, these features are much appreciated!
There are just 2 issues I have at this point:
(Windows7 with a 3dmouse, using joystick interface)

ctl-turn-speed and ctl-look-speed don't seem to work
I assume these control rotation speeds for joystick and keyboard, just like cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed in Quake? These don't seem to affect rotational speed. Also, why should there be a limit? If I try setting over 5 it's gives me a message saying that's over the limit.

input-joy-x-scale doesn't actually take affect
I posted this back in Aug2011, but it's still true with 1.9.7
I barely move the x axis and it goes full speed, as if the scale is very high.

Let's say you set all axis scales to 0.0000000000001
You shouldn't get much movement if any at all.
This is true for all axis, except input-joy-x-scale for some reason.
It seems that input-joy-x-scale is ignored. Stuck at some value.
Since it's first on the list, perhaps its because of a loop starting at 1 instead of starting at 0?

Thanks for you consideration!

Comments

• How do you adjust the axis sensitivity? It turns way too fast. That is the main reason I still use the Pinnicle game profiler.
  • I bet you have x axis bound to turn.
    I have this in my bindings.cfg
    located at \Users\(username)\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime\configs\

bindcontrol local1-sidestep "joy-x"
    bindcontrol local1-walk "joy-y-inverse"
    bindcontrol local1-zfly "joy-z"
    bindcontrol local1-look "joy-w"
    bindcontrol local1-turn "joy-axis06"

My x axis is bound to strafe, even with a low scale just the slightest touch makes it go full speed.
    If you have x axis bound to turn you're gonna have a hard time aiming, just like using keys to aim.

To change scale type input-joy then press tab to auto-complete into the console, it'll show you all the axis variables you can alter. You can also just alter them in the game.cfg located in the the same area as the bindings.cfg

However, as far as I can tell the x scale isn't functioning properly.
  • Check out Monday's upcoming build #479 of 1.9.8 (candidate) for a fix.
  • With the sensitivity fix, I won't have to use the Pinnicle game profiler for Doomsday. Once the fix is implemented, the question is how to adjust the axis sensitivity. I don't know how to do so in the command line. It only lists something like .0000001. Whatever that means. How is that number useful, especially if it is not changeable?
  • Hypersonic has already described how to change the axis movement scaling factors a few posts above this one. These scale factors control how sensitive each axis is.
  • Those are his settings he is describing and seem a bit confusing. It doesn't explain what I need to do, as far as I know. I guess I should have tried to edit the settings in the file instead of the console since when making the values appear in the console, I could see the values but couldn't change anything. This was sometime back when he made that post that I tried that. Also, I guess they won't be able to apply until Monday's build.
  • Joystick config is difficult at the moment because we don't have a proper GUI for things like calibration and sensitivity/deadzone adjustment. We'll get to creating such a GUI eventually...

The meaning of the axis scale is that it converts the raw value produced by the device (from -10,000 to 10,000) to the normalized (-1.0 ... 1.0) value used by the controller logic. That's why it is such a small number: 0.0001 x 10,000 = 1.0.
  • I see that this ticket was closed today http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... p_id=74815

For about a year now I've been posting here trying to get the best Doomsday control from my 6axis joystick. It was improving, then now in 1.9.8 I can't move via joystick at all. 1.9.7 still works with my joystick (and all other applications.) I assume 1.9.7 and 1.9.8 use the same config directory in the user subfolders? I would like to check it out with the intermediate values fixed, oh well.
  • I still use Pinnicle game profiler for Doomsday because I can't adjust the sensitivity of the axis, even through the command line. I can only make the values appear in the console, but entering a new value won't change the default value. It is broken, I think. Also it is said to be broken. Until this is rectified, I will continue using Pinnicle with Doomsday.
  • HyperSonic wrote:
    For about a year now I've been posting here trying to get the best Doomsday control from my 6axis joystick. It was improving, then now in 1.9.8 I can't move via joystick at all. 1.9.7 still works with my joystick (and all other applications.) I assume 1.9.7 and 1.9.8 use the same config directory in the user subfolders? I would like to check it out with the intermediate values fixed, oh well.
    For the record, I am somewhat limited in my capacity to do anything about joystick support; with my Mac and gamepad everything is working as expected in 1.9.8. On other systems your mileage may vary. Perhaps DaniJ can help you at some point, if you're running Windows.

I just tried running #511 in a Windows virtual machine. I had to set input-joy to 1 (i.e., "Enable joystick" in the Control Panel), after which I was able to bind the buttons and axes in the Controls menu and use the gamepad normally. (By default in a clean install, input-joy should already be 1.)
  • I am testing the x axis since it was said to have been fixed, but changing the values doesn't make it turn more slowly and often just disables the x axis while leaving only the y axis intact. I tested both scaling and deadzone; not sure of the difference though. Sometimes adjusting the value just makes the x axis turn itself very slowly without me pressing anything until I toggle the menu on and off, but when pressing the x axis, turning speed still acts like it is at max. So no, it has not been fixed.
  • Your description sounds to me like it is working as expected.

If you remove the deadzone (setting it to a tiny value) then it is expected that the view will "drift"; this is the whole purpose behind the deadzone - its a subsection of the allowed value range, which, if the axis is within this range it is "dead" i.e., no minor deviations in value will be considered, thereby stopping the drift.

I'd don't actually own a gamepad at present because my 360 controller died a while back. I'll pickup a new one this week and do some tests.
  • anything ever happen with your new 360 controller dani, i'm pulling my hair out here :-)
  • Yeah, stupidly I lent it out to someone and unfortunately it ended up being broke before I even got around to the testing...

I'm not sure I understand what your particular problem is, though I've heard nothing but problems from users attempting to use Pinnacle Game Profiler's joystick stuff with Doomsday. It shouldn't be necessary to use anything like that with Doomsday as it implements its own joystick code.
  • Yea ive tried it both ways with and without pinnacle and the joystick runs around all over he plave even with deadzone at 100, read my post on technical support, it shows in detail what i all i have tried, l'm really excited to play doomsday again but cant because pof the controlls