Absolutely refuses to load hexen.wad

edited 2012 Jun 11 in Technical Support
Doom2 works fine. Heretic works fine. But somehow doomsday refuses to load hexen.wad, or even acknowledge that the file exists. I've tried multiple copies of hexen.wad.

Here is the weird part.. If i have heretic AND doom2 AND hexen, OR just hexen in the wad folder, the console comes up when i try to launch hexen. If I type 'load hexen' it says failed to load all resources... hexen.wad - missing. BUT, if I have ONLY heretic and hexen in the wad folder, it just automatically loads heretic.

I wasted over an hour on this already... very, very frustrating..

this is doomsday 1.9.7 on win7, with snowberry

Comments

• It would appear your version of hexen.wad is unrecognised by Doomsday. Have you patched it to the latest version? Is it the demo?

If there is only one installed and recognised game, Doomsday will by default load that game unless you specify -noautoselect on the command line. This default behavior is for the convenience of users who only wish to play one game.

If there are multiple playable games available then Doomsday will default to starting in "ringzero" mode if you don't specify a playable game, allowing you to specify the game you wish to play using the load command from the console.
  • happened to me a week ago with ultimate doom.
    manually set the directory and name it "HEXEN.WAD" plus use "default size".

md5 of the HEXEN.WAD can be looked here:
    http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/HEXEN.WAD
  • Yes, I needed to upgrade to hexen 1.1, thank you! I have to say it would have been much more helpful if doomsday said
    that hexen.wad was invalid/unsupported version/bad md5, rather than saying that hexen.wad was missing. This was very confusing.

Also, somehow in the meantime snowberry somehow stopped working. When I launch it it the icon shows up minimized on the taskbar, clicking it does nothing. But, at least I can play without it.
  • edited 2012 May 14
    Dday expects the final version Iwads for all games; it expects to find certain graphics and such in them, that wern't present in some earlier versions of the Iwads.

HeXen is a unique case though; Doom and Heretic were both re-released with their final version Iwad's (1.9 and 1.3 respectively). HeXen was not outside of the insanely rare Towers of Darkness compilation. Hence 99.9....% of people have to patch their copies of HeXen to the latest version (1.1), to be able to use it on Dday.

Personally, I think the Towers of Darkness release was so rare though, that I would discard it.

HeXen DK was never re-released with it's final version Iwad (even the Towers release included 1.0), however Dday will run with the 1.0 or 1.1 DK Iwad without fatally aborting; you just won't get any non-CD music with a 1.0 Iwad (this is also true of the original Dos version).

The above is based off the boxed releases; I don't know what version the steam releases are.

EDIT: Some digging indicates that the Steam version of HeXen is 1.1 and HeXen DK is 1.0. The ID Store version of HeXen is apparently 1.0; HeXen DK isn't on the ID store.
    tjcbs wrote:
    Also, somehow in the meantime snowberry somehow stopped working. When I launch it it the icon shows up minimized on the taskbar, clicking it does nothing. But, at least I can play without it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1039&p=6821#p6820

This might be the cause?
  • Vermil wrote:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1039&p=6821#p6820

This might be the cause?

Yup, thanks! I think I was pissed off and killed it from task manager :)
  • tjcbs wrote:
    Yes, I needed to upgrade to hexen 1.1, thank you! I have to say it would have been much more helpful if doomsday said that hexen.wad was invalid/unsupported version/bad md5, rather than saying that hexen.wad was missing. This was very confusing.
    The difficulty here is that we cannot generically determine whether a file that isn't the correct one is merely another version of the same file. I appreciate that saying the file is missing is more readily interpreted as meaning "not present", however, that is precisely the case - the 1.1 version of hexen.wad was indeed missing.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    The difficulty here is that we cannot generically determine whether a file that isn't the correct one is merely another version of the same file. I appreciate that saying the file is missing is more readily interpreted as meaning "not present", however, that is precisely the case - the 1.1 version of hexen.wad was indeed missing.
    It should say "bad hexen.wad" then.
  • We can look into improving the status message for a future release, however as I alluded to, its not as simple as that. In order to change the message as you describe we would need to store additional state data and extend the resource locator accordingly to track whether individual resource files failed to pass validation.
  • a sticky post with the md5 of every .wad could also help for the users as information ;)

MD5 CHECK:

Doom
    1CD63C5DDFF1BF8CE844237F580E9CF3
    Doom 2
    25E1459CA71D321525F84628F45CA8CD
    Ultimate Doom
    C4FE9FD920207691A9F493668E0A2083
    Doom Plutonia Addon
    3493BE7E1E2588BC9C8B31EAB2587A04
    Doom TNT Addon
    1D39E405BF6EE3DF69A8D2646C8D5C49
    CHEX
    25485721882B050AFA96A56E5758DD52
    HACX
    65ED74D522BDF6649C2831B13B9E02B4
    Heretic
    66D686B1ED6D35FF103F15DBD30E0341
    Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders Addon
    66D686B1ED6D35FF103F15DBD30E0341
    Hexen
    ABB033CAF81E26F12A2103E1FA25453F
    HEXDD
    78D5898E99E220E4DE64EDAA0E479593
    Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel Addon
    1077432E2690D390C256AC908B5F4EFA
  • I think your MD5 for Heretic is incorrect, since it can't be the same as the patched Heretic 1.3 (which is correct, I checked it with my WAD). Also, which version are your TNT and Plutonia WADs? the ones I use have different MD5 checksums.

Regards.